United States of Tara Forums

Showtime (ended 2011)

Censorship

MelbourneAussie

[1]Aug 29, 2009
    • level: 5

When this show was shown in the US, was it censored re the language/swearing

I'm no prude and accept that for the sake of reality, bad language is used in TV shows and movies but I'm not too impressed with the overuse of the the worst swear word of all. Once, maybe twice when it is initially used was pretty shocking but the next episode it was used so many times, I lost count and by the end of the episode, was pretty disappointed. I really wanted to like this show and have given it a good chance but it could easily lose me in the next episode if they keep using that word so unnecessarily. I thought America had severe censorship laws and am surprised this has been approved for TV. Just as well the show is being aired at 9.30 pm here.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

andrew632

[2]Aug 31, 2009
    • level: 1
    This is a show aired on a premium cable network, which only has its own rules. There are no actual censorship laws in the US regarding language, the only limitations are set if networks receive government funding and even then there are exceptions to almost all the rules. I was in no way offended by any material in this show and think that most, if not all, of the dialogue was written in good taste.

mgorman6098

[3]Sep 3, 2009
    I totally agree with Andrew. I'm not crazy about the word either, but I actually think it adds a sense of realism oddly enough. I'm sick to death of shows that are preened to seem idealistic and proper, and it is so very refreshing to see a show based on a taboo topic that so much of society would rather sweep under the rug. People swear. The show is so funny and deals with the reality of Tara's condition so very tastefully and respectfully and yet reasonably realistically and with so much humor, the swearing doesn't bother me at all. I love this show and can't wait to see more!!

HurlyBurlesque

[4]Sep 3, 2009
    People say "f..." in real life at all times of day, it's patently ridiculous to the point of being comical when writers have to pretend otherwise. There's nothing more absurd than otherwise-realistic dialogue where characters keep saying goofy, made-up, almost-f... words (frick, frag, frak, &c.)just to simulate how people actually talk without saying that one syllable which everyone is Aware is being said - which anyone Would say in the same situation - but which is verboten to pronounce. The silly place-holders just draw attention to the absurd censorship which is interfering with the suspension of disbelief, but it's a common enough staple of how people normally punctuate sentences that it's an obvious GAP when it's intentionally omitted, so just cutting the anachronistic pretence and writing unexpurgated dialogue is f...ing refreshing.

MelbourneAussie

[5]Sep 8, 2009
    • level: 5

^ HurlyBurlesque - Have you watched this show? It's not the "f" word I was talking about. If it was just that word, I wouldn't have posted/commented. It's the "word that shall not be named" one that I had a problem with. (I'm sounding like a Harry Potter book now .)

I was pleased to see it wasn't used at all in the episode after the one I complained about although it is/was now part of the opening (in the written form) - you know that bit "previously on......" (the shot of the 'graffitti' on the wall). So it's now entrenched and I can't help wondering if the writers/producers are trying to make a statement with it - i.e. if you don't like it, then don't watch it. If that is the case, then they're taking a risk considering the number of shows that are axed in the US each year because of poor ratings.

The main thing is, I'm still watching it and loved the last one I saw which was the one where Tara's parents were visiting.

HurlyBurlesque

[6]Sep 11, 2009
    *shrug* f..., c..., whatever, my point was that if something is ordinary in real life it's ridiculous to make it verboten just because it's on telly.

dalucy

[7]Sep 21, 2009
    • level: 7

andrew632 wrote:
    (...) There are no actual censorship laws in the US regarding language, (...)

And what about FCC v. Pacifica Foundation? Btw. this reminds of that famous scene.

Jime1983

[8]Oct 8, 2009
    • level: 2
    The censorship most be an American thing, here in Mexico city the show is not censored, no-one bleep things out, we get to see things as they are. It's a shame that is the USA you cant hear a f*ck now and then, hehe.

kikimarie593

[9]Oct 29, 2009
    • level: 27
    No, it isn't censored in the US. We hear all the swearing and see the nudity the same as every other country.

ghoulmas

[10]Sep 29, 2010
    • level: 4

MelbourneAussie wrote:

When this show was shown in the US, was it censored re the language/swearing

I'm no prude and accept that for the sake of reality, bad language is used in TV shows and movies but I'm not too impressed with the overuse of the the worst swear word of all. Once, maybe twice when it is initially used was pretty shocking but the next episode it was used so many times, I lost count and by the end of the episode, was pretty disappointed. I really wanted to like this show and have given it a good chance but it could easily lose me in the next episode if they keep using that word so unnecessarily. I thought America had severe censorship laws and am surprised this has been approved for TV. Just as well the show is being aired at 9.30 pm here.

just wondering who decides what the worst word in a language is....

sibowittz

[11]Nov 14, 2010
    • level: 17
    I wish there was no censorship.....in any forms of entertainment. Which is why I love HBO and Showtime....the most freedom and least censorship.

djboy77

[12]Apr 26, 2011
    • level: 7

Wait. What word are we talking about? I thought it was f**k, but then someone mentioned "word that shall not be named", which I thought was n****r, but I don't recall anyone saying that or any reason or scenario they would.

ShowTime and HBO are different than NBC, CBS, etc, as they're subscriber channels or networks or whatever. You pay for it knowing what you're getting yourself into. Interestingly, ABC and SBS in Australia have looser censorship because they're (at least partly) government funded, and not subject to the demands of sponsors so much.