V

Mother's Day

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Mar 15, 2011 on ABC

• Going out in style

Lousy show but great final episode!
  • The best episode of V yet!

wow where to begin , this episode was intense and best overall and had some major characters killed off and I felt like they killed of the right ones especially Tyler. he was annoying as hell but wow his death was unexpected and Ryan's death was just sad and tragic , killed by his own daughter? cruel. And Anna was badass this episode showing she is not to be underestimated, clearly she won this fight but the war continues ... or does it? i really hope it don't get cancelled because overall i think season 2 have been good and even great much better than season 1 please renew this show ABC i beg you atleast give it a real satisfying ending!
  • If it comes back for season 3, it will probably be a whole new show!

WARNING: Massive spoilers ahead! :)

This episode was SUCH A TURNPOINT to this show! As far as I know, opinions are divided on the renewal for a season 3. So much went on the second season finale that, if it does come back for a third season, I think it will be something completely different.

Ok, now big spoilers:

For what we've seen, Ryan is probably dead... but V's are hard to kill, I'm not sure if a simple neck-twist would kill him. Anyway, I think his character was just getting boring, so if he dies, it's really fine by me.

About Tyler, I think he was one of the most annoying and stupid characters on the show, so because of that I'm glad he died. On the other hand, it will be SO SAD to see Erica's reaction when she finds out! :( She loves her son so much (thumbs up for Elizabeth Mitchell's acting on that), and after losing her ex-husband-and-soon-to-be-again I think it will be literally a trauma.

So, just when she decided to be "less tough", she loses her son and finds out a secret government division that wants to take down the V's? I don't know, but I think we can expect a very much darker Erica on the way.

Chad Decker is one of the key elements to get to Anna, so my opinion is that he will get away with the voice identification thing. I'm sure the creators of the show will find a way to do that, cause if they don't... the fate of Chad is decapitation for sure. And on that matter, I don't think it was just a random thing that they didn't give away his fate after the V's come to take him to Anna!

So, Diana's death, the evil Amy and Lisa's "mean clone", father Jack getting caught on Amy's bliss, lots of ships hovering above the cities... Oh my God, where is all of this going? This has got to be one of the most shocking and full-of-twists season finales in a while. Adding it all up, I must say I was really impressed by how much the show got better on the second season, and how strong this season finale was! I just didn't give it a 10 for personal reasons... I'm a "happy-ending" kind of guy, so I was really sad about how things turned out here, so dark and hopeless.

Oh well, I wrote more than I planned to! lol But that's my review for this one... let me know what you all think, what you agree and what you disagree on! :)
  • A Fantastic End

An end to a fantastic second series, I have enjoyed every episode and it gets better and better, The actors really seem to be settling down into their characters and the more I see the more I grow to like each individual character. I didn't see the Amy thing coming at the end. I'm kinda glad Tyler's character has finished because it was getting kinda boring. I was growing to Like Dianna though I did feel when I saw her we had fallen for a second into a episode of Dynasty or something similar, but hey I liked her :-(

Classy music at the end, a really excellent surprise choice! Go Loreena McKennitt!
  • "V: Mother's Day" in Five Minutes: Joy to the world! It's over.

Erica: GAH! I dreamed Anna shot me! What a nightm--
    Hobbes: Lie back down in my arms, dearie.
    Erica: Okay, THIS is worse.

Anna: It's mating season!
    Marcus: Ew.
    Anna: Tyler will father the next V generation!
    Marcus: Double-ew.
    Freaky Amy: Mommy, I'm scared for you!
    Anna: No worries, punkin! Mommy is barren, so I won't mate at all!
    Marcus: May I PLEASE be dismissed?

Diana-gram: It's coup time. Now-ish.
    Erica: Is everyone on board with this?
    Chad, Jack, Hobbes: Present.
    Erica: Great. And Ryan, we need you up on the ship.
    Ryan: *groan* I KNEW that "more-valuable-on-the-ground" business was bulls**t. Every other week: ship, ground, ship, ground ...
    Jack: At least you're relevant.
    Ryan: Yeah, as the only black ping-pong ball in existence, I'm unique.

Lisa: Mmm, that coffin-ride was so luxuriously foreshadow-y.
    Erica: Shoot your mom.
    Lisa: Uh ... okay, I guess.

Chad: Breaking news: Anna's daughter is in mortal peril!
    Fifth Column Kidnap Video: See?
    Anna: I will go to her rescue, just like they demand.
    Thomas: My turtleneck is tingling; that's a bad sign.

Anna: OMG! Erica, you're still in the FBI?!
    Agent Chris: Yeah, I thought that was kinda bulls**t myself.
    Erica: I swear to you, Anna, your safety is my top concern.
    Anna: Why are your fingers crossed?
    Erica: No reason.

Joshua: Hail-and-welcome to the V walking openly on the very ship which, not two weeks ago, was on lockdown because we were ALL looking for you!
    Ryan: Oh, stop! I'm blushing avocado-green under this human skin!

Anna: Why, Jack! I'm shocked! You actually have something to do!
    Jack: Yeah, it's a big day for me. Here are the kidnappers' written demands.
    Tracker-V: [SNIFF SNIFF] Ruff!
    Anna: Thanks, Jack. And now, your relevance plunges back to zero.
    Jack: 'sokay. I've got God on my side.
    Anna: I hope to meet this God of yours.
    Jack: We're totally working on that.

Agent Chris: Fifth Column bugged out, leaving your daughter alone in there.
    Anna: That would sound suspicious, if Fifth Column didn't have a rich history of failure. [PODIUM] Ahem. Motherhood. Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet. That is all.
    Crowd: Wooo!

Hobbes: Okay, Lisa, here's the gun. Your mom's coming, so I'll scatter. Bye!
    Anna: Hi, Lisa. If I tell you exactly what you want to hear, will you agree not to shoot me?
    Lisa: Deal.

Chad: ... and now mother and daughter have emerged unharmed! Which should surprise no one.
    Erica: [PHONE] Hello, Diana? Anna's alive. Don't do the coup.
    Diana: Oh, I didn't put on this sumptuous, new gown to go skulk in the dungeon. [CLICK]
    Erica: Lisa, you totally screwed up!
    Lisa: But Anna's full of peace and love now! I saw it in her eyes!
    Erica: You mean her FAKE human-eye overlays?! Really! When you joined Fifth Column, I never dreamed you'd become as stupid as we are!

V's: Oooo, Diana looks fabulous!
    Diana: Hello, sweeties! Peace and love will rule our people forev--
    Anna's Tail: [SHANK]
    Diana: *Erk!*
    Anna: See, Lisa? I'm cooler than you could ever be! Take her to the dungeon! The rest of you, kneel before my awesome villainy!
    Joshua: Ryan, you're more valuable on the ground now.
    Ryan: *groan* That phrase has been thrown at me so many times, it's lost all meaning.

Ryan: Hi, Freaky Amy. Let's get out of here.
    Freaky Amy's Tail: [STRANGLE]
    Ryan: *Gak!* I die ... as I lived ... pointlessly. *Urrgh!*

Erica: [PHONE] Tyler, here's everything on the V's, which I could have told you from the first episode. You're in mortal danger!
    Tyler: Wowee! I'm gonna go verify that with my alien girlfriend! [CLICK]
    Erica: WHAT?! How could he BE that stupid?! He's not even in Fifth Column!

Agent Chris: Well, we caught Erica on surveillance telling that she's Fifth Column.
    FBI Chief: 'cause seeing her LITERALLY in bed with Hobbes wasn't proof enough.
    Agent Chris: So, we won't have to watch surveillance video of Erica and Hobbes getting frisky anymore.
    FBI Chief: That reminds me: I have a handkerchief for you to wash.

Anna: Behold, my queen-egg-blob has hatched! Turn her into ... Lisa's evil twin!
    Joshua: "Dynasty" with spaceships; that's all this is anymore.

Erica: Hi, gang. What's our status?
    Chad: Hobbes ghosted on us, your stupid kid is in enemy clutches, and Ryan is dead.
    Jack: It's the long, dark night of the soul here in the Honeycomb Hideout.
    Erica: Oh, Jack! You should have been our role model from the start!
    Jack: Oh, no! She's entering the final, debilitating stages of phythkolimitis! The stupidity is sucking her in!

Marcus: My queen, I did half-kinda-sorta betray you.
    Anna: I'm cool with that. By the way, I un-scrambled the voice in that Fifth Column kidnap video; it's Chad Decker.
    Marcus: Gosh, that simple procedure might've been useful the moment we got that video.
    Joshua: My queen, meet your new daughter.
    Evil Lisa: I am ready to serve you, Mother ... aaaaand Satan!

Evil Lisa: Hi, doughboy. Inseminate me immediately.
    Tyler: Isn't that a little freaky?
    Evil Lisa: Hardly. The rumors about us being lizards under human skin are exaggerated.
    Tyler: No, I meant losing our virginity in front of floor-to-ceiling windows.
    Evil Lisa: Oh, piffle. It's not like we're having web-cam sex!

Anna: Watch, Lisa! Web-cam sex from the comfort of your dungeon!
    Lisa: *sob!* *despair!*
    Evil Lisa: [CHOMP]
    Audience: About f***ing time.

Erica: I've been kidnapped!
    Lars: By me. I'm Lars. You might remember me from 1983.
    Erica: And this command center ... it's straight out of "WarGames"!
    Lars: Also from 1983!
    Agent Chris, FBI Chief: Cool, huh?
    Lars: Project Aries has been working tirelessly against the V's. Since 1983!
    Erica: What have you accomplished?
    Lars: Uh ... well, nothing. But we don't have all the screw-ups that Fifth Column does, either!
    Erica: Don't you know the Fifth Column motto? "If you're not failing, you're not trying!"

Marcus: We just nabbed Chad Decker.
    Anna: Later. I'll do my global-bliss-yoga first. ARRRGH! ARRRGH! ARRRGH! NOT WORKING!
    Freaky Amy: Let me show you how it's done, Mommy. Mmmmm ...
    Globe: Ahhh!

Erica: Wha--?! People, snap out of it! Ignore those glittery disco balls in the heavens! ... JACK?! You too?!
    Jack: Ahhh ... so pure ... the purity ... such ... pure ... bulls**t.

FIN DU FIN

• With such a story driven show you can go several ways with a season finale, one of which is to go all out. V did exactly that with Mother's Day and in such fashion that it actually became good.

For a show that I thought was doomed with a lot of bad actors and horrible special effects, this episode proved V knows how to deal with both and turn it into something good. The story was powerful, fast paced, action packed and, dare I say, game changing.
    First of all, I love finales that don't shy away from killing the better part of their cast. In that respect, V outdid itself. The horrible Tyler found his death by mating with an alien who he believed was his girlfriend, only to have his neck ripped out, all of which was filmed and shown to his actual girlfriend as a punishment. The girls mother, Anna, meanwhile killed her own mother publicly to prove she was still in charge. Ryan got killed by his daughter who eventually sacrificed herself to help her other mother Anna hypnotize entire mankind.
    See, that's good television. It's quite ridiculous but once you buy into it, the whole thing feels like a Greek tragedy...with aliens. Every scene provided a twist, a shocking death or a great tease for the new season. All of which led to a mother of a cliffhanger.
  • perfect:)

I` worth all the waiting and I`m so sad it over hope that they are back soon. The return of Donovan was epic, he entered at the right moment, maybe we see sarah ( i think that was here name, but not sure sorry) the star child so amy and sarah have a good fight also lisa and her sister they all a good match :))) My heart braked when Tyler had been killer, now Erika would make vistors killing spree yessssss. Hoggins I think this government took him becuase they said that they have been tracking so Maybe they saw betrayal to erica and the gang. Hope Chad get away maybe the visitor doctor free Chad and Lisa. So will see, I wish next week the start of the new season :))

Please do not let this be the series finale. V has been up and down since it premiered, but it ended its second season by really kicking things into high gear. It felt like Lost with the sudden deaths, the twists and turns and the unpredictable events that kept you on the edge of your seat. They left us stunned with a cliffhanger, and we need to see this resolved.

V may not have been a good show always, as Anna would say, but this was a great episode tonight. Fast-moving, jam-packed of action, exactly what the show needed to be from the beginning to have caught on.
  • The end of season 2, maybe the end of the series

If this episode turns out to be the series finale (I haven't seen any word on whether or not the show has been renewed) it was pretty sucky. But, as a season finale, I guess there's hope for the show.

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD.

Let's talk about Erica's little band of plotters. Hobbs is MIA. Jack is under the influence. Chad is in mortal peril, though as an aside, what right do the Visitor security guards have ordering a human citizen to accompany them aboard their ship? That seemed pretty odd. Lisa is locked away in the dungeon. Diana is dead. Ryan is presumably dead, though he survived the building explosion a few episodes before, so who knows?

Speaking of deaths, let's raise a glass of cheer in remembrance of Tyler. Not since Wesley Crusher infested the USS Enterprise has there been a more annoying tv character. I gave the episode a 2-point rating bonus for his death alone. Thank goodness we're finally rid of him (hopefully).

Now a little about Erica's leadership skills. Let's review the 5th Column activity since she took over. Plant infected humans in the Live Aboard program: Failed. Sabotage the Concordia project: Failed. Kill Anna: Failed. Hopefully with the introduction of Aries, Erica will be relieved of any further leadership responsibilities. So glad to see that her fellow FBI agents weren't V's, but actually humans working with Aries.

One final comment. Last year, ABC renewed this series and axed Flash Forward.
  • What a letdown

4.5
    I was reluctant to watch this show the first season because they were ripping off a miniseries from the 80's that was pretty good. If they had built on that and continued it somehow, it might have been interesting but they decided to start completely new and not even acknowledge what became before it. That was it's first mistake. I remember reading they didn't even want to give Kenneth Johnson, the original creator, credit for his original idea. Then a few showrunners left and they kept trying to find what direction they really wanted to go in. The first season, from what I hear, consisted of a lot of talk and no action. The plot was not moving forward.
    Then I heard they were actually going to bring on original cast member, Jane Badler so I gave season 2 a try. It seemed things were moving a bit faster but the characters were cardboard and the stories were pretty far fetched, even for Science Fiction (Soul stealing?)
    It didn't help that the lead villain was horribly played by Marina Baacarin but it was also a bit mistake to keep original cast member, Jane Badler, trapped in a dungeon for all the episodes. Who's idea was that? A total waste of talent.
    So, then at this point, the ratings are in the seller and they craft a finale that doesn't even tie up anything, they just throw everything at the wall to see if it sticks.
    What do they do? Kill almost all the characters, including Diana, who finally got out of the dungeon, and then have the V's have the upper hand over all mankind in the end.
    A total let down.
    I should have known this would not turn out good when the show runner was at Comic Con and he didn't even know what red dust was from the original miniseries. He obviously didn't do his homework and it shows.
  • Biggest letdown of all.

2.5
    I can't believe what the writers just did. If you watch the episode and don't think about the details at all then you should like the episode. But come on:

1) How could Erica and the team expect Lisa to kill her own mother, especially when she is a manipulative bit**

2) It's completely impossible that nobody noticed Anna coming in when Diana died. All V's were bowing down to Diana so they liked her. So some should have seen Anna coming in and shouted or something. It seems that she just teleported behind Diana.

3) Then Ryan's death. It was just cheap to kill him off like that. Sure his daughter killed him but it doesn't mean that the scene was shocking - it was plain stupid.

4) And than Lisa Nr. 2. Oh come on..... Even the second daughter egg storyline was an easy escape route for the writers but now she hatched and looks exactly like Lisa? A 10year-old could have thought of this. It's just too easy.

5) Killing off Tyler. Well yes he was an annoying character but his death will actually have the biggest impact on other characters like it or not. I really have no idea how Erica and Lisa's characters can develop further when Tyler is gone.

6) Secret organisation underground? Isn't that a little too convenient? Nobody noticed anything ever - it's just too easy again.

All in all the majority of the decisions made in this episode were too easy and cheap. I really wanted this show to be renewed but this ruined everything.
  • Loved it!

This episode was very strong!

Everything has changed and it is all Lisa's fault. She proved to be more human than she could bargain for. Now she is paying the price.

Also at last that dweeb Tyler is out of the picture. I hated him getting in to trouble all the time. Maybe Ericka can focus on what needs to be done now. With the help of the project Ares guys and the 5th column, she will be better equipped to save humanity!

As far as the rest that died or either got something happen to them, well we will just have to wait and see.
  • Mother's Day

Mother's Day was a perfect episode and season two finale of V. I really enjoyed watching this episode because there was a lot of character and plot development as well as awesome surprises and shocking tragedies. This episode had every thing that makes this series great. I think it was awesome how vicious Anna was and how certain characters paid the price of their actions or ignorance. Diana was really spectacular in this episode as was Anna, and Lisa as well. I really enjoyed seeing more of the rapid aged Queen Egg and what happened with that. Ryan's daughter had a few interesting surprises and was kinda creepy, and well played. I think it was cool what Erica was dragged into at the end of the episode and it opens all kinds of awesome possibilities. It was also interesting to see what Anna did and what seems to happen next. I hope and look forward to another season and many more!!!!!!!
  • Best episode so far!

This is exactly what a season finale should be. It changes everything, so you know that next season will be completely different.

It reminded me of the best episodes of LOST. Every minute was really interesting and stressful.

*SPOILERS ALERT*

Lisa scene watching the "new lisa" was priceless.

Scott Wolf as good as always, I hope Chad makes it to episode 2 in season 3.

Tyler and Ryan dying, unexpected and a good twist.

Until this day I always told people that "V" was an "ok" series, now I'll tell them that they have to get to season 2 finale to see how good it gets

Cant wait for season 3!
  • I´m glad tyler died, i hated Ericka worrying about tyler every second!

Best Show and Episode EVER!!!!!!!, I´ll hate ABC if they cancel this show!!!!!!, Every single episode has been very good. I love how they build the story slow to make us know the characters and their story and suddenly BAM! something surprises us!! I really really hope that we get many more seasons for this show. It´s one of the best i´ve watched. by the way: i love ericka and Anna!! I would like to see Lisa´s character becoming more intelligent and rebelious, more like Anna but good instead of evil. I´m glad tyler died, i hated Ericka worrying about tyler every second!
  • bring on season 3

season 1 gud excellent cliff hanger with red sky season 2 we steped up to the plate and showed the visiters we will not go down without a fight :) more daring plans to stop concordia although it failed but it showed agression from the resistance,, actions we as humans wud take in the same situation. I do not understand chaznet if aliens did visit we wud not completly trust them of cause we wud have a back up plan just incase they wernt off peace these bases wud be set up all around the world the golden rule off the cia, mi5,mi6 is to trust no one killing off diana big mistake she was intresting to watch im sure u cud off found a place for her and do not kill chad decker off hes also vital to the show but over all i enjoyed it and cant wait for season 3 you have to advertise V a lot more to get the viewers not anougth advertising get your admin in order abc sort it out
  • Great Hail Mary pass of a season finale to a show more then likely canceled to never see a third season.

I watched the finale and really enjoyed where it left off. They really gave it their all in the last 30 minutes of the episode and ended it leaving the audience wanting to see more but yet satisfying if the show is officially canceled. Really Darren Franich of EW.com summed up the last 30 minutes of the episode as "Death Orgy" and I couldn't agree more. The characters Ryan and Tyler had long defied logic of surviving and their surprise deaths were satisfying to see happen. The death of Diana to begin the last 30 minutes was surprising and Ana's line after finishing her to Lisa was superb.
  • Poorly constructed finale :(

Season 1 didn't perform all that well in the ratings, season 2 was worse. Apparently one good thing for V is that ABC has a number of other shows that aren't performing well in the ratings.

Personally, I didn't like the first 4 episodes of season 1, but starting with episode 5 it became great. The finale of season 1 was one of the best sci-fi cliffhangers episodes I've ever seen. Season 2 became somewhat of a snoozer, found myself zipping through a lot of scenes involving the rebels making plans in the basement. The writers appear desperate, or lazy, when they start killing off characters for dramatic effect and then bring them back to life to continue on.

The finale for season 2 wasn't great -- the special effects were bad and they've manipulated the plot without much cleverness. To suddenly have a secret and huge state-of-the-art government agency far beneath the ground also fighting the aliens is a little too convenient.

I think the network as become too involved in the production of this series, there's no longer a lot of creative talent at the helm of this one, at least we have season 1 though ;) Would be great if they could bring in the writers from 24 -- that type of storytelling would lend itself well to V.

Here's some insight into the plausibility (and detailed ratings info) of a season 3: http://goo.gl/Klm7O
  • Finally a major move for the series. Assuming there is to be a Season 3, there is going to be a refocusing of the story because of the events in this season 2 finale.

First if you feel this episode "screwed over the fans". You're not paying attention. Not to spoil what happens throughout this episode...but major events transpire. These events effect not only the main cast, but definitely the direction of the series, which has been very very slow to develop.

Though there are parts in this episode that seemed forced, as well as seemed done for the sake of a shock factor. That being said. Asking Lisa to kill her mother? The situation with Ryan and his daughter? (Shock) Tyler STILL being all-too-naive, right to the end. Kyle bailing. It seemed they wrapped up multiple threads and arcs just for the sake of doing so. This does lead us in the direction that even the cast and writers feel the series is done and possibly cancelled. Though no word yet from ABC.

The major events that we are left with. The fate and state of Lisa after her betrayal and her mother's "vengeance"...that had to be rough to watch. The fate of Chad after he is found to be involved with 5th Column. The whereabouts of Kyle after the failed attempt on Anna's life. The fate of Jack, and the rest of humanity, after the climax of the show.

Not to mention if what happens to Ryan and Tyler...really happened. Both rough to watch.

The addition of Marc Singer (original V castmember) was a nice surprise. But again, the "cliffhanger" type ending seemed all too convenient. Again probably leaning towards cancellation.

But for what really matters, and what some fans have failed to see. It is very clear the writers have wiped the slate clean for a possible Season 3. This, so far, is a big positive for this series to survive.
  • Seriously?

HORRIBLE! THAT was supposed to be the season finale? I thought for sure it was going for two hours, there was NO way it was going to end like that. Well, I was wrong. I am outraged....I can't believe I watched the entire series only to have it end like it did. The old V show from the 80's was tons better. And there ain't no way the old Diana would've put up with Anna's BS. She would've ripped her in half in two seconds. This "finale" was a disgrace! Thanks a lot for completely screwing over the fans! Nice!!