V

Red Rain

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Jan 04, 2011 on ABC

• Is the damage already done?

I wasn't particularly impressed with the first season of "V", considering that it was a mish-mash of bland concepts and cardboard characters, tossed around through seemingly random plot elements by an ever-revolving Rolodex of showrunners. The end result was a show that didn't seem to have a point, let alone a consistent narrative thread. If anything, I was shocked to find that I still had enough interest to watch the second season, given how haphazard the first season was, between the shifting directions of the story and the bizarre decisions of the network.

The network games haven't stopped; the total number of episodes has already been reduced. But that aside, it really comes down to the consistency of the writing. With a showrunner now firmly in place, one would hope that the story will slide into a direction that makes sense. And along the way, it wouldn't hurt if the characters were made more interesting.

I'm not sure the premiere served either purpose. Red Sky leads to "red rain", which turns out to be a means of preparing the human race for inter-breeding with the Visitors. Fair enough, I suppose, but has there been any indication that breeding among Visitors is at all problematic? Anna was certainly able to breed her thousands of little soldiers, and she was rather casual with the lives of the survivors. I wouldn't think that would be the actions of the leader of a dying people.

The alternative is that breeding with humans must be part of something more than simple survival, which is the only hook that I would find interesting at this point. Because that would, at least, make the Visitor side of the equation more intriguing. I still find the Resistance to be rather boring, so hopefully the next episode will make some headway in that direction.

In the end, the problem wasn't so much this episode, as the need to reconcile all the details up to this point. I'm not sure it all adds up. Then again, with so many other genre shows being lost this season, I suppose I can give "V" and this season's creative team the benefit of the doubt.