Undercovers Forums

NBC (ended 2010)

How much do YOU hate Undercovers?

How much do YOU hate Undercovers?

Pi

[1]Oct 2, 2010
    • level: 10

Normally I don't go to the forums of a show I don't like just to bash it out of respect for fans of the show that DO enjoy it. Actually, this will be the first time I've EVER done it, so I hope anyone out there that actually enjoys Undercovers will forgive me. I guess I feel entitled to stop by, however, since I was a big fan of the show.........right up until I began to watch the pilot. Seriously, I was extremely excited about Undercovers - I looked forward to seeing it as much or more than any other show to hit the airwaves this season. I'm a big fan of JJ.......love Lost......love Fringe......enjoyed Alias (at least for the first couple of seasons - after that it got pretty awful and ridiculous but I still watched it as a bit of a guilty pleasure).........enjoyed his films although I'm a much bigger fan of his television projects. Anyhow, I looked forward to the premiere so very much.

I have to say, though, I am SORELY disappointed. Words cannot describe how awful I find this program. I absolutely abhor it when people call for the cancellation of a show they don't happen to enjoy. After all, you don't have to watch it! Why hope for something that will disappoint others that enjoy the program when it is doing you no harm? I find myself scanning the ratings information after watching the steaming pile of feces that masqueraded as "episode 2", however, looking for a headline I was sure would read "Undercovers becomes second casualty of the season - NBC puts biggest embarrassment since Cavemen out of its misery". Alas, it was not there, and now I have resigned myself to the cruel punishment of having to watch episode 3, being the optimist that I am, hoping the first two were simply some sort of evil Halloween prank and that the REAL Undercovers will begin in all its wondrous glory beginning next week.

I didn't think it possible to be more annoyed, frustrated, and dismayed than I was after the Pilot episode. After watching the farce they call episode 2, however, I have moved past disappointment to anger. I can only liken my viewing experience to watching a sporting event where your favorite team, in a game of utmost importance, seems to do EVERYTHING wrong to the extent you're sure as you sit there watching that were you to be teleported out onto the field, YOU could do a better job. This was the feeling I got while watching Undercovers. Never have I seen a project by such a quality producer end up as such a hodgepodge of wretched acting, atrocious storylines, cringe-inducing "humor", intelligence-insulting plot devices, detestable characters, and irritating dialog. What the heck Abrams was thinking when he concocted this abomination is beyond me.

Where shall I start in describing what I didn't like about this stinker? Perhaps it would be quicker to list the things that I DID like? Nothing? How about things I found tolerable? Neat locations I suppose.......although I'd MUCH rather watch the Travel Channel to see pretty locales than subject myself to more of this festering boil bursting from the nose of NBC's fall schedule. The writing is SO horrendous. The show doesn't seem to know if it wants to be a straight comedy or a serious spy-themed serial drama, and the writers' indecision causes it to fail miserably at both. The characters are all horribly miscast. These bumbling buffoons are supposed to be seasoned spies? They'd be more believable as caterers - or circus clowns. They spend more time thinking up not-so-clever wisecracks and bickering amongst each other than working the case they're assigned. It becomes so annoying watching them cycle through their "argue - make cute "spy-couple" joke - get jealous - make miraculous deduction to advance the case - move on to next scene" formula that I wanted to extract the hair from my scalp by the fistful. Throughout the first episode I kept thinking "at least they didn't add some ridiculous unfunny sidekick to make even more stupid jokes". Oops. They saved that extra little turd.......err.........I mean tidbit for the SECOND episode! Oh joy!

Speaking of sidekicks, that guy is more annoying than Jar-Jar. The way he kept saying "made sex" to the chagrin of Steven!?! You could tell the actor or writer or whomever thought his lines up thought it was SO clever and hilarious. His only function in the show is to be a walking cliche. His voice and attitude are like nails on a chalkboard. He overacted his scenes to such an extent that he made a complete farce out of every scene he participated in.

I could go on and on - maybe I'll add more tomorrow - but it's late and I'm going to put this review out of its misery like what should have been done to this show when those in charge first laid eyes on the stinker of a pilot. I'm curious though - are all the other Abrams fans here as disappointed as I am? Does everyone else find it so cliched and all aspects so completely atrocious and insulting to your intelligence as to actually become angry while watching it? Post and vote here.

My final grade?

Rotten to the core, inside and out........through and through............

If it were a Halloween candy it would have a loathsome, putrescent, tooth-chipping, stone-like exterior shell with a soft, gooey turd at its delectable center.........

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

hehatemi

[2]Oct 2, 2010
    • level: 1
    Hate it?! I will never understand why so many are "pissed off" by this show. Its a good 8o'clock show to watch and the cast, minus Leo, is ok.

jack756

[3]Oct 3, 2010
    • level: 14
    hehatemi wrote:
    Hate it?! I will never understand why so many are "pissed off" by this show. Its a good 8o'clock show to watch and the cast, minus Leo, is ok.
    i agree this show is really good there no confusing stories line that alias ,lost and fringe sometimes get into this show is very easy to follow and i think that ppl problem with it its to easy i guess but thats why i like it it doesnt treat me like im so slow.

Yaspaa

[4]Oct 4, 2010
    • level: 79
    It's more like a summer show.

AdmiralX

[5]Oct 6, 2010
    • level: 5

With the simple fact that JJ Abrams is simply the hot name of the month. It doesn't surprise me that Undercovers is flopping. I haven't agreed with anything he has done in his career. Cloverfield was conceived simply because he envied the Godzilla merchandise on a trip to Japan. Star Trek was a complete sexed up train wreck and spat in the face of ALL Trekkies everywhere. Lost got lost somewhere with too many stories crossing. Alias was great but hit the wall when he screwed up the story direction. Fringe was great, but just like Alias, once they revealed certain elements from the Parallel universe, it loses steam and direction. Undercovers was ALL hype, just like most things JJ touches.

Watching this show die a quick death hopefully puts Abrams career in perspective for viewers.

He's nothing but the current flavor of the month, nothing more.

Edited on 10/06/2010 8:43pm
    Edited 2 total times.

ott666

[6]Oct 7, 2010
    • level: 8
    jack756 wrote:
    hehatemi wrote:
    i agree this show is really good there no confusing stories line that alias ,lost and fringe sometimes get into this show is very easy to follow and i think that ppl problem with it its to easy i guess but thats why i like it it doesnt treat me like im so slow.

The show insults most people's intelligence. Maybe that's why some people love the show.

Igarka

[7]Oct 7, 2010
    • level: 12
    This show is all surface and no depth, its sad really, Im watching due to JJ, but not for much longer.

pgsuperfan

[8]Oct 7, 2010
    • level: 25

hate is a very strong word but I do not dislike UNDERCOVERS I kind of like it

haldrey

[9]Oct 14, 2010
    • level: 22
    ott666 wrote:
    jack756 wrote:
    hehatemi wrote:

The show insults most people's intelligence. Maybe that's why some people love the show.

Then I am insulted because I like it and if you watch it without the 'hate' screen in front you 'll find out that the show is improving with every episode.

jack756

[10]Oct 15, 2010

i agree... i jus posted something like this... the show is getting good every epsiode... theres so many secrets and stuff going on especailly between the couple...i think people dont like this show b/c its to easy to follow and thats why i like its not so difficult to get into like lost....(i want to watch lost but my sister says by the end it gets so confusing i hate shows thats very hard to follow but u knw some ppl like dat)

Vesper-Lynd

[11]Oct 16, 2010
    • level: 18
    Igarka wrote:
    This show is all surface and no depth, its sad really,
    Really agree with this. While I also think that the show has definitely improved since the first episode or two, something doesn't quite feel sincere about it, for lack of better word.

RNeville

[12]Oct 18, 2010
    • level: 6

I was very excited when i heard this show was created by the person behind lost and fringe since im a fan of both. Even more so when i read the show summery "Think Mr. and Mrs.smith meets the Bourne Identity"Unfortunate it was neither, it lacks even the slightest resemblance to those movies since it has neither humor nor realism nor plot depth in any way.

From the simplistic and superficial writing of the show it seems this would be a better fit being played by kids for kids on Disney-channel.

mattgus

[13]Oct 20, 2010
    there are too many things wrong with this show to list..but you have done a good job...you can feel the "something wrong with this"and not always know why..i find myself irritated with the main players and don't know exactly why,like it is off balance...the leads are way too far fetched. they have to be far more clever and comedic for that stuff to work..ie...this irritating perfect couple...you can't always have a hit. josh weadon saw that too. he'll have another good program i'm sure...

mange85

[14]Oct 21, 2010
    • level: 6

I don´t what to say or write about this new show called Undercovers, it´s kind of boring show to watch, its a standard show, nothing else.
    Undercovers is for me, is like watching Parenthood/Life Unexpected with only more action instead.
    The show is boring and pointless to watch, i say cancel this show, before its to late.
    i do not hate this show, but its a bad nad a useless show to watch...

Writerpatrick

[15]Oct 22, 2010
    • level: 13

I like it because it's a spy show but I don't see a long future in the show. And for a spy show, it's not as good a Chuck.

The ratings indicate the NBC will probably keep it around for the year but I have little faith in a renewal.

jack756

[16]Oct 22, 2010

the ratings are good so i do see a full season but i dont know if itll make it a season 2 but im hoping

Mental_Micky

[17]Nov 13, 2010
    • level: 8

Sucks
    Lizzy Gilliam, the stereotype gayguy in the kitchen, the whole kitchen storyline and the the writing in general!

Bearable
    SamanthaBloom, StevenBloom, Leo Nash, the show in general.

Great
    Carlton Shaw, Bill Hoyt

But that's just my opinion...

JamesCGW

[18]Dec 8, 2010
    • level: 2

While I think your comments went a bit overboard, I understand the sentiments. I believe the premise of the show was good but the execution of the acting left much to be desired. While the women of the show are beautiful and the men nice looking (from what my wife says), their acting or the script from the writers just did not cut it. Like you I expected more from the show, maybe too much since I was a great fan of Alias and the other JJ Abrams shows, he is good, no great. I wish the show could be done again with either an upgrade in the acting or the scripts or both. My wife, also a fan of Abrams was disappointed from the start, I hung in there watching every episode, and a few had glimpses of greatness, just not enough. On another note Nikita is fantastic!