V Forums

ABC (ended 2011)

Welcome to the War Ep. 5 Discussion Thread

Eric10301

[1]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 12

To be honest I'm not quite sure why I even bothered to watch the return episode when this show is for sure going to be canceled. Anyway, the episode was mediocre at best. I'm confused as to how you can pull a finger print off an exploded brick of C4. I understand it was falsified info, but why would anyone believe something like that was even possible.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KingofIPirates

[2]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 32
    Only was able to see the first half and it was dreadful; dialogue was deplorable, certain scenes felt forced and others were just campy
    and contrived. Tyler remains one of the worst characters I've ever seen and I can only hope his character gets killed off soon though it's looking like the series is gonna put him on the pedestal as 'special' given the V's inexplicable interest in him.
    Hopefully the second half is the complete opposite of the first half though I'm not holding my breath.
    Eric10301 wrote:
    I'm confused as to how you can pull a finger print off an exploded brick of C4. I understand it was falsified info, but why would anyone believe something like that was even possible.
    I initially found that confusing as well though I suppose it could be explained under the guise of the V's having superior technology beyond our current level of understanding.

RogerMarket

[3]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 12

Was that a video or a simulation? If it was a video, I think I can suspend my disbelief and go along with the thinking that the aliens could pull the print from a video.

If it was a simulation, then yeah, that's a bit trickier. Where would it have come from?

And actually...I thought this was one of the better episodes of the series in terms of developments. Awesome ending. They're moving forward. Here's to hoping future episodes get better.

Spartacus: Blood and Sand started off as one of the worst shows on TV, from what I can gather and what I saw, but now...it's great. They really upped their game, especially in the newest episode. Dialogue is still...weird. But it's a period piece, and they're imagining what dialogue was like back then. I can suspend, as long as it's not too ridiculous. Heh. ;-)

haldrey

[4]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 22
    In sci fi you can do anything, even the impossible. The episode was pretty good, the only thing is that I think that this will be as good as it gets, so do not expect much more.

danharr

[5]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 45

Ok so everything boils down to the one. One man that can lead the resistance, one man for the V's that can mate and make superbaby, one V' for Diana that can make super soldiers. I only wish this was another tv forum so we could cuss what the hell was that goofy piece of tripe and forgive me for insulting tripe which is very good if cooked right. The previous episodes may have been boring or overwrought but at least they avoided putting every scifi cliche known to man in an episode and this one climaxes with an alien quickie and an excuse for Diana to go all lizard on some guy. The only reason I'm still watching is because I won't have much longer to watch baring a miracle in writing improvement.

silvermoon88

[7]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 9

I loved this episode. It was heart breaking at the end when she was finally going to tell her son the truth and then he pulled out his jacket/camera and she had to lie. Even better than the original and if they cancel this with the crap they have on like gossip girl and NCIS then they are insane.

ummhaniyyah

[8]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 8

I found this ep to be the best of this series so far. In agreement with the person who pointed out that there is lots of dreck on - it just is popular dreck.

I'm interested to see where they are going with the baby storylines.

I didn't really think the whole mercenary storyline was convincing (in real life he would sell them out in a second) but his character is interesting.

Many, many things about the plot don't add up (many holes), but when it is entertaining I'll suspend disbelief.

Questions I had:

The whole memories without emotion thing didn't seem to ring true for me, since when Dale recalled Erika wounding him, he got pretty worked up. I wondered if this was more like the Vulcan restraint.

Also, Anna clearly has some kind of connection with her daughter, even though it seems as if she lays multiple eggs when the need arises.

The Morris Chesnut character's conversations with his doctor friend revealed very little - to the point that I wondered why he was trusting her and/or risking her life so much.

Why didn't he try to have his friend examine Val? The way Val is acting he'll likely go to one of the Visitor Healing Centers next out of desperation and thereby alert Anna to her pregnancy.

The one thing the Doc did reveal, that the Priest is now tagged, doesn't seem to have been shared with the others. Doesn't this mean that the Priest won't be able to participate in missions now, as they will know where he is all the time? His only hope may be Joshua (the Fifth column medical officer on the NY ship).

Flyin11

[9]Apr 1, 2010
    • level: 5

silvermoon88 wrote:

I loved this episode. It was heart breaking at the end when she was finally going to tell her son the truth and then he pulled out his jacket/camera and she had to lie. Even better than the original and if they cancel this with the crap they have on like gossip girl and NCIS then they are insane.

I agree...I loved this episode and I'm so glad it's back on TV!! I don't know what's wrong with some people. This episode was miles better than the other 4. We are finally seeing them getting ready to battle each other and it's starting to get really good now. That scene where it had the lady who is pregnant with that 5th column's baby looking at the mouse in the mouse trap, getting ready to eat it...Brought back memories of the 80's show CoolI was like...I remember that! LOL Too cool. The ending was really shocking to me.I didn't expect that Anna would eat the guy Tongue outReminds me of what happens to the male Praying Mantis after it mates with the female...The female eats the male!! Great episode and can't wait till next week. The only thing I'm not happy about is the time slot. 10PM is pretty late but that is the only slot on Tuesday nights as you have the stupid show Dancing With The Stars at 8PM and then Lost at 9PM. I think that will be the downfall of it if something happens to the show...The time slot.

People...The visitors have superior technology...So it's not as far fetched as it sounds that they got a finger print off the explosives. Also, who knows...The other 5th column guy or one of the other rebels could have set that guy up so that the visitors would go after him thinking he was the one responsible and then they could recruit him. Who knows...That could be explained in a later episode. You have to let some of these things play out instead of yelling over 1 thing in a episode.

Edited on 04/01/2010 8:47am
    Edited 5 total times.

ravensron

[10]Apr 1, 2010
    • level: 2
    The "fingerprint on the C4" was explained as being accomplished by the Visitors' computer program tracking backward from the debris and fire patterns to see the scene as it was before the explosion; which is either actuallypossible for their advanced technology or they say it is (and we can't verify since we can't do it). Of course, the whole point was that - whether their technology could/couldn't do it - the Visitors faked the result, planted the mercenary's fingerprint, and said "we found this fingerprint when we reverse-tracked the explosion." The question remains as to why they bothered. Sure, they'd get good publicity in helping the human cops solve a crime against both species, so they look like helpful, considerate, clever allies. But since our plucky heroine is a potential threat to them, you'd think they would have even better publicity exposing her (which begs the question of whether they really have a reverse-track computer program). Considering they've been spying on us for years, and have a well-established underground network, impervious technology, and obviously understand human psychology enough to pull of perfect, longstanding, impersonations, the Visitors do seem to be having an awful lot of trouble figuring out, and neutralizing, their 5th column and human adversaries. I guess we'll explain the lapses by their species being used to internal cooperation - unlike us humans it is normal and natural for reptilian aliens to go with the program and not engage in treachery and hostility against their rulers.

Chaos_Zombie

[11]Apr 1, 2010
    • level: 10

I thought it was the best episode of the bunch so far. Getting better and next week's looks to be intense. Seems like the speed is going to pick up quite a bit. The whole love scene at the end with Anna was extremely cheesy and weird but the very end made it pay off. I was wondering why the V's don't go to their alien skin to 'get it on' though, haha.

Still, not half as horrible as people are saying and the ratings did alright for a return from 4+ months off. Whoever says it's guaranteed to get canceled is a fool. FlashForward is guaranteed to be canceled but V hasn't sunk that low yet. Plus, ABC may want to save face and salvage one of it's so-called 'Lost replacements' and pick it up for another 13 episodes for Season 2.

boom-moo

[12]Apr 3, 2010
    • level: 75
    I enjoyed the episode from beginning to end. Val realizing something is wrong about her pregnancy (although craving the dead rat was a bit too much), Jack being given the r6 shot and hence tagged by vs, Chad getting the vs treatment for his eventual future disease and risking the long term consequences of it, Kyle Hobbes bein recruited by the 5th column, Anna recruiting an army of her own (lol at the mating scene), Erika knowing she has to lie when Ty's jacket is around... it's war time indeed and I'll keep tuning in for the entertainment it provides.