V Forums

ABC (ended 2011)

New ABC series 'V'. Worse ratings than Invasion after only 4 episodes!

InvasionFanbOy

[1]Nov 29, 2009
    • level: 8

There is no way ABC can justify canceling Invasion. V's last episode only pulled in 9.2 million viewers, whereas after 22 episodes and countless number of breaks, the last episode of Invasion managed to do better.

Invasion definitely had a better premise and actors, and I felt the story was just beginning. I hope there's a chance of Invasion coming back someday, until then when I see a show so similar on primetime TV, it makes me and fans of Invasion even more annoyed.

I'm certainly expecting ABC to cancel V because it should be treated the same as Invasion and any other axed shows. ABC don't care for their audiences and it's a shame a great show had to be treated the way it was. I feel sorry the writer and all the cast and crew, ABC have destroyed alot of good tv shows and even a few careers.

Remember to sign the Invasion...
    http://www.petitiononline.com/33030/petition.html

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JoeLostDharma

[2]Nov 29, 2009
    • level: 28
    I doubt a show like Invasion will be brought back. I've never actually seen the show, and I heard it's quite good. But it's been over a few years, and it wouldn't make sense to bring it back. I think returns like that only work for animated shows. Keep on trying though. I respect that man.

Anyway, as for V, 9.1 isn't half bad compared to other shows these days.

Brunte81

[3]Nov 29, 2009

Episode 1: 14,3 million.

Episode 2: 10,6 million.

Episode 3: 9,3 million.

Episdoe 4: 9,2 million.

Going down, down, down. Axe it!

poggie

[4]Nov 30, 2009
    • level: 5
    Brunte81 wrote:

Episode 1: 14,3 million.

Episode 2: 10,6 million.

Episode 3: 9,3 million.

Episdoe 4: 9,2 million.

Going down, down, down. Axe it!

And with this stuipid 'pod' idea, it will have SFA viewers in march.

Well done, why did they even bother?

JoeLostDharma

[5]Dec 1, 2009
    • level: 28

The whole sci-fi scene is friggin destroyed by networks like FOX, and the American public. People would much rather watch something terribly acted, predictively scripted and with no creativitity. I'm sorry if I offend, but I feel that there are too many dumb yanks out there who'd rather watch re-runs of the OC then give a new sci-fi show a chance.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather watch a show that forces me to actually use my freakin' brain. I just wish more people felt the same.

Edited on 12/01/2009 1:32pm

Jacks_Son

[6]Dec 1, 2009
    • level: 13

Invasion aired when the networks innundated the airwaves with sci fi dramas. The big three at the time were Invasion, Surface, and Threshold. All three were excellent and had pretty good casts with Threeshold having the best cast of the three. Unfortunately, the public wasn't into heavy sci fi at the time and all three split the genre viewers amonst them. It's not simply about which show is better, but about which show is better at a certain time in society.

Look at "Star Trek:TOS", the first year that series struggled and was nearly cancelled. If it wasn't for the outstanding vision of Lucille Ball, who was head of DesiLu Productions at the time, the show WOULD have been cancelled. She urged the producers to keep it on the air and it eventually took off. Eventually, Trekkies everywhere have "lived long and prospered". Let's face it honestly, there are a lot of V haters around here and they dearly want this series to fail so they can pat themselves on the back and say I told you so. It makes them feel special. Just like all the Lost fans who bailed on the series and continue to carp about hoe the show doesn't make any sense and never answers any questions. Despite the fact that damn near every question has been answered over time. Now those old Lostie's are too proud to jump back on the wagon.

Brunte81

[7]Dec 2, 2009
    Jacks_Son wrote:

Invasion aired when the networks innundated the airwaves with sci fi dramas. The big three at the time were Invasion, Surface, and Threshold. All three were excellent and had pretty good casts with Threeshold having the best cast of the three. Unfortunately, the public wasn't into heavy sci fi at the time and all three split the genre viewers amonst them. It's not simply about which show is better, but about which show is better at a certain time in society.

Look at "Star Trek:TOS", the first year that series struggled and was nearly cancelled. If it wasn't for the outstanding vision of Lucille Ball, who was head of DesiLu Productions at the time, the show WOULD have been cancelled. She urged the producers to keep it on the air and it eventually took off. Eventually, Trekkies everywhere have "lived long and prospered". Let's face it honestly, there are a lot of V haters around here and they dearly want this series to fail so they can pat themselves on the back and say I told you so. It makes them feel special. Just like all the Lost fans who bailed on the series and continue to carp about hoe the show doesn't make any sense and never answers any questions. Despite the fact that damn near every question has been answered over time. Now those old Lostie's are too proud to jump back on the wagon.

Ofc people hate the remake of V. Why? It's not V. And it's boring, slow and after this 4 episodes not much have happen in the show.

In the pilot they tell too much, things that could be for 13 episodes or more. And the V's have been doing same thing over and over in these 4 episodes. Still trying to brainwash the humans with use of media. Is that fun to watch?

They have been talking about Resistance in every episode and in the last episode they end up with... 3 humans and one Lizard.... hello??? Where is the action? I can't see any. Can you?

The flu thing was just lame, just trying to make the show feel like it's going on right now... boring... whats next? Iran have an army of Nukes with a virus that the V's have made?

And what makes this show even worse is the love story with Tayler and Lisa... over and over again just smile, smile, smile I like you, oh V's are so cool, bla bla bla... and at last... you don't need a brain to watch it. The show tells you everything, IF you happen to miss something (sleeping when the show is on or something)...

And efter just 4 episodes they take a looooooong break... how stupid isn't that? This show need more then 4 episodes before it can take a break...

zitzitta

[9]Jan 12, 2010
    Brunte81 wrote:

Ofc people hate the remake of V. Why? It's not V. And it's boring, slow and after this 4 episodes not much have happen in the show.

In the pilot they tell too much, things that could be for 13 episodes or more. And the V's have been doing same thing over and over in these 4 episodes. Still trying to brainwash the humans with use of media. Is that fun to watch?

They have been talking about Resistance in every episode and in the last episode they end up with... 3 humans and one Lizard.... hello??? Where is the action? I can't see any. Can you?

The flu thing was just lame, just trying to make the show feel like it's going on right now... boring... whats next? Iran have an army of Nukes with a virus that the V's have made?

And what makes this show even worse is the love story with Tayler and Lisa... over and over again just smile, smile, smile I like you, oh V's are so cool, bla bla bla... and at last... you don't need a brain to watch it. The show tells you everything, IF you happen to miss something (sleeping when the show is on or something)...

And efter just 4 episodes they take a looooooong break... how stupid isn't that? This show need more then 4 episodes before it can take a break...

Quite blunt but, all in all, I agree with you. A pity, I was so looking forward to this new V... Hopefully, on March they'll give us better episodes. I still think that they stopped production after 4 episodes because someone realized that they were waaaaaaaaaaaaay below the previous V's standards...

Ryehead

[10]Jan 14, 2010
    • level: 10
    You just completely contradicted urself lol 'after 4 episodes not much has happened' then u say 'In the pilot they tell u too much' which is it?! Has it went too slow or too quickly? And as for the love story, remember it's based on the original V, and their relationship is a big part of the story, with the baby later on and such. People are far too quick to judge shows these days, people hear the rating are bad then decide they don't lyk it, why cause others don't? It's just retarded. As for Lost, it blows, I used to lyk it and have continued to watch as I'm not one to stop half way through. If they intended on making it Sci-fi, that should have been clear from the beginning for the sake of the audience, I don't wanna watch a show I think is a normal drama to find out half way through that it's about time travel. State the genre clearly from the get-go!

Nanfoodle

[12]Jan 22, 2010
    • level: 7
    Sad how fast they pull the plug on TV shows. They don't have a chance to build momentum or fan base. I hate to be a nay sayer but I think thats the death of V. =-\

bob103200

[13]Jan 27, 2010
    • level: 3

Ryehead wrote:
    Y As for Lost, it blows, I used to lyk it and have continued to watch as I'm not one to stop half way through. If they intended on making it Sci-fi, that should have been clear from the beginning for the sake of the audience, I don't wanna watch a show I think is a normal drama to find out half way through that it's about time travel. State the genre clearly from the get-go!
    Right, because a "normal drama" has some kind of monster shaking the trees, chasing the characters, and gruesomely killing the pilot after pulling him out of the plane. Then later, you hear a transmission from the French Woman that has been repeating for 16 years, saying "it killed them all", and all that happened in the first episode of the show. Clearly there were sci-fi elements from the start.

As for the ratings of V, the comparisons to invasion just don't work because of how drastic the tv rating landscape has changed since Invasion aired. With the increase in DVRs, internet viewing etc. the rating requirements have gone way down. When Invasion started, ABC was coming from having succesfully launched Lost, Desperate Housewives and Greys Anatomy, now years later, those shows are still their hits despite big declines in ratings. So ABC is not in a position to be as picky as they were during Invasion. Also the total number of viewers don't matter, what matters is the Adults 18-49 rating. These days a show that gets a 3.0 is considered a success, V's last two episodes got 3.1. If it comes back and stays above a 3.0 it will be renewed for a second season, if it goes well below that it wont.

TvFreak7

[14]Feb 3, 2010
    • level: 26
    If it stays above a 2.5 (which in my opinion I think it shouldn't have a probably staying above a 3.0) then it will get renewed.

Writerpatrick

[15]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 13

It's normal today for a lot of shows to loose viewers right off the bat. It's all a matter of how long it takes to settle to an even point and where it settles at.

The return had about 7.3 million but got a 3.0 in the 18-29 market. In comparison Parenthood had a 2.5. So it's not doing too badly right now but it's still too early to say. It's still got a couple months before the new fall lineups are announced, so it's going to take another four or five episodes to really judge. It would be too early for the network to make a decision.

I do think that running four or five episodes and then taking a long break doesn't really help the show. In many ways it would have been better to wait until now to premiere the show. In the fall there's a lot of new shows and people have a lot to choose from, but around this time of year many shows have been canceled and there's an audience looking for new shows. For example, when the show first aired they had Leno at 10pm to contend with. Now those people are looking for something to watch at that time.