V Forums

ABC (ended 2011)

Devil in a Blue Dress - Syd - 5th fails - emotions

roams

[1]Mar 8, 2011
    • level: 6

I'll start with some positives.

Sydney
    I think the addition of Sydney is great. This show needed a cheap way to explain scientific creations of the show to the audience and Sydney is the perfect nerd to do it. It also gives the 5th a "go to guy" for technical wizardry (finally a 5th column member that brings something to the table other than a bible)
    Plus there's nice "nerd vs brute" interaction possibilities with him and Hobbes.

Tyler
    I like how he ackowledges he was an idiot for blaming his mother for his father death. This was a ridiculous reaction for a young adult to start with and made the character so much less believable but it's nice to get that out and acknowledged.
    I thought him trading his V shuttle flight jacket for his father's leather jacket and getting closer to his mom (aggravating Anna) was a nice touch

Anna can bliss humans
    I think this is awesome. When the Vs benevolent samaritan image fades and the full blown invasion is at hand... humans will more naturally oppose the Vs... now Anna will have a way to flip humans to her side (probably not at large but certainly on an individual basis) and plant human spies in the 5th column (provided the "I'm so high right now" grin goes away after a bit). That can open cool plot twists.

Diana, the soul & emotions
    Diana's position is that the soul cannot be removed while Anna believes it can... I guess it would have been nice to find a V that even comes slightly close to questioning the existance of the soul to begin with... but now Joshua announces that Tyler being injected with the pooled DNA from the "live-aboards" has triggered an unforseen emotional reaction... so now "human emotions" are either coming from the soul or from DNA... maybe where the Vs are concerned... the soul is a specific section of DNA? Whatever... now that Anna can bliss humans maybe we can forget the Vs entertained the idea of souls to begin with.
    What I'd like to know is how does one establish herself as Queen of the Vs... being the eldest or newest does not seem to be the key as Marcus does not immediatly recognise Diana as his queen upon meeting her... is it more political? Do you stand before the other Vs and declare "I AM THE LIZARD QUEEN"...
    (Lisa... "I am the Lizard Queen"... get it? )
    That question seems important if Lisa is to overthrow Anna... we first need to know how your establish yourself as the Queen. Guess we'll find out how Lisa fails in that endeavour next week.

5th Column fails
    This week's episode brings yet another 5th column failure.
    This part of the show is really getting old and tiresome.
    We have a botched Concordia sabotage following a botched live-aboard DNA sabotage following a botched Anna assassination...
    And next week, according to the synopsis... "even with the help of the Fifth Column, an attempted coup by Lisa has devastating results".
    We seriously need another "blue energy grenade in the pool of anna's eggs" moment.

Concordia
    Ok so this is complete nit-picking... but the Vs computer 3D model of Concordia has 5 outer pillars and a large central one. Now granted the 5th column's art dept might be a bit limited and their model might look more rudimentary... but their version of the maquette has 4 outer pillars and no central one... and it does not even come close to looking anything like the Vs and this is how they determine that the sites are landing docks for motherships... which need landing docks because shuttles are no good... because...?!? (Hey I said it was nit-picking)
    I know it's details but the show is so full of overlooked details that jump at you it's crazy. What is going on with those motherships? All these ships are out of energy and not self-powered? They all neeed to be docked and externally powered... while basically sitting idle on pillars?

If there is a season 3... I think it's high time for a full "brute force" invasion... no more facade games trying to manipulate the masses... the Vs need to take charge in a more totalitarian manner... sure they can try to make the humans like it... but that should become secondary and in a climate of distopia.
    Also it's time for some 5th column successes and tooth and nail fights.

Edited on 03/09/2011 4:57pm
    Edited 8 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

antdude

[2]Mar 8, 2011
    • level: 27
    ... Tonight's episode was building up and not doing lame, slow plots. Then, I found out next week is the season finale. Wow, already? That's OK. I need less shows soon due to crunch times coming up and other TV shows/series.

roams

[3]Mar 8, 2011

Yeah next week is the finale... Lisa tries and fails to overthrow Anna and presumably... the invasion begins? (Although it doesn't seem like the Concordia sites are ready)

Edited on 03/08/2011 11:14pm

lolamustang

[4]Mar 9, 2011

i have a question - i'm not sure when it was - but during the 1st season---wasn't there in one episode a hint that Marcus is 5th column ??? Does anyone remember this?

can someone clear this up for me???

kanniballl

[5]Mar 9, 2011
    • level: 18

My guess about "who is the queen" is...

Similar to some insects species, there is an individual that's slightly different from the rest. Either biologically from birth or after something occurs to them. The big traits being: being able to birth a ton of offspring and being able to control the masses, both of which we've seen in Anna.

Also, from the talk of the "Queen Egg" it seems that it's a biological at-birth thing.

My guessis that people that say "Diannais my real Queen" were either birthed by Dianna or she was in charge when they were born / grew up.

Kind of like a person will acknowledge their new stepfather as "dad" but in their hearts the father they grew up with is their real "dad."

But since Anna is now without eggs, that would imply a bunch of people on the ships probably feel Anna is the Queen and don't care so much for / about Dianna.

That's all assuming my logic is sound.

Edited on 03/09/2011 6:36am
    Edited 5 total times.

kanniballl

[6]Mar 9, 2011

roams wrote:

Concordia
    Ok so this is complete nit-picking... but the Vs computer 3D model of Concordia has 5 outer pillars and a large central one. Now granted the 5th column's art dept might be a bit limited and their model might look more rudimentary... but their version of the maquette has 4 outer pillars and no central one... and it does not even come close to looking anything like the Vs and this is how they determine that the sites are landing docks for motherships... which need landing docks because shuttles are no good... because...?!? (Hey I said it was nit-picking)
    I know it's details but the show is so full of overlooked details that jump at you it's crazy. What is going on with those motherships? All these ships are out of energy and not self-powered? They all neeed to be docked and externally powered... while basically sitting idle on pillars?

It was a quick mock-up with (I'm guessing) foam. It doesn't need to be perfect, just the fact that those pillars are there and line up.

I *thought* an earlier episode where we first saw the Vs Concordia hologram, the center spire rose and connected with the ship like an elevator or docking ring.

So may they just took that piece out for now in the foam since they assume that it's variable.

KenBacklund

[7]Mar 9, 2011
    • level: 4
    Interesting that Anna and Thomas can stand in front of a world wide news coverage, speaking of how Concordia will be landing sites for breeding ships and how it will be the end of humanity.

Well hello, what if there's any lip readers watching.. she would have just revealed her diabolical plans to anyone who could read lips.

kanniballl

[8]Mar 9, 2011

KenBacklund wrote:
    Interesting that Anna and Thomas can stand in front of a world wide news coverage, speaking of how Concordia will be landing sites for breeding ships and how it will be the end of humanity. Well hello, what if there's any lip readers watching.. she would have just revealed her diabolical plans to anyone who could read lips.

That's exactly what I was thinkning.

I've been working on my lip-reading in TV shows because too often a sound (either on the TV or in my house) will down out a key word / phrase and I hate relying on the close-captioning.

I was like "WTF, dozens of cameras around and they're just talking about it? What if someone def is watching?"

Then again, this is from the writers that had the heroine talking to the princess about their traitorous moves while Anna was maybe 12 feet away.

Grog5th

[9]Mar 9, 2011
    • level: 1

I have one question about the latest episode. Just a minor thought but how did those infrared binoculars Sydney has, managed to detect the blue energy on the mother ship? Wouldn't other people be able to see it with infrared technology? Good scene this. Very creeping knowing a fleet is soon to arrive.

lolamustang wrote:

i have a question - i'm not sure when it was - but during the 1st season---wasn't there in one episode a hint that Marcus is 5th column ??? Does anyone remember this?

Yes I do remember this. It was the last episode when Joshua got shot by Erica on the mother ship. V's healed him with their technology and Marcus was standing there and said "Welcome back" as if it was a good thing. Well that scene made me question whether he was 5th Column or not. My too questioned it. I don't think he is now though.

Edited on 03/09/2011 1:00pm
    Edited 2 total times.

roams

[10]Mar 9, 2011

KenBacklund wrote:
    Interesting that Anna and Thomas can stand in front of a world wide news coverage, speaking of how Concordia will be landing sites for breeding ships and how it will be the end of humanity. Well hello, what if there's any lip readers watching.. she would have just revealed her diabolical plans to anyone who could read lips.

It's also interesting that the event seemed very low key at the NY location... and in open space... and a perfect time to try that assassination attempted that was botched 4 episodes ago...

Yet they just had to pick that moment where security was at it's highest to attempt an assassination?

kanniballl wrote:

My guessis that people that say "Diannais my real Queen" were either birthed by Dianna or she was in charge when they were born / grew up.

Kind of like a person will acknowledge their new stepfather as "dad" but in their hearts the father they grew up with is their real "dad."

Interesting... maybe they could have a generational "class warfare" within the Vs... Diana brood vs Anna brood...
    But then this does not really explain how Lisa can overthrow Anna as queen... and how Anna did it to Diana.

Maybe the youngest "fertile" female V or royal line is the queen... but that would mean that Anna pushing Lisa to mate would also push Lisa to take over as queen, which is unlikely...

lolamustang wrote:

Well he goes around Anna's back dealing with Hobbes without telling her... he revives Joshua who is clearly a 5th...
    At the time there was all kinds of speculations like Marcus is John May... or Marcus is a 5th... or Marcus is on his own agenda...
    It's quite possible that this is to be tied up with Marcus being loyal to Diana... a 3rd side in the conflict.
    It's also quite possible that this is another deadend plot idea... or an unintended plot twist... it does seem sometimes like the writers don't fully master the whole storyline yet honestly.

Edited on 03/09/2011 5:01pm

antdude

[11]Mar 9, 2011
    • level: 27
    KenBacklund wrote:
    Interesting that Anna and Thomas can stand in front of a world wide news coverage, speaking of how Concordia will be landing sites for breeding ships and how it will be the end of humanity.

Well hello, what if there's any lip readers watching.. she would have just revealed her diabolical plans to anyone who could read lips.
    Also, there as an assassination a few episodes ago!

kanniballl

[12]Mar 10, 2011

antdude wrote:
    KenBacklund wrote:
    Also, there as an assassination a few episodes ago!

I think the OP was commenting on how rediculous it was to be talking about something like that while cameras are plastered on you. Someone paying attention that can read lips would know about an invasion.

That's aseparateconcern all-together about anassassinationattempt happening on-camera.

haldrey

[13]Mar 10, 2011
    • level: 22
    antdude wrote:
    ... Tonight's episode was building up and not doing lame, slow plots. Then, I found out next week is the season finale. Wow, already? That's OK. I need less shows soon due to crunch times coming up and other TV shows/series.

Agree. I would like a few more episodes but if the finale is good I am ok with it. Anna is the devil queen and Diana the good queen. I am not so sure, Diana's agenda might be worst than that of Anna. We will know next season, if it returns.

roams

[14]Mar 10, 2011

"Good Queen"... I'm not convinced...

Edited on 03/10/2011 5:26pm
    Edited 2 total times.

kanniballl

[15]Mar 11, 2011

roams wrote:

"Good Queen"... I'm not convinced...

Agreed

I think Dianna is just as dark as Anna, if not more-so.

Granted Dianna claims to believe that the human sole/individuality/etc is a gift and claims to be against humanity's slaughter.

But so far all we have is her word. At least with Anna we're dealing with "the devil you know" as opposed to the "devil you don't."

As for Lisa, it's possible that once her "changes" hit full swing, she'll be as big of a threat as her mother. Though I'm sure they'll add her confliction due to her time with Kyle.

danharr

[16]Mar 27, 2011
    • level: 45

I liked the build up just fine can't wait to see if Lisa wacks Anna but can't imagine the show without her so I'm guessing a coup and then a messy season 3 counterstrike war.

roams

[17]Mar 28, 2011

danharr wrote:

I liked the build up just fine can't wait to see if Lisa wacks Anna but can't imagine the show without her so I'm guessing a coup and then a messy season 3 counterstrike war.

Not quite.