V: The Series (1984) Forums

NBC (ended 1985)

Any news on V: The Second Generation?

Missybea

[1]Nov 24, 2006
    • level: 47

Hi all! The buzz for an eon now is that there is to be a folllow up to the original mini-series in the making. Not including IMDB as a reference, (as it is often wrong!) has anyone got any concrete information about who is to be in it (characters and actors) and when they will begin filming?

Cheers

Missy

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

adam8it2

[2]Dec 16, 2006
    • level: 9
    Lots of buzz on various web sites if you search for it....hopefully it's true.

siftybastard

[3]Mar 21, 2007
    • level: 19
    so, has anyone heard anymore news yet?  or is this one of those sotries that will just keep going on and on, like the rumours about blake's 7, and tripping the rift?

tifer1974

[4]Apr 4, 2007
         I've said this once and I will say it again... This show needs to be redone.... Not a Next Generation kind of thing... But from the start... I dont care if its a TV show or a Movie Franchise... But it needs to be done for a whole new geration of watchers....

Th3L05T

[5]May 1, 2007
    • level: 7
    You can't do a next generation thing but a re-imagining of the original would be very cool.

marvelfan89

[6]May 25, 2007
    • level: 39
    A remake would be not only terrible but an insult to the classic. IMDB lists the series as "in production" which is great news Kenneth Johnson has a website about it but all it says is that he is still working with the WB on it.
    Edited on 05/25/2007 1:03am

Jezzen

[7]May 25, 2007
    • level: 10
    Well, it was only a matter of time before people wanted to make more money off this show. Mixed emotions. I think I would prefer them to digitally remaster the original than to do a remake of it.

Sadik2k7

[8]Jun 29, 2007
    I would be for a remake, the new Battlestar Galactica is doing well no?

martymart140

[9]Jul 2, 2007
    • level: 1

If they remake V what will happen to the original cast? i read they might be intrested in asequel but i can't see them doing

the original all over again.

Edited on 07/02/2007 9:09am

siftybastard

[10]Jul 4, 2007
    Why use battlestar galactica as an example? if they do to V what they did to BG, then we'll all be watching a dragged out soap opera version of the original, that is more concerned with ratings than the story. Too many shows take this path, and V is far too good for a "remake" slaughtering. Sure, use the idea to make a similar show, but don't call it a remake. the BG is in no real way a remake of the original. let's keep V as it is!

charley28

[11]Aug 17, 2007
    • level: 66
    If you go to Kenneth Johnson's website, he has wrote V - The Second Generation novel which is currently in development as a new mini-series with Warner Bros. The book will be released in hardcover on October 2, 2007. The story picks up 20 years after the original arrival of the alien Visitors.

I know from talking with Kenny & Marc Singer about V - The Second Generation at the Bionicon 1, that they are attempting to get the original cast back together. Which would just be awesome. He did read excepts from the novel @ Bioicon 2 last month. So what was read was just a teaser and you know that it's going to be great.

sylent_asassin

[12]Dec 20, 2007
    • level: 26
    martymart140 wrote:

If they remake V what will happen to the original cast? i read they might be intrested in asequel but i can't see them doing

the original all over again.

I recently read into this and it appears it may happen. Regarding the old crew, the only people from the main show that weren't killed off were Ham Tyler (Ironside), Mike Donovan (Singer) and Julie (Faye Grant). It would be kind of difficult to pick up after the final episode so a remake of sorts would make more sense. Besides, aren't the aforementioned actors kind of old to be playing the same characters? I mean the running around, getting beaten up and lazer blasted. As much as I like Ironside, I'd prefer to see a new cast with new storylines. Maybe they could play other roles as a homage to the original series like what Smallville does.

travessevier

[13]Dec 24, 2007
    I have not heard anything new on the possibility of a new mini series, but the usual "currently in development"

I have read that KJ is doing a book signig in Feb. and March, so it does sound as if the book is finally getting released.

If KJ's plan works and the novel matches sales with the original novel than NBC may see the potential ratings in getting this novel to production.

visit my site
    www.sirianvisitors.com

or
    http://kennethjohnson.us/V-Orig.html

click v collectibles

asrealasitgets

[14]Dec 29, 2007
    • level: 7
    Man I hope they do make another show but with more half alien half human characters. I really think they need to make it like the original but with new characters maybe with Sean or Nathan with some of the original cast as guest stars.

rslade70

[15]Apr 17, 2008
    • level: 8
    siftybastard wrote:
    Why use battlestar galactica as an example? if they do to V what they did to BG, then we'll all be watching a dragged out soap opera version of the original, that is more concerned with ratings than the story. Too many shows take this path, and V is far too good for a "remake" slaughtering. Sure, use the idea to make a similar show, but don't call it a remake. the BG is in no real way a remake of the original. let's keep V as it is!

I think using BSG is a great example. After all, it has been called the best show on television. I myself was a enormous V fan. Not only did I have every episode & mini series on VHS taped from the TV (back in the day), I seriously belonged to the V fan club (no joke). I was about 15. Had a costume, rank & everything (gotta laugh now). I actually still have a huge folder of all the paperwork from the fan club (from the symbol translator, scripts, photos, just strange but cool stuff). Hey, they remade Superman, Battlestar, and now they are remaking Star Trek movie with Kirk. With better special effects, it would be fun to see.

siftybastard

[16]May 13, 2008
    Yeah, but if the screw it over like they did to BSG, it will be come some kind of crappy soap opera that is focused more on interpersonal relations than on the over all story. V lends itself more to this kind of remake than BSG ever did. the aliens are already people of sorts, and we don't need new ideas like "skin jobs".

The more i think about it, the more BSG has ripped off V.

my1sunshine

[17]May 20, 2008
    • level: 12

siftybastard wrote:
    Yeah, but if the screw it over like they did to BSG, it will be come some kind of crappy soap opera that is focused more on interpersonal relations than on the over all story. V lends itself more to this kind of remake than BSG ever did. the aliens are already people of sorts, and we don't need new ideas like "skin jobs". The more i think about it, the more BSG has ripped off V.

First of all, I don't understand your point, being that the V saga has always been a continuing story arc...like a soap opera, if you want to use that term. The first two mini-series were always about the main characters. The moment it weered from that in the weekly series, it went downhill, and screwed itself over. The best Sci-Fi, has always been about people first, Tech and alien culture last (I.E: The Star trek franchise.) Battlestar Galactica (2003) is currently the finest example of what sci-fi can be, and a way to endure it to all audiences, not just the sci-Fi crowd. I don't understand why any series that has a continuing story arc is classified as soap- opera. Don't most shows use this arc formula now? Why is it acceptable on those shows, but not BSG? And if BSG is such a rip off, why is everybody calling it the most original show on televison? Anyway, it's a moot point. V: the Second Generation is Kenneth Johnson's book. It has been made clear that he will have the reigns on any filming of it. And since he is the creater of the original saga in the first place, I don't think we need to worry about it being "screwed over" .

BurnEggroll

[19]Nov 9, 2008
    • level: 2
    The book is now in print. The movie has been canceled. A remake of the original series is in the works.
    13 October 2008 12:10 AM, PDT | From wenn.com Cult 1980s sci-fi show V has been picked up by American network ABC, who will finance the project, and will reportedly hit screens in the U.S. as early as next year.

Sci-fi screenwriter Scott Peters will pen and executive produce the new spin on the original series.

katemul

[20]Dec 14, 2008
    loved v, read the second generation book didn't think it was great. hope they do make a new v, be interesting to see what they do. very few original characters in the book. k johnson picked up 20 years after the 1st installment of v meaning the last battle and tv series never happened.