Upright Citizens Brigade

Comedy Central (ended 2000)

Upright Citizens Brigade Fan Reviews (6)

• Absolutely incredible,original,and a hilarious cult classic.

It\\\'s an incredible series overflowing with talent.Difinitly a cult classic.Every episode is so original(especially the first season which is the only one available on dvd).Re-runs are rarely shown so you\\\'re best off buying the dvd.It\\\'s absolutely worth it!This show was terribly under-rated and not respected by Comedy Central.This is Amy poehler\\\'s best work before SNL.Check it out if you have never had the golden oppurtunity to view it!
  • The most amazing sketch comedy and improv that exists in the history of the world...period!

UCB is the most amazing and intelligent sketch comedy and improv that there is! there is absolutely nothing else like it anywhere!!!! I fell in love with the Upright Citizens Brigade when I first saw them on Comedy Central. Anyone who is familiar with their work knows that they are geniuses. The amount of detail they put into their comedy, and the way they cleverly layer each episode throughout the seasons with recurring themes is awesome. They know that they have loyal fans who catch all these little things and that is satisfying for us fans. I would have to say my favorite episodes are Time Machine, Cyborgs and the story of the toad from season one. I have had the pleasure of seeing them perform on stage as well, with their improv and they are truly something to see. Their longform improv is brought together with such skill, it is amazing to watch. The ASSSSCAT Improv special aired on bravo where they did a televised version of ASSSSSCAT, their improvised stage show and if people enjoy it, it could possibly become a series which would be incredible. Amy Poehler is the only female of the UCB and she is in my opinion the most talented comedienne/actress there is. Matt Besser is amazing, Ian Roberts is so committed and Matt Walsh can be so sweet and heartbreaking. The four of them together round out the perfect group, and can literally pull off anything together. Oh I also really love the Saigon Suicide Show episode from season one too. I am waiting for season 2 and 3 to come out on DVD if comedy central would ever release them!!! They just released a film they did called Martin and Orloff, and I am still wondering about an all improvised film they did called Wild Girls Gone. This group is truly amazing and will hopefully live on for years and years and years performing together.
  • Unique, Classy, Brave. Un-crappy, Cutting-Edge, Bee-utiful. TRULY one of the best.

I LOVE this show.
    As one who dabbles in discordianism, I adore the premise and execution of this show. The first season (currently ONLY one available on DVD) is a great collection and demonstrates why this show is ahead of it's time. Like SO many other great shows, It has been lost to time and crap like MADTV continues to air on TV and get released on DVD.
    Comedy Central should Release seasons Two and Three.
    please CC? i will not pay with a$$ pennies!
  • One of the best sketch comedy shows to come along in the last twenty years

Upright Citizens Brigade was on for three seasons on Comedy Central but it seemed like it was on for much shorter than that. I never saw the first season when it originally aired but luckily I caught it in reruns. I got hooked on the series during the second season and found myself cracking up at just how far these four comedians would go for a laugh. It seemed like each episode was original and unique but at the same time they all fell into the same pattern of comedic gold. I laughed hard at each new episode and find myself still laughing pretty hard when I rewatch them now. That's hard for most sketch comedy shows to do but this one does it flawlessly.

The actors in the series were all diehard comedians that shared a guerilla style of comedy. After each episode they would take their comedy to the masses and use hidden cameras to do stuff they had done in the episode, only when they were in the real world they frequently came across unexpected reactions. People would get angry or upset with them but that was the idea, their ideas were so absurd that sometimes they didn't work in the real world at all. This blend of stand-up comedy mixed with reality comedy had never been done before, at least not like this. The Brigade did things in their own way and to the beat of their own drummer and I loved that. I felt like the writing was the key to the show and the acting was a close second. Without the well-written lines, however, the jokes would fall apart. It was clear to me that these comedians were all destined for greatness down the road and we haven't even seen how far they could go. Poehler is now on SNL, a huge step for any comedian. Walsh and Roberts have both appeared on The Daily Show and Besser has been on Reno 911! a few times. They're all branching out and doing what they do best: making people laugh so hard that they spew beverages all over the place.
  • One of a kind.

The bizarre and often brilliant characters and scenes that populate the UCB's world are the stuff of television legend. Not to mention the talent that the four comedians possess to give life to all of them. But the thing that makes Upright Citizens Brigade stand out above 99% of the sketch comedy shows is their ability to tie these seemingly random and strange scenes into a single and cohesive episode in which everything comes together.

I know many people who don't "get" this show, and that is fine, but for those of us who do, it is a sheer joy to watch and laugh to the point of tears.
  • Enemy = Status Quo, Friend = Chaos. With this formula, how can you go wrong?

The cult followers shout in union, "Bring it back! ...or at least release all the episodes on DVD." OMG what a classic "off the wall" show! This is one that I would consider to be a "stoner" show. Doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, but it is VERY fun and entertaining to watch... if you're ready to buy into the story. Basically the Upright Citizens Brigade is a small, secret, "underground" group of misfits that create chaos at every corner of the world, just because they can. Whether it's "baby boxing" or the selling of a fictional drug, "super-cool"... they just want to see chaos bring down the governing powers of the world. A classic, late-night, stoner show I would love to have back... or at least released to DVD (Comedy Central, are you listening?).