Urusei Yatsura

Fuji Television (ended 1986)

Tru_Slayer

Urusei Yatsura Fan Reviews (3)

7.8
  • Boy Meets Alien in this Comedy and Craziness!

Urusei Yatsura (Those Obnoxious aliens in the English) by Rumiko Takahashi oh though this was before she made Ranma and Inuyasha her best works this was one of her earliest projects that intrested lots of people in her work. Oh though the first season's animation may be ugly. It improves after season after season. Comedy is the aim. and it can do it quite well. Not really an Engaging story but the Episodes more then make up for it.

Lum (In enlish its Lamu) An Oni(Ogre the mythical ones but this is different) Alien apperantly falls in love with the most Flitatious Boy in the universe. Gradually the Boy returns her feelings but the procces takes a REALLY long time. Along with a HUGE crew of characters its more random and Romance and that can be rare.

Its not what would turn you on but its something that should be Watched before judged
  • What other people say about Urusei Yatsura doesn't bring it any justice.

What other people say about Urusei Yatsura doesn't bring it any justice. To give it anything less than a 10 would be an outrage. What's good about it? If you need me to tell you what's good about it, it means you can't even tell the brilliance behind SHOW. Nuff said.
  • An absolute masterpiece. Don't let the "old" look fool you, just let the characters get under your skin.

To me, writing about Urusei Yatsura is very difficult. Very difficult because a review has to be (or, at least TRY to be...) objective.

But I can't. So, I won't even try.

Urusei Yatsura is more than a simple japanese cartoon. It's THE cartoon, the "anime".

At first sight, UY seems just to be your basic zany comedy, with many visual gags and over the top characters and adventures. But, as everyone familiar with previous and subsequent works of authress Rumiko Takahashi ("Ranma 1/2", "InuYasha", "Maison Ikkoku" to quote the most popular) may know and expect, in the end it's all about a love story. It's all about life.

Like I wrote before, it's impossible to me to be objective. A great part of what this series has become to me maybe depends by the fact that I've started to watch it when I was an adolescent, and I got interested in it mainly because of one astoundishing movie involving its characters: "Beautiful dreamer", by Mamoru Ooshi. In that movie, Lum is depicted very clearly as an embodiment of all the dreams of youthness. I think Ooshi was right about this. It's all about dreams, since Lum's adventures are all, off course, completely impossible. But, it's all about youthness too.

What it really worked on me, what kept me hooked is the fact that, crazyness aside (even though is the main factor that makes you entertained), that crazy bunch of cartoon characters actually reflects a bit of your own story and feelings.

When I was a teenager, I was very Ataru-like. Dare I say, everyone is. It's the same reason why in the late episodes turns out more and more often that Mendo and Ataru are very different as far as results are concerned, but basically the same in the inside.
    Ataru's chronical irresponsability and inability to be happy with what already has (...it's amazing how in this series the guy hasn't to win the love of the girl, he already has it, twice. But, he his unable to keep it the first time with Shinobu, and is frightened to admit it with Lum, so he's all but lucky) were also mine.
    The portrait of Ataru's parents, so disillusioned, so cynical, so miserable, is indeed a strong one. I could relate to it too, sadly. It scared me, in a way.

Ataru's character is like a well rounded adolscent version of Donald Duck. Everyone loves Donald (and many loathe the all-so-perfect Mickey) and can relate with him because he's so unlucky, inept, has a bad temper etc.
    Ataru is basically the same, but with an added layer of complexity.

Make no mistake: this cartoon is fun. It's full of gags, the stories are crazy and very original, and a very good vehicle to learn something more about japanese culture, since so many characters are clever and ingenuous portings from Eastern mythology and folklore.

But, my point is, it's not just that.
    Many anime have the ability to make strong themes and issues the focal point of the show. In this case, i think that the whole comedy and satyre goes to the point of being an allegory of the whole (maybe neverending...) process of growing-up. It just can't be helped, since Ataru Moroboshi is so strangely compelling as the lead.