V Forums

ABC (ended 2011)

Soul Extraction

Synetech

[1]Jan 19, 2011
    • level: 22
    I am so sick and tired of the plot point about souls; it's the stupidest thing I've seen on TV. Anna keeps talking about it like it's some tangible thing that can be seen, felt, extracted, and captured. Did those morons even bother to do any research on what it is? Did they even look it up on freakin' Wikipedia?

As if this show wasn't getting boring and stupid enough, this whole let's-extract-souls plot is making it really hard to justify wasting the time to watch it at all anymore. Maybe the writers and producers should be skinned.

-- Synetech
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

smoke-monster

[2]Jan 19, 2011
    • level: 2

Extract this: Anna's doing the devil's work... not sure I want to know where that plot line's going.

wilddog2k8

[3]Jan 19, 2011
    • level: 4

I'm sorry, are you just now realizing that this show is SCIENCE FICTION? And its perfectly logical that Anna would think this is possible, shes a fuc**** alien and she is desperate, so something that might seem ridiculous to you makes perfect sense to her. Besides, how do you know that the soul does not exist and that it cannot be extracted? If you are religious, then you believe that your soul will rise when you die, so technically the method that she is using makes sense.

Im pretty sure that she is trying to use the humans as a type of shell, or breeding host for her dying species, and apparently the soul is preventing her from doing so.

RizNYC

[4]Jan 21, 2011
    • level: 5
    Didn't they already use this same machine last season?

aidorrocks

[5]Jan 21, 2011
    • level: 10
    Synetech wrote:
    I am so sick and tired of the plot point about souls; it's the stupidest thing I've seen on TV. Anna keeps talking about it like it's some tangible thing that can be seen, felt, extracted, and captured. Did those morons even bother to do any research on what it is? Did they even look it up on freakin' Wikipedia?

As if this show wasn't getting boring and stupid enough, this whole let's-extract-souls plot is making it really hard to justify wasting the time to watch it at all anymore. Maybe the writers and producers should be skinned.

-- Synetech

are you an expert on souls? do you actually know they can't be removed? do you know for a fact that they even exist & aren't just some human mechanism to explain why we have a conscience & think etc.

also, like "wilddog2k8" points out: it's science FICTION. either take it or leave it.

sjhim08

[6]Jan 23, 2011
    • level: 7
    if u consider this show a waste of time, stop watching it. no one is forcing u to watch it u watch it out of choice, so in fact its u who's wasting ur own time.

camulus13

[7]Jan 26, 2011
    • level: 13

The whole point is Anna does not know that the soul is not a tangible thing that can be removed. It's just her trying to continue to work on perfect society and not fully realizing what is going on. Remember, the idea of a soul is a HUMAN construct to make us believe that we will continue on in some way shape or form after we die.

torrijos

[8]Jan 26, 2011
    • level: 16
    Then again these are Aliens that have had spies embedded on Earth for a couple of years (decades or even more), that have studied humans enough to breed with them, to make themselves look like humans with fake skin and so forth.

But somehow they get into soul-researching mode... Just very weak imagination the part of the writers and corny as hell like everything from this show since its debut.

Hell, if some alien civilization pops up with immense spaceshipS that manage to hover over cities without problems, and somehow they look like us... you'll find me in the basement cleaning my guns .

pgsuperfan

[9]Mar 2, 2011
    • level: 25

It is only Sci Fi but the writers could have found a new machine

ElmoKajaky

[10]Mar 3, 2011
    • level: 8

Absolutely right, the "let's extract the human soul so we can defeat the humans" plot is one of the dumbest ideas the writers could have come up with (edging out the whole "aliens that don't understand human emotions" cliche for dumbest plot line honors). Weak, weak, weak. Doesn't even make sense within the context of the show's universe. So achingly stupid. Too bad there's really no other SF on TV at the moment. Damn, I miss the Star Trek shows, and Babylon 5...and Firefly... As if aliens would never have heard of the concept of superstition. FFS!

altavek

[11]Mar 5, 2011
    • level: 7

Umm, they're aliens. They've never known about a soul, why would we expect them to act within accordance of our logic.

kanniballl

[12]Mar 7, 2011
    • level: 18

It is odd

They're concerned about a will or stubbornness that seems to be unique to humans. That, as a whole, we don't take to being pushed around very well. It's a personality trait.

Now, many attribute our personalities to be a product of our souls. While others say it's about the wiring in our brain: part nature, part nurture.

Anna wants to crush our spirit, and from everything they've read and heard, the soul is the source. So they're trying to find it.

Meanwhile it would just be easier for them to mass-lobotomize or drug the humans into a stupor. Enough so they don't fight back, but not enough to prevent them from keeping the day-to-day from running.

I could see the ex-Priest finally confronting her and saying "it's not something you can see or feel or find, only experience. Your experiments are in vain."

Edited on 03/07/2011 9:47am

roams

[13]Mar 8, 2011
    • level: 6

ElmoKajaky wrote:

Absolutely right, the "let's extract the human soul so we can defeat the humans" plot is one of the dumbest ideas the writers could have come up with (edging out the whole "aliens that don't understand human emotions" cliche for dumbest plot line honors). Weak, weak, weak. Doesn't even make sense within the context of the show's universe. So achingly stupid. Too bad there's really no other SF on TV at the moment. Damn, I miss the Star Trek shows, and Babylon 5...and Firefly... As if aliens would never have heard of the concept of superstition. FFS!

I agree the whole soul thing is where I draw the line.

YES this is SCIFI...
    YES they are ALIENS...
    ...and as such they're the embodiment of a superior science and culture... not about to fall for mysticism and supernatural from a primitive culture... even if the show would portray or even support the old spiritual wisdoms of the more primitive culture and their belief in the soul... why would the leader of a superior culture, with no tangible evidence, instantly adopt the notion of the existance of the souls and the particular school of thought that souls have anything to do with emotions... she heard it on the street? a couple of people brought it up?... I mean WTF she can't figure out chemical releases in our brains as responses to stimuli trigger certain emotive states in humans and attribute this phenomenon as the primary source of emotions? Is it THAT different from the externally induced "bliss"?

Also they adopt this concept of the soul... but nothing else that comes with it like life after death or any sort of spiritual belief system?
    "Yeah the soul... that is the real deal... but all this other God stuff junk is made up by stupid humans..."

A simple christian (since this is where the show seems to lean) view would reveal that the soul cannot be destroyed (Thomas Aquinas) and that the soul is not "some organ from which emotions come from" but rather an integral part of your being and reasoning... if anything, a more traditional view would be that most emotions are more of a betrayal of your physical body... So how does Anna come to such a precise interpretation of what the soul is... ?

WTH do souls and emotions have to do with anything in this story at this point anyways? They are here to reproduce and evolve... this was certainly an extra piece of plot that was not needed, poorly thought out (like most plot twists).... and is definitely unwelcomed. I mean what's the point of all this messing about... they certainly have brute force on their side... enough dancing around with news reporters and public appearance and begin the freaking subduing already.

It also does not help this particular plot mechanic that the Vs are anything but phlegmatic and that we see them smile, rage, show satisfaction and annoyance all the time...

The creator of the original series tries to sue them to have his name dissassociated from this project... that should be a good enough indicator for you that you are watching a crappy show in case you lack discernment.

Go watch Fringe, Firefly, BSG or Spartacus and up your standards.

And yeah... To the "stop watching the show" people:

I will bash your show (with properl expressed criticism) as much as I want to and will point out it stupidity with clear arguments as I have done above.

Why do I watch it? In part for the same reason I look at something on FailBlog.
    This is FailTV.... and I'll come here and discuss positive and negative takes I have on it including it's ridiculous plot holes and flawed characters with anyone that has an opinion.
    I also watch it because this rips a franchise I hold dear and does a piss-poor job (IMO) of renewing it and I will make all the comparisson I feel like making.
    Go start a thread about how amazing an aspect of the show is if you wanna discuss something else and maybe I'll even agree with you if you make sense.
    These are forums and they're for people with opinions, not for fanboys looking to keep the criticism at a minimum and try to boo and shoo people away.
    Either you have an opinion to share or you are just trying to repress someone elses.

And if you really feel the whole "souls plot angle" makes sense... then make a case for it.

Edited on 03/08/2011 4:58pm
    Edited 14 total times.

lblanime

[14]Mar 15, 2011
    • level: 1

Personally I find the whole soul storyline makes sense in terms how it's a battle between human's and V's

You have to remember, this is an alien race who breed by taking the best of DNA from their Victims and since Anna doesn't want her soldiers to be infected with soul's/conscience's otherwise she'll have no control over her soldiers even with the bliss... In theory one side of an view could argue that the very basic of human DNA contain a soul... but Anna also wants to be able to control the humans and to her, the soul is a threat... since we all feel compassion and how we conflict with our souls when making a difficult decision.....

Well that my general standpoint view of how i see this storyline but as someone pointed out... it's Sci Fi so the rules pretty much go out the window lol

I enjoy this series but I can't really compare it with the original since I was only a baby when those were aired....

roams

[15]Mar 16, 2011
    • level: 6

lblanime wrote:

it's Sci Fi so the rules pretty much go out the window lol

Nah. Maybe in "fantasy" they do but not in sci-fi.

In sci-fi you establish new rules, apply of new scientific principles, change an event to show how the future unfolds in an alternate timeline and alter reality... but the rules you establish are well explained and the audience can understand how this reality differs from ours.

If the show is gonna keep this "soul story" up, it needs to start explaining souls in terms of lore.

Edited on 03/16/2011 3:57pm

aktarian

[16]Apr 3, 2011
    • level: 5
    The whole soul concept looks like a making of a weapon that will allow humans to prevail in the end. you can draw parallels with insurgency where you have technologically superior army but other side is more dedicated and willing to suffer more for victory, technology vs human spirit. I expect that Anna's bliss will be somehow neutralized by soul in form of emotions, conciousness etc and in the end turned against Vs.