V Forums

ABC (ended 2011)

What I've learned from watching V

tributal

[1]May 20, 2010
    • level: 1

Some of the many things I've learned from this series:

1. Aliens can travel and communicate across universes, cloak their ships, hack the most advanced computer and/or radar systems but they are completely unable to break the signals of regular mobile phones.
    2. If you are a member of a small resistance unit that is fighting an interstellar alien invasion it's perfectly fine to use cell phones to communicate - furthermore there's no reason to use any type of code or aliases when talking on the phone as you (per #1 above) can be safe in the knowledge that no-one but your team can listen in.
    3. If you are a member of a small resistance unit that is fighting an interstellar alien invasion you need a club house: preferably something that resembles the Bat Cave or a dungeon. The cellar of a church is perfect since getting an internet hook-up will not be any problem and your comings and goings won't be noticed by any non-guerrillas. If the club house can be located at the workplace of one of the unit's members this is even better as it will cut down on time spent commuting.
    4.1. If you are a member of a small resistance unit that is fighting an interstellar alien invasion and a journalist (who's in bed with said aliens) approach you, it's perfectly OK to acknowledge that you are a member of or has direct contact to the resistance and to defend it's actions - such as the alleged killing of innocent bystanders - and if said defense requires you to reveal information that only the resistance would know that is OK too. After all, journalists have a strong sense of ethics, and if not they are usually too daft to take a hint.
    4.2. It is also a good idea to meet with said journalist as close to the clubhouse (see #3) as possible.
    4.3. It's OK to ask the journalist to pass on a fake message to your collaborators abord the alien space ship in order to create a diversion, even if it pin-points where said collaborators are located (in the medical bay).
    5.1. A sniper located 100 meters from his target will be unable to see or hear any other people shouting or motioning directions to each other and/or the target.
    5.2. If a sniper located 100 meters from his target somehow IS able to see or hear people shouting or motioning directions to each other and/or the target, the sniper will simply assume that all the shouting is unrelated to what he's currently doing - even if the shouting discloses (in every detail) a hair-brained plan for how to catch said sniper.
    6. Aliens have never heard of CCTV and subsequently they have not realized how such equipment could help monitor their own crews (and visitors) as to prevent the resistance unit from spreading through the ranks.
    7. If you are a bearded member of a small resistance unit that is fighting an interstellar alien invasion and a sketch of your ugly mug is shown on all TV-channels around the world there's no reason to stay out of the streets nor (just brain storming here) shave as to make yourself look different from the sketch.
    8. If you are an armed member of a small resistance unit that is fighting an interstellar alien invasion and you find yourself in the same room as the Queen/Evil Leader of said aliens it is better to stare at the Queen with a frown than to pull your gun and blow the lizard's brains out and end the invasion (after all we got renewed for a second season so there will be more opportunities...)

Edited on 05/20/2010 4:02pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DarthFreeza

[2]May 20, 2010
    • level: 23

What I've learned from watching V:

People just love to nitpick at the little things.

Honestly, I don't mean to be rude, but everyone complains about the same things.
    It's TV, and it's SCIFI! Some of your points are pretty valid and some are just completely out of context.
    But it is TV. We couldn't expect it not to violate certain boundaries that would work in real life. I'm sure that V's would have tapped cell phones or suspected fifth collumn and all that but then there would be no plot.

tributal

[3]May 21, 2010
    Nitpicking? Out of context?

Buahahahaha!

simonsays42

[4]May 21, 2010
    • level: 3

Heck, you just scratched the surface. Don't forget the V can monitor people around the world with their nifty jackets, but they can't monitor their own ship. You would figure an advanced tech race, with known 5th column enemies on board, could put up some kind of monitoring system. Hey, the humans could even give them some used hall cameras as an exchange for all the tech they gave us.

O.k. how about 1000's of V solder babies, born before they arrive on earth, like just in case.

How about awhiny,cry baby of a son, gets "accidentally"blown away......Sorry, I digress...

Jacks_Son

[5]May 21, 2010
    • level: 13

I think you're deliberately forgetting the fact that the writers and showrunners already know they have a flawed series and are determined to fix it; hence the long delay before "V" returns. You're pointing out stuff that they already know about. I applaud their efforts to bolster the show. Unlike "FlashForward" which kept on beating a dead horse.

boom-moo

[6]May 21, 2010
    • level: 75
    There is a lot of exciting stuff going on at a church's sacristy.

ollyhume

[7]May 21, 2010
    • level: 8
    Nice, that made me giggle. The show has more holes than the rubber doll I keep under my bed.

sandonzebeach

[8]May 22, 2010
    • level: 8

I love Sci-Fi, it's a nice way to disconnect from life's routine and fuel imagination, i find it very entertaining. I'm a big fan of Stargate SG1 among others great tv shows and, although i was pretty young when the original V was on French television (thank god my English is now good enough to banish dubbed episodes!), i enjoyed it a lot: it was scary, amusingly gross (remember the Vs eating mice!), the characters were likable, etc. Special effects were not amazing at the time but they did the job, combined to great plots and action.

I have to agree with some of you, Sci-Fi is not only about CGI... The plot, actors and pace of the show are as important, if not more. And it seems that the team who works on this new V show hasn't figured that out yet. It's kept me entertained but they will have to stop calling Sci-Fi aficionados stupid, seriously. I'll give it a try for season 2 but i expect the show to come back well improved: let's make it a little bit more plausible and less cheesy! Back to basics! It seems that Sci-Fi has suffered its own popularity lately, perhaps they've tried to make it more appealing to a wider range of TV viewers by over-using CGI and drama, the same way food industry adds up salt and/or sugar to cheap food so that it tastes better. Look at Stargate Universe!

The resistance is limited to a bunch of self-centered people who make silly decisions too often. Father Jack... Tyler... The journalist... Ryan... what the hell? Don't even get me start on the aliens' technology nonsense or all the discrepancies of the plot!

Don't get me wrong, I want to be optimistic about season 2, V was and could be a hell of a show again...

C'mon guys! No more disappointment! Get to work! Smile

DominicTaylor0

[9]May 23, 2010
    • level: 2

brilliant!

Spendant

[10]May 23, 2010

I just enjoy watching it. I know that there are many holes in this show, (I could list quite a few more), but I watch it for the passion that emanates from the actors. Some of them are very good(I think they are). Joshua, Lisa, Anna and a few others, they bring life to my heart. I love sci-fi and fantasy shows, but most of all, I love shows that have people fighting for the greater good and against the majority that will believe anything. "V" is definitely one of those kind of shows and sci-fi to boot.

guidodi

[11]May 24, 2010

LOL

Don't forget the small round robots they send all the time and have located the resistance acouple of times but they CAN'T record anything, they can only see the heat signals from the body...

Edited on 05/24/2010 12:22am

scud70

[12]May 25, 2010

Dude you wrote every single thing i was thinking and that was annoying me about this show.. i dont know who the writers are but Mr Burns' Monkeys would do a better job!! No offense to the monkeys!

karlandi

[13]May 27, 2010
    • level: 7

You guys seem to have forgotten that is SciFI, not everything has to be true (as we know it). I watch scifi because it captures me and takes me to another universe for an hour. Lets take star trek for instance. Warp drive? an impossibility (as we know it, the passengers would be atomic particles in an instant), Time travel? again imposable, any little thing can change the time line irreparably. Teleporters? UM LOL?. Need I go on? Scifi was designed to suspend reality for a while, and cause enjoyment in its viewers. If you are a nitpicker SCIFI IS NOT FOR YOU, GO TROLL ELSEWHERE.

Edited on 05/27/2010 9:39pm
    Edited 2 total times.

guidodi

[14]May 27, 2010
    Karlandi we all know that, but do you think it is posible to reach that level of technology and not have a little camera like the ones we have in every cellphone in the world??

karlandi

[15]May 27, 2010
    • level: 7

Have you thought that maybe it is so below their technology that they just don't care? Or that they dont have the man power to monitor every single call from the hundreds of millions of cell phones across the world? Again, I watch scifi to take me away, entertain me. My favorite show is Doctor Who and the whole concept is an impossibility. Does that mean i dont like it? no, its Scifi. I dont care if people can time travel , stop time, portal to different dimensions, fly, shoot lasers out of their eyes, or go through wormholes. All I care about is being entertained. And this show does that.

Edited on 05/27/2010 10:19pm

ibnuts

[16]Jun 2, 2010

tributal, you bring up many valid points. However, I'm not sure who it was, said that the writers "need to learn that Sci-fi viewers aren't stupid." No they don't, because if Sci-fi viewers were the only ones watching this show, then it would already be canceled, the same way every other Sci-fi show is. The reason Lost and other shows lasted was because people who aren't normally into Sci-fi (i.e. the dumb general populace who likes to "turn up, tune in, and zone out") don't give a sh1t about all that. You think they care about plot when they're the same people that make American Idol and other such drivel popular? Face it, our opinions don't count. All I care is that they make these shows as popular as possible while still retaining some semblance of plausibility so that I can enjoy it for as long as I can.

I thought FlashForward was excellent, but it was too slow-paced for idiots that think CSI or NCIS are the height of drama, and are used to being able to watch any one episode of a show without watching any of the intervening ones and automatically know what's going on. The FlashForward producers forgot the primary function of being a producer: to make the show popular! They made it slow-paced, which I loved, but for the average, fat, lazy American who can't even put instant gratification away long enough to not eat a cake and work out, that made it unwatchable. Lost got away with being that slow because it was very character-driven, which appealed to females that wouldn't otherwise watch a show like that.

Hopefully some of this will change over time, as the network execs are already realizing that alternative viewing practices (DVR, Hulu, iTunes, etc) are cutting into their audience, which will drive down advertiser revenues. I hope we get to the point when we can all pay piecemeal for shows/networks if we want them, and hopefully that will motivate networks to make good shows. HBO/Showtime already make far greater quality shows than the networks, and don't care if they're not hugely popular since they make money off subscribers. It won't happen overnight, because you still have all the traditional, technology-averse idiots such as "Nielsen families" influencing things, but as time goes on, I see things moving in that direction. I, for one, would be happy to pay $2-3/show that I like/week to ensure it stays on the air for as long as the writers have a story for it. It would be more than I pay now, since I don't have cable and use Hulu, Netflix, torrents, etc since I can never trust that I'll get to watch shows I like for as long as they should be on for.

Edited on 06/02/2010 4:55am

bonjovichick

[17]Jun 2, 2010
    • level: 16

Who cares... really why bother watching the show if you see all these flaws? I watch the show exactly because it isn't all that SCI- Fi and accurate. I watch it because I enjoy the drama aspects of it and the good versus evil etc. If there were things that bothered me about it... well I wouldn't watch it and wouldn't spend any time commenting on it. There are lots of shows that I am sure if I watched I would think are stupid but then my only comment would be I would be stupid if I ever watched it again after making that determination.

tjaman

[18]Jun 7, 2010
    • level: 32
    Demand more of the shows you enjoy.

The writers, yes, should tell the story they want to tell - my answer to part of those concerns raised is that the V mindset is different enough from human mindset as to ignore the possibility that one driven, motivated person or small team could make a difference (although they have identified the Fifth Column as a threat). They see themselves as a monolithic collective and approach humanity as one, despite what intelligence they must have received from their advance team.

But to suggest that the post isn't valid because you like the show, so therefore more critical viewers don't, and their posts are less valid, somehow, then this isn't really a discussion forum anymore. It's just an echo-chamber for fans.

People are allowed to enjoy -- even love -- a show -- and at the same time find fault with it. This critique lays out -- very respectfully, I might add, even with a very discernible twinkle in its eye -- some concerns I've had with "V" for some time, and I thank tributal for posting the outline.

chkaiban

[19]Jun 8, 2010

Your totally right but it is just a light series, season 1 had only 12 episodes, which will obviously end next year with Season 2

kanniballl

[20]Jan 6, 2011
    • level: 18

Actually, point #3 (about the location of the "club house")... the Church is an ideal headquarters for now.

If the club house is found, then chances are the forensic evidence alone would let them find out who's been in there very quickly. And that's assuming you didn't leave any personal items behind. And this is from basic real-life forensics, forget about the whole Visitor-tech forensics they can use. Likewise, if someone (like the Priest or even th FBI agent) were captured they'd find out really quickly where the club house is. Either via torture or simply investigating where the captive has been in the last month.

By having it at the church, the Priest can keep an eye on it most of the day without having to leave his place of business / worship. Left unattended you have to worry about any number of people stumbling on it, which can lead to issues. Kids, drug dealers, urban explorers, cops, homeless / squatters, etc.At least this way he'll know right away. He can also step in front of them and try to stop them (especially if it's a cop).

A Church is actually an ideal meeting place. If the FBI mole (or even some random Fed) notices she's disappearing every now and then they might wonder where and why. And if it's happening a bunch during the work-day, then the chances of someone noticing you're disappearing is pretty high.

- If it was some remote warehouse it would immediately raise some red flags.
    - If it was some safe-house in the suburbs then they might ask who are you seeing seeing (and why).
    - If it's to a church, then she can easily explain that everything going on has caused her to turn to God for strength / clarity / etc.

Actually, the church is perfect here. Half of the people would immediately be afraid of offending her religious beliefs by taking it further, and the other half would have an understandable reason.

And complaining about Internet access? in 1998 my church already had Internet access for the priests. Priests computers too, they're not Amish or in some secluded monastery in the mountains.

As for communication, it's a tough call. Even in the civilian world people tend to notice if you start carrying around a second cellphone, so even if you DID get an encrypted cellphone to talk to your mates your co-workers would notice. In the civilian world it gets noticed really quick because people often assume it's a sign of having an affair. In the Intelligence world (such as the FBI) it would be especially noticed because they are always on the look out for security breaches, so they would notice a second phone or that you're making drops. But an ordinary phone call is no big deal: I'm just calling my Priest.

Sure, they'd have to worry about the Vs setting up some Canivore/Echelon/etc monitoring system to listen for known keywords or voices. But it seems like they don't have one yet. So far we've only seen them redirect a phonecall, which went noticed by the local switch board.

Lastly, we're talking about a rag-tag group of people "just" starting to get together. Only the criminal really knows how this goes down, and the FBI agent has at least SOME knowledge (but she's under constant scrutiny). So the Priest making stupid mistakes is to be taken with a grain of salt.

Edited on 01/06/2011 7:13am
    Edited 5 total times.