V

Red Rain

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Jan 04, 2011 on ABC

• Is the damage already done?

I wasn't particularly impressed with the first season of "V", considering that it was a mish-mash of bland concepts and cardboard characters, tossed around through seemingly random plot elements by an ever-revolving Rolodex of showrunners. The end result was a show that didn't seem to have a point, let alone a consistent narrative thread. If anything, I was shocked to find that I still had enough interest to watch the second season, given how haphazard the first season was, between the shifting directions of the story and the bizarre decisions of the network.

The network games haven't stopped; the total number of episodes has already been reduced. But that aside, it really comes down to the consistency of the writing. With a showrunner now firmly in place, one would hope that the story will slide into a direction that makes sense. And along the way, it wouldn't hurt if the characters were made more interesting.

I'm not sure the premiere served either purpose. Red Sky leads to "red rain", which turns out to be a means of preparing the human race for inter-breeding with the Visitors. Fair enough, I suppose, but has there been any indication that breeding among Visitors is at all problematic? Anna was certainly able to breed her thousands of little soldiers, and she was rather casual with the lives of the survivors. I wouldn't think that would be the actions of the leader of a dying people.

The alternative is that breeding with humans must be part of something more than simple survival, which is the only hook that I would find interesting at this point. Because that would, at least, make the Visitor side of the equation more intriguing. I still find the Resistance to be rather boring, so hopefully the next episode will make some headway in that direction.

In the end, the problem wasn't so much this episode, as the need to reconcile all the details up to this point. I'm not sure it all adds up. Then again, with so many other genre shows being lost this season, I suppose I can give "V" and this season's creative team the benefit of the doubt.
  • Red Rain

The first episode of V in nearly eight months and it definitely gave the fans what they were waiting for as there were a number of developments here and we got to see Anna at her deliciously evil best as she stabbed the holy you know what out of a man's face. The final revelation of her "mother" at the end was something to see as well and definitely a good payoff for the viewers who decided to stick with the show.

I do not know if this was the kind of episode that will turn this show back into a hit, but it was good enough for me.
  • Strong comeback

I immediately took to this episode. The first season was, to be honest, a strain for me. I'd be bored until the final ten minutes and then they'd capture my attention again so I needed to watch another week of dullness and then cliffhanger.
    This episode was strong throughout. The Fifth Column is finally taking shape and getting some action in the form of an ancient skeleton and a promising young researcher as an addition. Chet finally knows which side to pick and I love the addition of Anna's own daughter, the future queen. She seemed committed enough this episode.
    Anna pretending Red Sky is something good, is nothing new, but we finally did get some answers on what Red Sky was and how this is connected to what the V's really want. Now that Erica also has access as fake-protector of Anna and the V's, we can finally drop this horrible bla-bla about how to get on the ship, easier access is an absolute must for the second season.

This episode did not give us any real shockers, but it kept the entire storyline interesting and that is a vast improvement from last season. I'm excited to see what will happen next, and what new role Joshua is going to play, and I like this take on Anna's own struggle with emotions.
    Ofcourse, for those of you who hadn't already read that Anna's mom is Diana from the original series, that was probably a plottwist, but even though I knew, I am very interested in seeing this storyline develop.

Conclusively; I loved this episode, a vast improvement on last season and very interesting with many new storylines and the consolidation of the pre-existing ones. See you next week ;)
  • A great return.

This really was a great premire for V, there was more action and chracter interaction in this episode then there was for nearly all of season 1 which hopefully is a sign of great things to come, This eposode mostly focused around the after math of Red sky with people becoming angry at the V's and more and more people protesting agines them which i though was exciting as it showed that v was evoling and that people no longer believed in anna's peace, i also liked Erica's personal story discovering that the v's may have of experiented on her when she was pregnant i also enjoyed lisa's personal dilemma as she begin to see hoe evil her mother really is, but once agian the best part about v and this episode was Anna and she was as evil as ever in this episode killing that v with her lizard tail was super cool i hope we see more of that in weeks to come. However Red rain wasnt all good i felt the end of the episode with anna taking away red sky and telling everyone she did it to save the plant was abit of an anti climax , i just hope that protest agianest the v's continue and the momentum the show has got going dosnt fizzling back down V is improving and lets hope it continues.

P.S Kick ass ending cannot wait until next week !!!!
  • The series climbs up a notch and brings us closer to the grand scheme of things.

What started out as an exposition in the very short season one, culminates in the beginning of this season (apparently the same case this time in length, which brings me to think about production values), where the plot seems to actually move forward with the resistance growing and more alien sightings. I admit that seeing first season's birth of the alien hybrid was kind of downer, since the mini-series of the 80's in that term was spookier. Here you only catch a glympse of a tail (pretty destructive tail, as seen in season two opener).

As news about the red skies began to spread, I expected to see growth in terms of worldwide resistance riots, much like the original miniseries, yet this time it was brief. Hope the remainder of this series will prove worth watching.

And finally, IMO, what will surely make a classic moment in sci-fi history is the final scene with the (re)introduction of Diana. It was just epic, musically and atmospherically.
  • Welcome back Diana...

It's always nice to see a series taking a chance on their return. In this case Jane Badler returns in her role as Diana the original queen from the V series in the 80's. Can't wait to see how she and Anna interact. I did like the opening scene with Erica displaying some guilt for killing the alien offspring and Anna seeking revenge. But now that she knows that the aliens were here previously, Erica is wondering what happened during her pregnancy. And what about Tyler? Has he been bred to assist with alien and human reproduction? It was pretty cool seeing Anna dark side during the confrontation with one of her Captains. Also did I mention that Lisa (Laura Vandervoort) looked great!!
  • 8 Months later and this is what we get.

Like everyone waiting in anticipation to see the return of V, I was excited last night because 8 months of not having my favorite show on air killed me. The only parts that I enjoyed the most were the scenes with Anna. she elevated her game while the other characters fell flat in my opinion. Anna rearranged one of her Captain's face to prove a point, played the humans again, pimped out her daughter and then had a tender moment with one of the survivors from the bombing that caused her outburst of emotion. Morena should be very proud of her-self; this episode she really carried the load on this one. Unfortunately I cannot say the same for the the resistance. They seemed all over the place. Ryan went from sad to ready to fight at the flip of a switch, and I could not be drawn in with their story line. However, Sid was a welcome of comic relief for the show and I hope he is able to stick around a bit. The scenes with Chad Decker almost put me to sleep I was so bored by it. But it is good to know that Jack is much more likable this season. He picked up his character this season as well. Lisa hates her mother, and does a good job hiding it from her for the most part. But she nearly throws all of that away when she goes to speak to Joshua. He has changed significantly since the last time we saw him. I will leave it at that. Overall the dialog was flat and everybody fell back into what they were doing at the end of last season the resistance running around trying to find people, and Anna being ambiguous about her plans. I did notice that the CGI tightened up a bit, and I cannot say enough how surprised I was by Morena's performance. As a parting gift for next week, the closing scenes were Anna crying for killing her last reaming soldiers/children and her going into this deep dark creepy place in the bottom of the ship.Then (the worst kept secret) Jane Badler appears and the last words is Anna saying "Hello Mother." V finished with 6.5 million, and a 2.1 demo enough to win ABC that night but finished 3rd overall. I love V I really do It has so much potential that it isn't even funny, but I feel like this is going to be its last season because it just cannot get the ratings and the story is too unbelievable at times.
    it gets a 9 from me as a nod to Morena's performance, and my love for the show. other wise overall an 8/10
  • Questions,Answers, More Questions, New Fifth Columnists and DIANA.

Not surprisingly the main focal point of the episode was the Red Sky that Anna unleashed at the end of Season 1, What was its purpose and why weren't the V's talking to humans anymore? We got answers from Anna and from the latest member of The Fifth Column who discerned the Red Sky's true purpose was to make it possible for V's to have offspring with humans, This revelation led Erica to remember something from the time she was pregnant with Tyler that makes it seem at least that Tyler is part V which was alluded to during the pre-season publicity and I'm looking forward to seeing how that unfolds over the next 9 weeks. The introduction of Dr Sidney Miller portrayed by Bret Harrison was a rather refreshing and long overdue addition, Since the start the 1 person The Fifth Column didn't have working with them was a modern version of Dr. Julie Bishop because let's face it if they're going to have any chance of killing some aliens to the point of defeating them they will need some scientific help. Dr Miller seems to be the perfect addition to the team and I hope he sticks around, On that note I love the Column's new recruitment policy – Join Us or We Kill You…Maybe!! We also got answers about the fate of Joshua who was revived after being killed in the Season 1 finale, I'm assuming I wasn't the only one who wondered why he was back – Was Marcus really 5th Column and helping his leader or was he acting on Anna's orders and if so did they know he was a Columnist? Marcus didn't revive him to be nice but apparently they won't get answers from him either and it'll be interesting to see how the Fifth Column adapts to waging a war without his inside information to rely on.
    Lisa seems destined for a bigger role this season in the space of two or three scenes she went from confused yet rebellious Fifth Column member to being an active member of the group stealing Intel and passing it on to Erica then to being a simple prostitute at the behest of her own mother (I don't know what is creepier the fact that Anna ordered her to have sex with Tyler or that she watched the whole thing on CCTV). Overall I was impressed with Laura's acting in this episode more so than all last season and it should be good to watch how far she is willing to go for both her mother and The Fifth Column.
    Chad Decker finally seems to have come around to the right way of thinking and his character too seems destined for bigger things this season as he attempts to balance being a Fifth Column member with being Anna's loyal obedient stooge, His discussions with Father Jack seemed to indicate he was a changed man seeking redemption I guess only time will tell if he is sincere or not. I was surprised to see Jack still wearing his priest outfit this season, I had been under the impression that he'd been sacked after his impassioned anti-V speech that ended with the legendary "Let V stand for Victory" statement. Should be interesting to see how far he too is willing to go while staying true to his religious background and career.
    One other thing that was answered was the issue of Ryan and Val's hybrid baby, From what I seen it didn't look to hybrid to me it looked pretty lizard but maybe that will change, I couldn't figure out why Anna would let him off the ship knowing that he is a vital member of The Fifth Column however her statement to Marcus did make sense, She can't beat them on her own so why not use a Trojan horse, Presumably she'll try to have him turn on them in exchange for his daughter but hopefully he doesn't fall for it because Anna doesn't strike me as the type who'd hold up her end of the bargain though thankfully there is Hobbes who will no doubt be keeping a very close eye on him but then again with his own secret connection to Marcus can he really be trusted?
    Perhaps the only disappointing part of the episode was Diana or the lack thereof like many I'd anxiously awaited her return to V and was looking forward to seeing her do more than step out of a cocoon though on the plus side at least her dress\robe thing was closer to the original orange colour we all know and love, Next week seems to be a Diana-centric episode so I'm really looking forward to that. Having said that though it was great to see Jane Badler again and I hope Diana has some plans brewing for revenge that we'll get to see unfold. Would liked to have seen more of Joshua and I hope his amnesia is faked or temporary so he can get back to helping the Column.
    The writing and acting all around this week seems to be indicative of a show wide overhaul that will lead to more exciting storylines and a longer lasting show and now that the Fifth Column is getting more aggressive in its recruiting it'll hopefully get more aggressive in its actions forcing the inevitable war which can only mean good things for us viewers.

Welcome back to the screen V and heres hoping you live a long thrilling life.
  • Red Rain

Red Rain was a superb and awesome episode of V. I really enjoyed watching this episode as we got to see more of Anna's true nature as she stood before the captains of the 29 ships. I thought it was finally about time we were shown what the visitors look like, though it wasn't a full revelation, which is some thing I look forward to. I think this episode definitely kick starts the second season off to a great start. This episode gives viewers what they want, but not quite enough, we want more!!! I really enjoyed the ending as Anna meets with some one on a strange looking part of the ship. I can't wait to see more!!!!!!!
  • Great Return, surprise ending that leaves GREAT anticipation

Through mid season 1, I kinda lost interest in the show. But it peaked my interest again at the end and I got myself caught up by watching episodes online. So I anxiously waited for season two to start. Finally we are here and there appears to be a lot to look forward to. I was not prepared for what happened at the end. But the second I saw those red heels come out, the hair and her come out of whatever that was, I instantly recognized Jane Badler, who looks like she's had some work done. But it left one question. Will Marc Singer be coming back as well? And after some searching online, sure enough, he will be playing Lars Tremont who is some member of a top secret group comprised of high ranking military & government people, prepared for a Visitor attack. This season has my full attention and I am anxiously awaiting the rest of it. It basically replaces 24 on my list. :)
  • Very good comeback.

Very dark in a good way. Welcome back Diana, your daughter is very hot.This cast is dynamite. This episode gets to why the Vistors are even here. This is a very good t.v show with good actors and actress, and good story line,good special effects. I like how the show is much much more darker than the original one.If you didn't invest your time watching this show do so now.

My thoughts on S2E1-
    Tyler is a V
    V's have an ugly skeleton
    Why are humans open to the V
    Why is Diana in a cocoon
    Why did Tyler face melt
    I thought a mom looking at her daughter having sex is weird