V Forums

ABC (ended 2011)

Surely this will be better than the original?

chikanoman

[1]Oct 30, 2009
    • level: 12

The original series was rubbish so i'm sure we are all hoping this series can make up for the disater that was.

Well we can only hope!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kok_warlock

[2]Oct 31, 2009
    • level: 11
    chikanoman wrote:

The original series was rubbish so i'm sure we are all hoping this series can make up for the disater that was.

Well we can only hope!

I only watched a few episodes of the mini-series, and I thought it was pretty awful, most of it looked like an even more over the top cop show where the guy solves everything with one big punch, and mostly bad stories.

Geri12

[3]Nov 2, 2009
    • level: 1

I DVRd the original mini-series yesterday and I have to agree. The show was pretty bad. Funny, I don't remember the show being that bad when I saw it years ago. I was a lot younger and less discriminating then, I guess. However, I haven't given up hope about the new show. Maybe ABC can do for V what SyFy did for Battlestar Galactica?

Maxximus_Prime

[4]Nov 2, 2009
    • level: 8
    The miniseries was awful. The first thing bad about it was they did away with the creepy alien voice reverberation... then they killed Martin only to bring him back as his twin brother Phillip... then they metamorphed the star child, Elizabeth into the star woman that fell in love with Kyle. I could go on all day. There's no way in hell that this new series will be as bad as the older one.

LeeAdama0

[5]Nov 3, 2009
    • level: 1
    Prepare for the arrival of the Visitors tonight on V with TV Tango's list of Top 10 TV Alien Arrivals, Invasions & Landings: http://www.tvtango.com/news/detail/id/111

ladycatherine

[6]Nov 3, 2009
    • level: 14
    THe original was very good for when it came in the 80's. As this will be also be good for coming out now..

cartoonfan

[7]Nov 3, 2009
    • level: 10
    Well the original was good back in 1983-1985, but this new one looks great for 2009, this one may look just as fake too in 10 to 20 years. From what I saw of it, it looked good.

KingofIPirates

[8]Nov 3, 2009
    • level: 32
    From the premiere I just witnessed the original would have to be better.

Maxximus_Prime

[9]Nov 3, 2009
    • level: 8
    So far, I have to admit that the original has a couple of legs up on this new series, but it's only been 1 hour. I'm willing to see it through before writing it off.

Merlin4421

[10]Nov 4, 2009
    • level: 7
    Yes now the original is dated and crap, but you have to remember it came out in the 80's and is on par for most shows of that time. Pretty much most of the shows were cheesy and similar in the 80's.

kanniballl

[11]Nov 4, 2009
    • level: 18
    Merlin4421 wrote:
    Yes now the original is dated and crap, but you have to remember it came out in the 80's and is on par for most shows of that time. Pretty much most of the shows were cheesy and similar in the 80's.

Agreed.

You can't judge an old show based on current standards... back then the show might've been the bee's knees (use of dated phrase on purpose).

I've gone back to a bunch of old shows I used to love from the 80s... shows that I was excited about and would watch with splendor.

Today I can barely stand them, with some minor exceptions. Admittedly it's partially because I was younger back then, but also because quality/content/plot/theme/etc has evolved on the TV since then. TV writers/directors/etc have slowly been pushing the societal boundaries over the last few decades. Where at one point only wholesome family value shows and/or sitcoms were given green light, more mature content has been allowed.

Face it, today we have grittier shows, darker plots, deeper themes, etc. There's no way "The Shield" or "Rescue Me" or something more benign like "Law & Order: Special Victim's Unit" would've been aired back in the 80s with the current stories / dialogue / content. Even something like Heroes would've been treated like a Leper and had its scripts burned. A young teenage girl getting impaled/attacked/etc every few episodes? A man that removes the brains from his victims? What's the matter with you?

So today the execs think "Hey, this show did alright back then and had a decent premise. We could modern-it-up and have a new series."
    Edited on 11/04/2009 8:58am
    Edited 2 total times.