TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

V Forums

ABC (ended 2011)

Things That Just Don't Make Sense **SPOILERS**

ummhaniyyah

[1]Nov 26, 2009
    • level: 8

After watching the fourth episode my conclusion is that V is mediocre at best but that I'll continue to watch. That said, the following are things that just don't add up so far:

- ABC waiting until March to air new episodes. Extremely poor business decision.

- Ryan's plot line: He must have some idea of what the Vs plan is for Earth, but he hasn't said nor has he been asked - not even in that scene where he tells Erika to ask him everything she wants to know so that they can move on from there. Ha!!

Ryan must also be aware of what is reproductively possible between Visitors and humans and if they can reproduce (what are the odds of a reptilian species and ours being able to do that?) why didn't he take precautions? Note, that in the scene where his fiancee reveals that she is pregnant he looks worried but not surprised.

You wonder where the love part comes into their relationship when just about every happy moment between them is really a deception on his part - walking her to work, hugging her, initiating sex - everything. Well, at least he doesn't think she smells bad a la Dale (Erika's old sleeper V partner).

What are Ryan's motives really - okay love of his fiancee, but I'll ask again as I did once already on this forum, didn't he know what would be in store for her; for them when the Vs did finally come on the scene. What was his plan beyond sticking his head in the sand?

- Morris Chesnut's (Ryan) acting or to be fair maybe just the lines he is given - so one dimensional. Ryan comes off as aggressive and jumpy almost all of the time. No nuance, no rounded character. And of course we still know very little about him. But then, he's so cardboard-ish that I hardly care.

- Sloppy Anna: The whole thing with the medical staff. It didn't make sense that she would stop suspecting anyone else once the tech stepped forward to say he'd killed Dale. Maybe I'm better V high commander material but I would a) suspect that someone might sacrifice themselves intentionally to get me off the tail of the real culprit and b) I would immediately suspect Joshua, just because he was obviously close to the tech who stepped forward and was also obviously distressed when he was sentenced.

Sloppy also not to have either surveillance or other people present at the skinning (if the point of it was to make a public example of the traitor).

If you are trying to see whether someone is The One wouldn't you check into every aspect of their lives? It couldn't be that hard to discover that Tyler's mother is an FBI agent and indeed the same one who saved Anna's lieutenant's life and who had been Dale's partner. Even before knowing all of those things the prudent thing would be to put surveillance on Tyler's mother to see if/what she was up to.

Stupid, stupid, stupid: But then Anna isn't the only one who lacks sense. Going to the raid on the vaccine warehouse without masking your identity (and no Erika's ski cap doesn't count). Talking about the 5th column openly in the hallway of the ship and in the skinning room. Not covering your tracks - this goes for just about everything that Erika, Ryan and Jack the Priest are doing. And apparently Joshua as well since he doesn't seem to have been able to cloak his murder of Dale, even though he is a doctor.

Not explaining to your son why he should avoid the Vs and assuming that he is doing so even though he's completely obssessed with them. Not explaining to your fiancee that the Vs or at least their healing centers are to be avoided and why.

The bliss - Don't really get this. Yes, I know it was the reason that the 5th Column leader Ryan went to see gave up all of the other rebels, but it still seems just like a cheesy excuse for us to get a hint of Anna with her clothes off.

No culture - One of the dull aspects of the show so far is that we've gotten no feel for the Vs' culture and none of the humans on the show have asked about it. Do Visitors have families? We know now that Anna is Lisa's mother and that they have some kind of relationship...but what's the social structure? How are their bodies and physical capabilities similar or different (yes, I know they are reptilian)? Where have they come from? Again, no humans on the show have asked this, not even the reporter though that's one of the most interesting questions.

The ending shot of hundreds of V ships moving towards our galaxy was overkill. Either the ships are bringing things (supplies, more Vs) or taking them away (our natural resources, humans). The New York mother ship appears to be the size of a small town so that is scary and doesn't seem to present many options when our heroes currently consist of four people.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KingofIPirates

[2]Nov 26, 2009
    • level: 32
    Pretty accurate depiction concerning the numerous inconsistencies and potential pitfalls of V, I frankly think so far V has been much worse than mediocre primarily because of the trainwreck that was the pilot.
    My one complaint however is the hundreds of V ships moving towards the galaxy being overkill.

Shows like StarGate are able to use just four people to pull off,sabotage and undermine the plans of foes who are far in away technologically superior with far superior numbers and are able make those stories plausible enough to retain the suspension of disbelief. Granted the core characters don't seem to be as technologically(as a whole), strategetically and combat savvy as SG:1 but they already have a major advantage of having a V who already knows much of how the Visitors systems work.

ummhaniyyah

[3]Nov 26, 2009

KingofIPirates wrote:
    Pretty accurate depiction concerning the numerous inconsistencies and potential pitfalls of V, I frankly think so far V has been much worse than mediocre primarily because of the trainwreck that was the pilot. My one complaint however is the hundreds of V ships moving towards the galaxy being overkill. Shows like StarGate are able to use just four people to pull off,sabotage and undermine the plans of foes who are far in away technologically superior with far superior numbers and are able make those stories plausible enough to retain the suspension of disbelief. Granted the core characters don't seem to be as technologically(as a whole), strategetically and combat savvy as SG:1 but they already have a major advantage of having a V who already knows much of how the Visitors systems work.

You are right about the numbers and other shows and about these characters so far not proving themselves worthy. I

don't necessarily see how that fleet could be defeated (but then again what we saw could be cargo vessels) as such but I can see how resistance on Earth could make the Vs retreat, turn around, choose another target.

But any scenario that would route the Visitors would need to be well-thought out. So far, I don't have faith that these writers would conceive of something plausible, without tons of holes. Fingers crossed.

Arrix85

[4]Nov 27, 2009
    • level: 16

just a minor note: from what we have seen the fleet of V is in a solar system of OUR galaxy (and from what i understand looking in the Internet, the V in the original series were from Vega, but it could be different this time arounf) . In the images we don't see any galaxy from the outside, so.

About the characters: I really don't like Erica and her son (Tyler is an idiot, that's it), the others are overall ok. Right now I Think the series is ok, but it could go south real fast.

Jooj

[5]Nov 27, 2009
    • level: 10

The bliss is supposed to represent the adoration and euphoria supporters of Obama feel. This is obviously evil, for rather than basking in the glory of the lord, they choose to follow someone on earth (variously a muslim/atheist/reptilian) which can only lead to the doom of all mankind, as will the bliss in V.

You also forgot the impossibility of a human/V hybrid. I know it's a scifi cliché, but it's just ridiculous. We can't even reproduce with other species from our own planet, never mind aliens. They needed a lot of hi tech interference to produce hybrids in startrek and the x-files, not so here. Crazy.

Edited on 11/27/2009 6:09pm
    Edited 3 total times.

Frenz9

[6]Nov 28, 2009
    • level: 10
    V is currently only on episode 4, the show has only just managed to establish the main characters so far & given the basic broad concept plot, most of the issues i have been reading from people are simply just speculated, as no real character development or information has been given out yet.
    ummhaniyyah wrote:
    - Ryan's plot line: He must have some idea of what the Vs plan is for Earth, but he hasn't said nor has he been asked - not even in that scene where he tells Erika to ask him everything she wants to know so that they can move on from there. Ha!!
    He probably could speculate an idea, but i have a feeling that the producers want the Vs plan to be one of the plot lines over the season.
    ummhaniyyah wrote:
    Ryan must also be aware of what is reproductively possible between Visitors and humans and if they can reproduce (what are the odds of a reptilian species and ours being able to do that?) why didn't he take precautions? Note, that in the scene where his fiancee reveals that she is pregnant he looks worried but not surprised.
    I initially got a few theories when i saw this, the V's possibly impregnated her in the clinic (Maybe part of the plan?), Ryans response was suprised, but we only saw his act for his wife i suspect we will see this expanded in the next episode.
    ummhaniyyah wrote:
    Not explaining to your son why he should avoid the Vs and assuming that he is doing so even though he's completely obssessed with them. Not explaining to your fiancee that the Vs or at least their healing centers are to be avoided and why.
    Completely agree, although i realize she cant exactly risk letting the secret out, she mush at least make clear that he cannot get near them, when Aliens decend from the sky offering peace.. a teenage boys mother telling him to not be interested is not going to stop him.
    ummhaniyyah wrote:
    No culture - One of the dull aspects of the show so far is that we've gotten no feel for the Vs' culture and none of the humans on the show have asked about it. Do Visitors have families? We know now that Anna is Lisa's mother and that they have some kind of relationship...but what's the social structure? How are their bodies and physical capabilities similar or different (yes, I know they are reptilian)? Where have they come from? Again, no humans on the show have asked this, not even the reporter though that's one of the most interesting questions.
    This is another part of the show that has not had the time to expand on yet, their whole appearance, image & everything we have seen has been fabricated for deceiving us. To see there culture i suspect we would need to see their real forms, motives & how they live on their home world. Overall, i'm happy with how the show & characters have been handled so far, the best show this season at least.

TeamRamRod1

[7]Dec 2, 2009
    • level: 5
    Thank you Frenz9. Nice to see a post on one of the tv.com forums that can't be summed up as ****

cloudav23

[8]Dec 3, 2009
    • level: 5
    Why can't people be thankful what the show can give and do not watch the show if you have too much problem with it. I mean comparing to other scifi like star-gate universe, Torch-wood, and that show with ex-astronaut from mars ( I forgot the title), this show is much better. My point is, V is not that bad in terms of phasing and visual effects, acting and the actors are attractive to watch. I agree there are some issues like the interior designs of the ships are kinda dull, and the cliffhangers are too extreme but all I can say is give the show the benefit of the doubt and let them give us the whole show then after that give them all the comments we can give.

zitzitta

[9]Feb 15, 2010
    The problem is that even the network doesn't appear willing to give this show a chance!

boom-moo

[10]Feb 22, 2010
    • level: 75
    zitzitta wrote:
    The problem is that even the network doesn't appear willing to give this show a chance!
    They should have thought it twice before going on that crazy '4 eps-huge hiatus' schedule.

Jacks_Son

[12]Feb 24, 2010
    • level: 13

zitzitta wrote:

I disagree, when the show returns, the network is pairing it with "Lost". To me that's a strong idication that they want this show to succeed. Plus they made a recent cast addition; one Sci Fi fans know and love.