Unhitched

Pilot

Aired Sunday 9:30 PM Mar 02, 2008 on FOX

• Man gets anal raped by chimpanzee, girl dates sports mascot, loser overpays for hooker without getting sex, guy nails drunk girl and then places her in her boss's bed.

1.4
    Cutting edge comedy is actually far more difficult than simply jamming characters into embarrassing sexual situations. Unhitched is a textbook example of how not to make an edgy comedy.

The comic timing was nonexistent. I have seen both Craig Bierko and Rashida Jones in other shows--both have acting skills. Therefore I can only assume it was the painfully poor plotting coupled with inane directing and editing skills that turned this into one of the most dismal pilot episodes that I have ever seen.

Take the first scene. Fine, weird girl wants to have sex like a gorilla--good for a few chuckles. But the chimpanzee in the room responding by attempting anal sex with the guy? That's not funny, it's just bizarre. Clue to the writers: rape jokes are simply not your go to place for humor. And yet in the later scene they bring rape to the fore again as one of the four friends essentially rapes a coworker drunk out of her skull.

The nearest comparison is "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" and "South Park", both of which are miles above the quality of Unhitched. In Sunny and South Park, the plots are tightly integrated, the friendship and abuse of the other friends is organic to the characters. Watching Unhitched made me realize just how difficult a tightrope these two much better shows walk most every episode.