V Forums

ABC (ended 2011)

Episode 1x07 - John May - discussion (possible spoilers)

sramv9

[1]Apr 14, 2010
    • level: 22

Episode 1x07 - John May

The Resistance searches for John May. The star reporter is asked to come back to the mothership. Erica's son confronts her.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Timewhisper

[2]Apr 14, 2010
    • level: 7
    The series is shaping out nicely. Each episode is getting better.

Frenz9

[3]Apr 14, 2010
    • level: 10
    Another step up.

meee223

[4]Apr 14, 2010
    • level: 8
    So did Ryan kill John May? I stepped away from my tv during a commercial, and came back a minute too late. What did Ryan mean when he said he killed John May?

smokie_estatic

[5]Apr 15, 2010
    • level: 1
    Amazing episode, great to see this series increase in quality!

ollyhume

[6]Apr 15, 2010

Ryan confessed to killing John May although we don't know how or where so it has been left somewhat open.

Loved this episode, much more sinister and the storylines are moving forward with excellent pace. That's what I liked about the 4400, unanswered questions were always resolved quickly as new ones arose.

mude

[7]Apr 15, 2010
    • level: 15
    Too many plotholes to keep the story afloat. I can't believe that every government in the world would welcome 'aliens' posing as humans so freely into their arms. The secret agancies such as the FBI working so openly with the Vs, come on!!! And that the whole media/public follows the whim of one little selfloving reporter. Don't get me started on the resistance, I mean, their whole agenda is to expose who the Vs really are to the public, but yet every time they kill a V, they have the chance to show the body to the world, which would help their cause and bump up their recruitment enormously, but they just get rid of the body or leave it there to rotten. And everytime they are on the move, you would think they would care more about their appearance, I mean, a priest with a blonde, driving in the same car with 3 weird looking men. "That wouldn't get anyone's attention, especially to the more technological advanced Vs who have eyes everywhere". The world is truly doomed, if these people are the ones leading the salvation army. And the whole 'V' army building thing, why not come already prepared with an army to preemptly crush resistance at the planet you are going to invade/exploit. It's just so fustrating to witness such lazy writing, I think the whole V concept would have worked better as a miniseries just like the original.

II_Seraphim_II

[9]Apr 15, 2010
    • level: 6
    This show is so-so for me. It's not doing anything wrong, but at the same time, it's not doing anything right. I'm still confused about whether or not a like it. To be honest, the main reason I'm watching it right now is to see Juliet and Tom Baldwin, 2 of my favorite characters, in 1 show

Yaspaa

[10]Apr 15, 2010
    • level: 79
    It's really starting to pick up and becoming rather a good show, keep it up guys.

II_Seraphim_II

[11]Apr 15, 2010

I think, for the people not familiar with the original version, that the show needs to start explaining more about the V-es. Right now, all the show is telling the viewer is that "Humans - good; V's - bad" and that just doesn't cut it. Yes, I'm sure practically everyone here knows that in the original show the V's wanted...

***SPOILER***

...but it would be great if the show at least started showing the viewer the motivation behind the V's actions. I mean after all, this is a re-imagining, so they may have slightly different motives. This whole "evil because they are" route the show is taking just yells "poor writing". We get it that the V's are evil, but at least try to have a V centric episode that begins to explain why they are acting the way they are. I understand that it's still very early, but the show is kind of weak at the moment, and I hope they have such an episode soon.

This episode was good though, in that it showed us more about John May's past and the creation of the resistance. I just feel like the show lacks a certain "intensity" to it. For instance, Georgie's death didn't have the impact it should have, because they didn't build the character up well enough. We didn't really know him so when he died, we didn't really care as much. They should have delved more into his past and the loss of his family. Maybe they should have had an entire episode dedicated to telling Georgie's past rather than just show us little snippets like they did in this episode.

Also, the whole deal with Juliet's (I don't know her name here, so I use her LOST name ) son is boring. Please stop it. The kid is a complete douche and the story is not interesting. Maybe if they let us in on what exactly Anna wants with him, we might care, but right now, it's just boring.

On another note, the story seems to be running without any direction at the moment. It just feels like every single episode is made on impulse without a greater purpose or direction. I wish for once they would lay out a clear goal, and then they could have 5-7 episodes of them attaining that goal. So perhaps they say "We need to get the Deus Ex Machina from ship number 3" and then the next 6 episodes, deal with the crew planning the infiltration and retrieval mission. With that setup we know what the goal is and we get the feeling that the story is going somewhere....

Edited on 04/15/2010 1:05pm

boom-moo

[12]Apr 15, 2010
    • level: 75
    I loved this episode. It was darker and moved the plotline along nicely, showing good potential.

Stitllams

[13]Apr 17, 2010
    Perhaps John May is coming back, after all they could have used a nobody actor for the part but they chose to use Sam Anders from Battlestar Galactica, just a thought.

zitzitta

[14]Apr 17, 2010

Stitllams wrote:
    Perhaps John May is coming back, after all they could have used a nobody actor for the part but they chose to use Sam Anders from Battlestar Galactica, just a thought.
    I'm 100% with u on that one. I'm sure he's not actually dead. When Ryan confessed to killing him, I think (hope) he meant that he made it look as if he had killed him. Since for that to be plausible, John May had to disappear from the public eye (and that included his family), he may have been dead for all everyone else was concerned. I'm expecting to see John May soon... (and, let's be honest here, the show NEEDS him!)

Edited on 04/17/2010 2:56pm

danharr

[15]Apr 20, 2010
    • level: 45

Ok episode the John May revelation didn't do much for me but the personal drama was interesting. Georgie going out was done well since it was impossible to rescue him fun watching Ana sick and distressed.