V Forums

ABC (ended 2011)

What I've learned from watching V

kanniballl

[21]Jan 6, 2011
    • level: 18

Also, do you REALLY think killing Anna would end the invasion?

They've already said, including the alien turn-coat, that a big sign of aggression and the Vs will just full-out invade. With their ships hovering over strategic places, they wouldn't even have to do too much to screw us. And that's ignoring the fact that there are dozens/hundreds more ships just waiting to strike out in space.

Anna might be important, but I have no doubt someone else would step up and take control. Heck, in the original series (or mini series) wasn't there a character that was constantly trying to take power from Dianna?

The ONLY shot they would have with this plan, is if the princess took over. But as we've seen, she's in the dark about a LOT of the invasion plans so I doubt the Invasion-plans call for her being in command. Chances are there is a military leader/advisor that would have to step in and take control of the military action while the princess just act as the public figure-head to keep the natives in check.

So killing Anna would lead to 1 of 2 outcomes:

- It triggers a full-out attack

- The V's play it cool and turn all of humanity against the terrorist group while continuing their plans. Considering how infatuated humanity is with Dianna, they'd probably be more hunted than Osama.

Edited on 01/06/2011 7:13am
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kanniballl

[22]Jan 6, 2011

I should mention...

Yes, I agree that V has a bunch of logistical issues. But even the best shows have a bunch of plot-holes.

I'm just saying, some of the problems have with shows can easily be taken with a grain of salt with imagination or some logic.

roams

[23]Jan 12, 2011
    • level: 6

Check this out... Ana can produce thousands of offsprings in less time that a human woman can bring one human child to life... but they come to this planet because it seems vital for them to figure how to reproduce with humans for the survival of their species.

To accomplish this... Ana needs to control human emotion (as well as ad some chemical into our bodies). To do that, she has identify that she needs to destroy the human souls which she believes exists and also beleives is the source of emotions. Apparently the Vs have souls too... but they didn't know it 'til they came to earth. Coming to earth is revealing how they have souls and developping emotions too through experiences they apparently could not experience wherever they came from...

So now Ana is on a quest to identify the souls and destroy them...

Yeah... I'm done with the show.

The 80s version was so much better story wise. Aliens stranded far from home coming to earth under the guise of peace to hide the truth that they were here to harvest away our resources as well as freeze us for food... now that was cool.

Now it's like the religious lobby has taken over this piece of crap.

Edited on 01/12/2011 5:33am

kanniballl

[24]Jan 12, 2011

roams wrote:

Check this out... Ana can produce thousands of offsprings in less time that a human woman can bring one human child to life... but they come to this planet because it seems vital for them to figure how to reproduce with humans for the survival of their species.

I'm losing faith as well.

OK, I can see the plot general storyline being OK if they improve the rest of the episodes this season. In the past it was "to take our water and eat us" which is a little cliche by now. Coming here to repopulate their species (and perhaps eat some of us) has the potential to be deeper.

But already 2 episodes into this season, I have my doubts.

I'm a little confused with the Anna thing: she's sterile now? I guess she used up the last of her eggs (a few thousand) to make the Soldiers that were killed (since eggs are a finite quanity in the body, while sperm is something that's produced).

Or maybe she only has soldier eggs left (or whatever) and can't populate the species like they need. Perhaps they're more savage lower-brain-function beings that they use as tools instead of existing in the society. But I think it's the egg-count thing.

I guess her daughter will have hundreds-of-thousands (if not millions) of eggs to birth a whole new major generation of regular Vs. And they need a genetically modified Kyle to do it.

But the bit with the soul? I could see them saying that it's our soul / will that makes us hard to defeat in the end. Maybe make it an ongoing theme, that we're the most willful / determined species they've tried to assimilate thus far. But this episode focused too much on "what is the soul and where is it so I can cut it out." Too literal for my tastes.

Edited on 01/12/2011 9:13am
    Edited 4 total times.

bdancer99

[25]Feb 9, 2011
    • level: 11

what i've learned: if aliens ever come to earth and say they come with peace, then there's a good chance they're lying

pgsuperfan

[26]Feb 9, 2011
    • level: 25

thats the thing about sci fi almost anything is possible

roams

[27]Feb 16, 2011

pgsuperfan wrote:

thats the thing about sci fi almost anything is possible

Including bad writing and 1 dimentional people like Tyler.
    His father dies... it's his mother's fault? He ditches her?

What about the fake FBI plant on the scene who lets the father know about some secret entrance no one else knows about.
    He talks with Erica's new partner (the Shield guy) and the boss, prances aroun without arousing suspicion and yet... Erica knows he's a plant just by hearing his name?

Nevermind Diana... show after show they need a scene with her and yet... there's not a single development as to what she wants to accomplish... probably something like bring the human soul to Vs... like their new messiah

The whole "Tyler is key to our plans" part is just sad. The original creator actually tried to have them drop his name out because he doesn't want to be associated with it.

This show is just dumb.

Edited on 02/16/2011 9:09pm
    Edited 2 total times.

pichikin

[28]Mar 6, 2011
    saying that plot holes should be overlooked just because it's "sci fi" is a disservice to sci fi and its fans. teleporters and warp speed travel are not plot holes. the nitpicks about V are not about the sci fi stuff like the tech or the aliens. the nitpicks are about the stupid stuff. lol. like the idea that a technologically advanced alien race can't grasp the benefits of a simple CCTV-type surveillance system is just ridiculous, sci fi or otherwise. that being said, i actually like this show but i accept it for what it is and what it is not.

kaniballl, i too got very confused about the anna being sterile thing. what is up with that? i hope the writers try to at least explain that one.

season 2's kinda all over the place. but at least they picked up the pace a little bit. i agree with the commenter that said the writers seem to be trying to make it better. i for one am pulling for them and for v.

kanniballl

[29]Mar 7, 2011

roams wrote:

Nevermind Diana... show after show they need a scene with her and yet... there's not a single development as to what she wants to accomplish... probably something like bring the human soul to Vs... like their new messiah

The whole "Tyler is key to our plans" part is just sad. The original creator actually tried to have them drop his name out because he doesn't want to be associated with it.

This show is just dumb.

Well, they finally revealed their plans... to an extent.

The Vs are artificially speeding up their evolution with each generation.

Each generation a Queen merges with a new species to incorporate their DNA benefits.

This time around, they "hollowed out" Kyle's DNA (as well as 20-something other humans) so they could place in a combination of Earth's best DNA. Best immune system, best characteristics, etc. They've injected that cocktail into Kyle.

So now Anna wants Kyle to do the nasty with her daughter, so the next generation will gain whatever DNA advantages humans have.

I guess regular V's can then mate with humans (and have 1-2 kids at a time) if they want, now that humans have excess phosphorous in their system.

BUT... there's the whole pesky human-emotion weakness. They see it as a weakness and want to neutralize it in their own and their offspring.

Meanwhile, Anna still sees the human soul as something that will get in the way.

Edited on 03/07/2011 7:38am

kanniballl

[30]Mar 7, 2011

pichikin wrote:
    like the idea that a technologically advanced alien race can't grasp the benefits of a simple CCTV-type surveillance system is just ridiculous, sci fi or otherwise.

Actually, the Vs have the best video surveillance ever.

It looks like every one of their peace ambassadors have a camera in their suit. Their video capture puts the UK to shame.

That being said... it is a big face-palm that they don't place un-manned cameras in the more secure areas...

Unless there are things going on there that they don't want a run of the mill Security-V to stumble upon.

After all, it looks like not all of the Vs are hip to the exact details of the plan. Heck, even Lisa is in the dark and she's a flippin' princess. Put surveillance in an area you want to keep secret from the general V population (or the traitors) and you're bound to have a leak.

I wouldn't be surprised if large areas of Langley or The Pentagon are camera-free, else there would be a recording of what was going on. I'm not saying THAT IS the case, just that I wouldn't be surprised.

Edited on 03/07/2011 7:50am

roams

[31]Mar 8, 2011

kanniballl wrote:

Well, they finally revealed their plans... to an extent.

The Vs are artificially speeding up their evolution with each generation.

Each generation a Queen merges with a new species to incorporate their DNA benefits.

This time around, they "hollowed out" Kyle's DNA (as well as 20-something other humans) so they could place in a combination of Earth's best DNA. Best immune system, best characteristics, etc. They've injected that cocktail into Kyle.

So now Anna wants Kyle to do the nasty with her daughter, so the next generation will gain whatever DNA advantages humans have.

I guess regular V's can then mate with humans (and have 1-2 kids at a time) if they want, now that humans have excess phosphorous in their system.

BUT... there's the whole pesky human-emotion weakness. They see it as a weakness and want to neutralize it in their own and their offspring.

Meanwhile, Anna still sees the human soul as something that will get in the way.

I like how you make sense of all of it. It still very much feels all over the place though.
    I guess the only thing that holds this together now is that you can only put "DNA" into someone... but not "hollow them out" after growth... I still have to wonder why not just grow a "hollowed out" queen... and put that selected DNA goodness in her later on... especially since it appears they can manipulate the aging of Vs.

The whole reproductive cycle of Vs seems incredibly complicated (or more likely just the result of an afterthough) at this point. They were lizard inspired and that was simple to grasp... green skin, lays eggs, cold blooded... etc... now they're more insect than lizard... but drone can still reproduce... maybe male V drones can impregnate female women... but 1 or 2 eggs means 1 or 2 babies... while if Tyler goes down on Lisa... that is countless seeds + countless eggs? Maximum sperm count efficiency? lol

And then we don't know if non-queen female Vs are sterile or not... could Agent Sarita Malik have done the hocky pocky with say... Hobbes and generated a whole flock of Vs? But then even the Queen becomes sterile and has limited egg production right...

So the only point of the Queen reproduction is to get this "next gen" of more evolved Vs... or create"specialized" Vs... assuming that a "drone" cannot father a "tracker"...

Now I don't wanna get started on the whole souls thing... but so far we have these masters of genetics playing around with DNA like legos... and somehow they're afraid that when breeding a human with a V queen for their evolutionary next step... some bit of "soul" is gonna slip in? That this character trait has no genetic basis but instead they immediatly make the leap of faith that "resilience" must come from the soul?
    It could not possibly be tied to the fact that we are not a "social species" like they are with queens and "pheromone-like" responses to the queen as well as casts of job-specific drones.... but rather individuals competing for reproduction and ressources?... anyways...

Frankly I think it was just more fun when the Vs came to earth because they were out of ressources and needed to make a pit stop to earth to pack up frozen meat for the journey.

Right now they're asking that we suspend disbelief that an alien species could have a DNA mechanic that could even come close to being compatible with minimal manipulation... that our DNA signatures would translate in similare traits in their species...
    I guess what I'm saying is the whole "we're here to reproduce" angle is not making for a better show. I don't see what they aim at by changing the original story.

Edited on 03/08/2011 5:19pm
    Edited 6 total times.

kanniballl

[32]Mar 9, 2011

roams wrote:

I guess what I'm saying is the whole "we're here to reproduce" angle is not making for a better show. I don't see what they aim at by changing the original story.

I agree, the whole "reproduce" goal is a bit lame. Granted the old series goal of eating us and using us as slaves was even more cliche than this, but that's not the point...

The big message of the original show was the parallel between 1930s Germany and how easily people just goose step behind some charismatic leader. I think the old show used Scientists as the scape-goats instead of a particular religious group, but you get the idea. People turning against neighbors, youth groups churning out little monsters, etc.

It was a bold show back then, heck it's even a bold show by today's standards if it aired on a broadcast network.

This show is just taking the basic plot-element (aliens arriving in big ships and trying to take control) and recycling some names and basic plot-lines.

It lacks the overall theme and message of the original.

Edited on 03/09/2011 6:04am

bwlonsdale

[33]Mar 23, 2011
    • level: 1

I saw the original show back when it aired and whilst not ground-breaking TV, it did have a coherent set of characters and plot. And despite what others think, the sfx were damn fine for a TV mini-series back then. The original show dealt with nazi themes and ideas centered around WW2/the holocaust. I got that fairly early on. Plus the Jewish characters kinda gave it away.

I haven't got the vaguest idea what this new show is trying to tell us. I know there are plot holes in many shows and sci-fi in particular and you can spend too much time worrying about them but when I don't get what the basic premise of the show is about? Alien nazis again? Nope. Exploration of religion/the soul? Nope. Ah, it must be extremist behaviour by the "good" guys? Maybe, but it's been done a whole lot better by other shows if that's it. I think I gave up trying to figure it out. They blitz from one idea to the next testing out the audience reaction. Figures are crap for Season 1, get some guest stars in from the old show, we need the old Diana back, she could do villain better. And someone get me Marc Singer's agent on the phone!!!

The problem for the show is these rebels come off as some of the worst kind of idiots ever to grace the TV screen. They've had ample opportunity to kill Anna time and again - big bombs, big guns right in front of her and still they do nowt. You've got a 5th column doctor who's pally with the queen for most of season 1. You've got Ryan who's got to be one of the dumbest aliens ever. "I'm keeping your child here with me as hostage". "Oh really...??"...blam (Anna fades away to black dust). Oh no, wait, he can't see Anna's a big time manipulator so he just plays along with that one.

"Father Jack, Father Jack, the aliens are here!!!"...."Must be God's work, but please don't go thinking they're good mind, I haven't had a chance to milk this particular show before I move onto my next failed sci-fi show" etc...

If Anna/the aliens have the capability to stick red rain over the entire planet why the hell didn't they just stick a knockout nerve gas component in it as well and have done with it? Oh right, no season 2.

And just to totally ruin the sense of belief, they get the guy from Reaper in! I kept expecting Ray Wise to pop up and go "Hiya kiddo, here's your vessel for this week". This kid is so young he must have been studying in the womb to get to be a doctor of everything.

And seriously, rebooting the show at the end of season 2? This is where it should have been opening episode. If aliens turned up tomorrow I would be expecting them to want to suck my brains out through a straw until proven otherwise - why is it only a handful of people around the world get to form a skeptics cabal??? I'd be signing up the moment Anna showed her face. Pretenama my ass.

By the end of season 2 even the writers had had enough. Everyone's getting blissed off their faces.

Canada_Michael

[34]Mar 23, 2011
    • level: 10

I think it's OK for the humans to welcome the V's but why weren't even the simplest questions asked? What is the name of your species & planet? How far away is your home planet & can we see pictures/video of it? You look exactly like us, it's incredible that two species so far away from each other would be so similar?

Why is it no one seems remotely interested in their culture, society & beliefs? You have this first contact & all you know about them is they are of peace always & that's enough for you? LOL.

roams

[35]Mar 23, 2011

Canada_Michael wrote:
    Why is it no one seems remotely interested in their culture, society & beliefs? You have this first contact & all you know about them is they are of peace always & that's enough for you? LOL.

It's like the aliens arrive and they're in that version of our world portrayed in Idiocracy.

Ofuda

[36]Mar 24, 2011
    • level: 9

The whole idea of recycling shows is really getting to me. Some get better, other is just a bad copy of the original. The 1st season didn't bring much of anything but be a copy, right through, of the first season of the original V. As that moved on I just lost more interest. Give it that the 2nd season has been far better than the 1st but I still prefer the original series.