V

Unholy Alliance

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Feb 01, 2011 on ABC

7.9
  • Still missing the human factor

With all the discussion lately on the nature of the human soul and its impact on Anna's plan for the Visitors' future survival, I suppose it's not too shocking that Anna would want to maneuver one of the world's major religions into an alliance. As a Catholic myself, I was a bit wary of how they might handle things, but I think it was nicely done. Having a Visitor essentially convert to the faith, and then sacrifice himself in testimony to the human soul, was a powerful moment.

It also appears to validate the speculation by some that Anna usurped power from her mother, and her draconian methods (no pun intended!) are a reflection of her need to keep any threats to her primacy in line. It also explains her push to have Lisa advance as the next Queen, with her as the power behind the throne, so to speak. It's not just a matter of biology and breeding, but a means of controlling her people.

It's nice to see them follow through with the troubles of Father Landry, and by the end, there's now trouble for Erica. I've said before that this segment of the Resistance is not at all credible as a threat, having only gotten lucky in the past, and now the writers seem to be acknowledging that their activities would be detected sooner rather than later.

One would hope that this, and the evolving transformation of Tyler's personality, might kickstart the humans into being more intriguing. Because even as we approach the midpoint of this season, the Visitors are still vastly more interesting than the humans. All of the real drama lies within the Visitor intrigues and the debate over whether or not the soul is the salvation or damnation of their people.

I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record on this point, but it remains the biggest problem with the show: the point of having the main human characters is to put a face on the human side of the equation. Instead, we have a few isolated individuals who really don't represent the full spectrum of the human experience during this "invasion". As such, we don't have the depth necessary to make the "invasion" seem like a true threat.