Unsolved Mysteries on HBO?

BFC92

[1]Aug 19, 2007
    • level: 6
    I have heard that their bringing the show back in 2008 on HBO dose anybody have more info.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Maroon4

[2]Aug 24, 2007
    • level: 8

HBO Television Distribution is obtaining the rights to distribute the show, but that doesn't mean it will be shown on the HBO channel. That's the misconception that people have been getting.

When Lifetime's contract for UM ends in 2008, that will mark the end of Buena Vista's status as the distributor forthe series(hence HBO Television Distribution's announced acquisition of the show). Unsolved Mysteries is being shopped around to other cable networks, as indicated in a recent article at the Broadcasting & Cable web site.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6454846.html

Because the expiration of Lifetime's deal with UM is a year away, I expect that it will be many months before any or all deals related to the proposed UM revival are finalized. Projects like this take time, so I wouldn't be alarmed if no deals (new host, new network, etc.) are reached before the end of this year.

Stay tuned.

BFC92

[3]Aug 24, 2007
    • level: 6
    Well I just hope they hurry and make the show aready.

Maroon4

[4]Sep 22, 2007

BFC92 wrote:
    Well I just hope they hurry and make the show aready.

Be patient. Don't forget the following old sayings:

"Haste makes waste."

"Slow and steady wins the race."

Maroon4

[5]Nov 1, 2007
    The show is coming to Spike TV next fall! A recent article at Broadcasting & Cable has confirmed it. No word yet on a new host, though. However, the article says there is a "short list" of possible hosts. But it doesn't name names other than Clancy Brown, who is now said to be unavailable to take the job.

tv_Rescue911

[6]Dec 29, 2007
    • level: 50
    Spike? That's kind of ironic, since Spike isthe "first network for men" and Lifetime was "television for women."
    Edited on 12/29/2007 9:12pm

Maroon4

[7]Jan 5, 2008

tv_Rescue911 wrote:
    Spike? That's kind of ironic, since Spike isthe "first network for men" and Lifetime was "television for women."

I know. But believe it or not, Spike had actually tried to pick up the show before. In 2000, three years before it was renamed Spike TV, TNN (which had just gone from The Nashville Network to The National Network) was one of several cable networks interested in buying the show. At the time, plans were underway to revive Unsolved Mysteries as a first-run cable series. Not surprisingly however, Lifetime ultimately won out, choosing to keep the show.

marvelfan89

[8]Feb 6, 2008
    • level: 39
    The word right now is that Dennis Farina is close to being to being the host if not the host.

Maroon4

[9]Feb 19, 2008

marvelfan89 wrote:
    The word right now is that Dennis Farina is close to being to being the host if not the host.

I heard that, too, although it is not yet official. In any case, considering the fact that he was a cop in real life before he went on to play law enforcement officers and tough guys both in movies and on television, I can't think of a more appealing candidate for UM than Dennis Farina.

KevDogg24

[10]Mar 26, 2008
    • level: 4
    I liked the atmosphere of this show as a kid. I used to watch it with my mom in the early 90's. I always felt a little awkward glancing at the occassional rerun when it was on Lifetime though. You know that feeling you have when you are trying to keep that Playboy secret from your parents, well it always felt the sameway, I didn't want anyone to know I was watching Unsolved Mystery reruns on Lifetime, television for Women, because i'm a guy. Hey at least now it's coming to SpikeTV...

Kevin75

[11]Oct 14, 2008
    • level: 3
    Great news. The show has been resurected on Spike. It is on right now.

marvelfan89

[12]Oct 16, 2008
    Not so great is that Spike has really butchered the series. They aren't even making new episodes they are replaying old episodes by re-editing them, editing the music (replacing the old creepy music with heavy metal music), shrinking the tv screen, and cutting ALL of Stack's segment. Wow. I guess if you are a new fan, you won't notice any of this but if you followed the old series this is disappointing. The episodes don't flow very well as a result. It also seems a waste of Farina's time sine he's been doing segments already done.
    Edited on 10/15/2008 11:47pm

KevDogg24

[13]Oct 16, 2008
    • level: 4
    I know *L* I am watching it and it's obvious that that clips are so outdated with the hair styles and the glasses people wear. However i'm still going to watch it but I wish they wouldn't air it in two hour blocks daily.

marvelfan89

[14]Oct 20, 2008
    That's one of the things I like at least you are getting a whole ton of episodes.

doctorwest65

[15]Jan 8, 2009
    • level: 1
    yes, I also think it's pointless to re-edit all the old episodes. They should have just updated each old mystery at the end (if applicable), and then add some new mysteries here & there. I liked the way Robert Stack narrated the show, & the old theme music was great (& scary)! Don't you guys think so?