V

Serpent's Tooth

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Jan 11, 2011 on ABC

7.9
  • This episode provided a lot of clues to the nature of Anna's secret plan to enslave the humans.

The script was not all that bad... There were no ridiculously obvious cliches (there were some, obviously.) Combined with excellent acting abilities of the crew, this makes up for a good episode in the series. I do not know what else to say..

This is an exercise in futility... I'm trying to beef up the post with random nonsensical words. I hope this is enough before this post is rejected...

"OOPS, you review must be at least 100 words long." This limit is kind of ridiculous.

Now I should be fine...
  • The 'soul' sets humans apart? Are you kidding me?

The way shows like this which have a global scale yet conveniently collapse to the necessary location and characters is silly: like last episode where there's one scientist who knows what's happening with the rain - and he's conveniently in new york. or the fact that our fbi agent/resistance fighter also happens to be one of the people experimented on is head-smackingly contrived. but the whole 'soul' thing that our good V is concerned he has and that the bad V's are now going to (in vain, no doubt) search for with their science seems like outright pandering to the bible crowd. can we have a sci-fi show in the 21st century that doesn't need to bow towards religion enough to ensure they don't alienate the supernaturalist subset of our population?
  • Once again V manages to disappoint

The speed seems to have been a one time thing; this episode dragged on and on. Every time V adresses the resistance, it falls short. Except for Ryan's performance, which is very well done and a very believable struggle between absolutely knowing what's right and yet being forced to take blackmail and abuse in seeing his child in danger and seeing her suffer.
    I like the implications of Erica's double role; heading the taskforce against the Fifth Column and being a vital part of the Fifth Column. Unfortunately, there is no real Fifth Column, and no real resistance. There are just a handful of people (and apparantly from this episode, some more random groups) endlessly - and I mean endlessly - debating the downsides of war.
    Ofcourse Erica is right that they cannot win a direct war with the V's. When Father Jack has moral objections against killing humans in order to save humans, I can agree. But Erica? It doesn't fit her personality for one, and secondly, it really deadlocks the plot. There is so much wrong with the resistance that they really need to clean the entire thing up. Less talk, more action. As far as I see it now, only the final episode of season 1 and the first of season 2 were worth watching when it's about moving on with the storyline. We're now back in the same slow pace that doesn't get anything done.

Normally we could count on Anna and Lisa to make things interesting on the V side. Not this episode. Ofcourse no one would get betrayed - we're too early in the show. Especially not Lisa, so there was no suspense. It was also illogical: why did they wipe Joshua's brain before interrogation? That just seems like the dumbest thing in the world to me. Anna's emotionality no longer has an edge, which makes me loose interest. I like it better when because of her emotions, she gets harder and tougher. I like that woman mean as can be - the kind of mean that makes her mutilate her own child.
    Diana's role is very anticlimactic. She stays downstairs, she throws around some wisdom about emotions and souls. No final words can compete with that.

Once again, what did it for me, was Joshua. He is the only reason I continue to watch this show. Whether he is Fifth Column or brainwashed, he intrigues me. Lisa does as well, and we saw far too little of her. If this show knows what's best for it's future, it focuses less on the resistance - since we all know their chances are next to none on their own - and more on destruction from the inside out. The focus should lay with Lisa, being helped by the resistance, instead of the other way around. This episode fell horribly short. It didn't entertain, it wasn't suspenseful, and it was way too much talking once again. See you next week.
  • wow...this was so bad episodde

wow...this was so bad episodde...like watching catolic program....soul... no soul.... in my heart bla bla ...really make me a hedache. if is going this way , i think many people will say: its going down...this was such a good idea for TV show and u ruin it in one episode. bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad
  • Serpent's Tooth

Serpent's Tooth was a really good episode of V. I enjoyed watching this episode because Anna continues her plan to control Ryan by putting human skin on his daughter. I also found Anna's quest to find out how to destroy the soul and all human emotion was interesting. It was really cool to see Anna confront Diana after so long. Diana really knew how to push Anna's buttons too. This episode had a few suspensful scenes as Joshua was put into a memory machine, Agent Malik blows her own cover, and Erica has to fight for her life. This episode didn't give us a lot of what viewers want, but I thought it was done well. I look forward to the next episode!!!!!!!
  • Dispointing!!

After the last weeks great premire i truly thought V had found it feet but after this epiosde om not so sure.

Serpents tooth was just abit boring and it reminded me of the first few epsiodes of season 1 it was slow and very little actually happend, Erica's story was just boring finding out Malik was a V wasnt very interesting, even anna coudent save the show this week sure she is more evil then ever before but it just dosnt feel exciting in this epsiode plus her confrontation with her mother which was last weeks big cliffhanger just fell flat and boring. i fear V has took a step backwards, next week needs to be better

So now Anna has the ability to just beam a hologram of herself to anywhere in the world? Great....

This was a decent enough episode of V, although many of my fellow TV.com users do not echo that sentiment. I thought the drama was a little low, and the scenes that did have action in them were a little too predictable. When will people learn that when you hold a gun to the head of the driver of a car they are going to swerve to try and throw off your balance?

V might be on its last legs right now, but tonight's episode really was not that bad.
  • Missing something in its DNA...

This episode builds on what was introduced in the second season premiere, and does its level-best to course-correct the series into something a bit more interesting. However, the same problems continue to persist: despite the new layers to the conflict, much of the depth from the original production is missing.

The motivations of the Visitors are fleshed out even more (no pub intended), but it's still not clear. Anna is apparently now infertile (despite having spawned thousands of soldier babies last season), making it Lisa's responsibility to take on the mantle as Queen of her people. The invasion of Earth has been, it seems, a last-ditch attempt to interbreed and resolve the lack of population growth.

This is all well and good, but the logic is still missing. If experiments had been needed for generations to alter humans like Tyler enough to make them genetically compatible with the Visitors, then the plot would make sense. But Ryan's ability to mate with his human wife makes Anna's infertility and Lisa's importance rather moot. In fact, it bolsters the argument that the Visitors would have been far better served to continue looking human and ridiculously attractive, and mate with humans in secrecy.

What the writers appear to be grasping for, at least as suggested by this episode, is the key component of love and human emotion to the mating process (not unlike "Battlestar Galactica"). In other words, that what the Visitors lack, what prevents them from success, is the one thing they prize in terms of species identity: their supposed lack of emotion. The meditations on the soul in this episode point in that direction, which is at least vaguely interesting, and ties neatly into Father Landry's crisis of faith.

This episode also tackles another major issue with the construction of the series: the fact that the Resistance we've seen has not been remotely credible. The only reason they've been at all successful has been their alliance with the existing Fifth Column, which has done most of the heavy lifting. Without them, it makes sense for the writers to introduce a wider human Resistance, and open up the story to questions regarding the appropriate tactics. This was touched on in the first season, but not nearly enough to make it interesting.

Other than abandoning the silly CGI and other conceits that make it hard to swallow the notion that the Visitors could look at all human, what is missing from this version of "V" is the layer that worked so well in the original: the role of human collaboration. The Visitors and their collaborators actively hunted down any scientists or other threats to the Visitor agenda in the original, and the sense of peril was much more potent as a result. It wasn't just the invaders oppressing the general masses; it was humans themselves.

Adding that layer would give much more scope to the human drama, which has been lacking since the beginning. Earlier attempts to portray that side of the equation fell flat, largely because they were focused around Chad Decker, who is one of the least effective characters on the show. Resolving that issue could give the series the kind of layering that it desperately needs to pull it out of mediocrity.