V: The Series (1984)

NBC (ended 1985)

V: The Series (1984) Fan Reviews (29)

• They should've finished V the series.

I feel like they should've finished off V with a 20th episode. For some reason I have the feeling there's a Lost V episode out there somewhere, I don't why. But if it's out there, it should be brought to light.
  • V- A series a series that had potential; but unlike the movies fell short.

I was just a pre-teen when the movies came out; and thought V/V The Final Battle were the best T.V. movies ever. I still believe they are into the 21st century. When the series came out I thought WOW a kick ass T.V. show; but I was a little disappointed. First of all some of the cast from the movies left all to quick, i.e Robert Maxwell (Michael Durrell) among others which kinda sucked. I was disappointed with the visitor's voices, what the hell happened to their unique and cool voices? I thought some of the episodes were better than others and some they should have not even bothered. Yes I guess I am giving this a higher than usual rating but it wasn't that awful, considering Marc Singer, Jane Bader, and Frank Ashmore were a plus. I just wish the series could have been more like both the movies; excellent plot & an excellent cast. I do believe the newer series learned from the original one, but it to was doomed, which shocked me especially when I thought the 2nd season was the best bringing back some of the original cast from the 1st series, I thought sure V would have gotten a 3rd season. It's too bad V-The series 1984-1985 got cut short; it had so much potential if more time and effort were given to it instead of slapping something together and calling it an episode.
  • The original series that attempted to capitalize on the success of the mini-series.

What made me originally fall in love with the series, V? Two words: Kyle Bates. When Kyle made his first appearance (or was it when he first took off his shirt?), I was hooked. And don't get me wrong. I already loved Mike and Julie and Ham and the rest of the gang. But Kyle was Hot with a capital H. And better yet, he had a powerful and seemingly amoral father from whom he was rebelliously estranged. The older Bates was even more compelling--was he really as bad as he seemed?--and the constant tension between the two was what kept me watching.

Kyle and Robin? Boring.

Kyle and Elizabeth? Boring.

Kyle and his dad? Riveting!

Listen, I was an absolute V fanatic. For a few short months my life revolved around this show. I even had my hair styled like Diana, that whacky, messy way she wore it during the series.

So I guess that's why it's so hard to admit what a mediocre mess the series was. The concept was great, utilizing all the original stuff but adding some new wrinkles. The 'open city' thing was fun and allowed for a lot of great plot twists. But those seemingly wore out pretty fast. When the producers started trying to correct mid-season and pump up the ratings, things actually got much worse. Every week it was a kill-em-off festival for original characters, as they exited stage left. Getting rid of Ham was an especially big boner. And then the guest stars got more and more over the top.

The whole Charles thing? Ridiculous! What in the world were they really supposed to do on that big rock once Charles and Diana got married? It's my opinion that this role is what destroyed Duncan Regehr's career.

What about the other actors? They did the best they could with what they had. Lane Smith was superior as Nathan Bates, and Jeff Yagher held his own, even though his pecs and pretty eyes were probably more notable. Marc Singer hung in there as the gun-toting Beastmaster of the resistance, but Julie--the character who made the most notable metamorphosis in the original mini-series--floundered.

And why did Elizabeth have to wear those awful dresses?

The day Nathan Bates was shot was one that will live in infamy at my house--right up there with the assassination of Rudy Jordache in the 'Rich Man, Poor Man' series. My sister and I were inconsolable. The good news? This plot twist revealed Bates' true nature and allowed Kyle and Nathan to finally come together as father and son. Regardless of what happened after (don't try to tell me Kyle *really* stowed away on Elizabeth's ship!), this was the series payoff.

At least for me.
  • A Tv series that butchered the original mini-series.

I've noticed many of the good reviews for this show on the site are counting the original mimi-series as part of their rating. However this is the series that ran only one year which was made after the mini-series. If I were to be reating the mini-series, it would be a 10, but this review is simply for the series.

Really, after The Final Bettle, there was no point in making this at all, the story was over. But this series did start off pretty well and gave me my V fix as a kid, but this show really fell apart because there was simply nothing they could do storywise. Each week was someone getting kidnapped or some new visitor weapon they had to destroy.

The writing for this series was so poor and the amount of plot holes was unforgivable. (Early in the series it was made clear that Mr bates could not be killed or the red dust would be released, and then only about 10 episodes later, they forget that HUGE part of the story and kill him anyway with no problem.) The story and the show were so bad that most of the cast left befroe the 18 episodes were finsihed, leaving the show with a skeleton cast and the show just became horrible.

Don't get me wrong, I think this show was enjoyable, (until half the cast left, that's where it got awful) but it was nothing compared to the mini-series and it's horrible writing and plot holes make it hard to enjoy or follow.
  • a alien race comes to earth in search of peace. what secert are they hiding.

we have just got V on the scifi channel and its showing every episode. i forgot how much this show is so good. we see the arrival of a alien race to earth. at first the seem friendly. but later on there becomes a dark side to them. what are they hiding. but not all of them are evil. we see some of the vistors who want to side with the humans. my favourite vistor is robert england charcter.( best know for playing freddy kruger). its a battle between the humans and the vistors. who will come out the winner. this is a great show that brings back a lot of memorys. its just great to be able to watch it again from the start.
  • Timing killed the weekly series Ratings: V - 1st miniseries - 10 V: The Final Battle miniseries - 9.5 (ending was bad) V - Weekly series - 6 Overall it was a 9.

The original plan was the make a series based on the original mini-series but instead they made V: The Final Battle instead; which, while excellent (except for the dumb glowing girl endinng) pretty much doomed the weekly series. Now if they had done it right, the Visitors would have won at the end of the Final Battle and the resistance would have something to do while they were waiting for the Visitors enemies (that they contacted at the end of the first miniseries) to show up with real firepower. The silliness regarding the red dust only being effective in colder areas of the world was too much to swallow. Even if this was logical, the Visitors could have kept on blasting away at humans from their spaceships. Orbital bombardment would have reduced the surface to ashes in areas where ground troops could not go. And certainly within time they could develop an antidote or acquired it using human spies that were reprogrammed using their interrogation techniques.

Once the Visitors were exposed to the world it took all the mystery and suspense out of the franchise.

While it aired I did watch it and some of the episodes were decent, but I really didnt care when they cancelled it.
  • The series that followed 2 successful mini-series... had potential but fell a bit short, yet sets up an idea for scifi series to come.

As it began reaching its peak with a plethora of successful television shows, leading to its dethroning of ABC as the #1 network, NBC, with much fanfare and clever marketing (including thousands of billboards nationwide, with a simple black background and spray-painted V and nothing more to indicate what that meant or what it referred to), decided to get in on the science fiction bandwagon and release a science fiction miniseries called "V". It quickly became one of most anticipated miniseries of the time and was the highest rated show for NBC that year. The premise was simple - humans on Earth receive a mysterious message and finally make hesitant first contact with an alien species who arrive in massive ships. But before that moment, the debate is on regarding whether they would be hostile or peaceful. And upon arrival day, they find the aliens look "human" and claim to come in peace. These new "Visitors" as they called themselves, slowly infiltrate and blend in with the human population. And with a clever use of propaganda that mimics WWII era facist propaganda, they win over key supporters among the youth and politicians, and soon reveal their true identities and intentions - a reptillian species who want to harvest humans for food, and they take over the world governments to do so. Followed closely by battle-hardened photographer Mike Donovan, he eventually becomes the pivotal leader of a human resistence movement against the self-named "Visitors". And their efforts continue in a sequel miniseries, and finally spill over into this short-lived weekly series.

Although the show brought back several of the original cast of the miniseries including Marc Singer, Jane Badler, Robert Englund, and Frank Ashmore, the political aspects were slowly lost and there didn't seem to be a good direction to go with the series, as some of the original writers left.

All in all, it wasn't a bad show and could have delved a bit more into the current political reality of the time, but like other series based off of films or miniseries like Planet of the Apes and Logan's Run, it finally ended after a season. It did live on as one of many sci-fi references parodied in the amazingly popular and successful science fiction film Independence Day.
  • I love this tv show

I love this tv show, I have just finished watching the V movies and I love them, I could barely remember them when i was little, but I did remember bits and pieces, I abosolutely love this show , wish they would bring it back with new episodes, which would be updated of course with newer technology.
  • An inexplicable quandry: why do I love this show so much?

Do you know what? I loved this show. The mini series has to go down as one of the all time greats on television. And I am usually not a fan of the sci-fi genre. Aliens coming to earth to rape the planet and steal the water supply is perhaps not the most original premise, however it has that kitsch factor that separates it from the other alien invasion programmes.

One of the elements that I particularly enjoyed was the central characters; until the weekly series any way. Having a relatively vulnerable female, brilliantly played by Faye Grant, lead the resistance and form a rebel force was something a bit different back in the day. Yes, there are your stereotypical heroic blokes in the form of Mike, played by Marc Singer, and Ham played by Michael Ironside, but it takes a while for them to take over and command centre stage. By the time they do, you’ve got to know them below the brash exterior well enough to put up with, and even enjoy watching, their testosterone filled fights. Meanwhile, from outer space you have the outlandish Jane Badler as Diana. She could go head to head with all the classic television tough cookies any day. She would literally eat them alive. And who could forget Robert Englund’s portrayal of language challenged Willie? The ensemble cast that developed over the weeks meant that there was always someone in each episode that you were actually interested in, be it the Bernsteins, Maxwells, resistance fighters of visitors.

The plot of the original mini series was superb. It charts the development of the fledgling resistance in their seemingly endless battle against the visitors and their planned exploitation of the earth and the human race. Some of the many truly classic moments to watch out for include; Mike observing Diana snacking on a guinea pig, Juliet ripping off Charles’ face live on television and Robin giving birth. And let us not forget Ruby’s demise.

Things drastically went down hill when they decided to make weekly, hour-long episodes. It ended up being a pastiche of itself, and that was a shame. Characters no longer seemed to be the ones we had known and loved in the mini-series: what happened to Mike and Julie’s relationship? Why does Mike give up looking for Sean? Why do so many of them have to die? What happened to the visitors’ vibrating voices? These are questions that will never be answered. It’s a tad annoying that they had to destroy something that started out so well. However, I confess that I have recently re-watched the weekly series and it’s not quite as bad as I remember it, I even quite enjoyed it. Yes it was obviously made on the cheap, probably on a budget of £1.50, but there are a couple of redeeming episodes.

Quite why I love the show so much, when it all went so terribly bad, I have no idea. But, love it I do. I guess that too will remain one of those unanswered questions.
  • What more could you ask for...Aliens taking over Earth disguised as Humans! A real treat.

I have always been a V fan. For me, this show never gets old. The mini series is the best of all the series. The weekly show was not as exciting (in fact some what corny), but still great. There was nothing like seeing the jaws of the Visitors dislocate. As for the first season (series), it has everything I look for in a TV show or movie. It had suspense, action, scifi, action, romance, and aliens. If you like B movies and crave that alien takeover with a great ending, this would be the show for you. You will find yourself cheering in the end...corny..but still wonderful.
  • This is my "Star Trek". This is the show that got me into anything Sci-Fi.

I understand why fans of Star Trek are the way they are because it's not just the show itself but the overall impact a show can have on how you watch TV/movies. V is the show that changed my sci-fi prospective. It had Technology/Politics and all wrapped up into Aliens. Alien secret identities and agendas are such a huge plot point. I really felt like we were in pre-World War 2 Germany but it was more then that. It was an Alien invasion not just bad humans(Nazi's). They were eating us and sucking up our natural resources. It was just great. It made for major drama. I just remember how suspenseful those movies were and the element of danger that surrounded Donovan and the freedom fighters because of the Alien's superior technology. It's hard to believe a sci-fi TV show could stir up so many emotions inside of me but I found myself worrying for the freedom fighters and cheering when the Red Dust was finally discovered.
  • V has sides to it that no other sci-fi tv-show has ever had..

Ever since I saw V for the first time as a young kid, I've always love the show. I loved it then, and I still love it today, after seeing it for the first time since I was 6 years old.

Ham Tyler, one of the coolest anti-heroes I've seen on tv in modern tv-history.

Mike Donovan, the rebellion fighter with good instincts, is more like the central figure in the whole show.

And the aliens....the V people....lizzards....
    How cool is that idea?

Humanlike creatures with reptilian physical attributes, covered, beneath the human skin.

They came to earth with a plan to drain the planet of all resources, and destroy any man who tried to cross their plans.

And the human race stood together, united, and awoke a rebellion against these lizzards, in order to bring peace back to earth and drive the uninvited aliens back into space...

It was a long and grinding war, but we stood our ground to the very end...
  • This show came out in the mid-80's and I thought it was the best. I've watched it again recently after purchasing the DVD release with other sci-fi freaks and we totally still enjoyed the series. Ya gotta watch it.

The mother ships hover over the major cities throughout the world showcasing their technological superiority and offering the human hand of intergalactic friendship. Conspiracies, sycophants, sacrifices, heroism and lots of other traits rear their heads and there's lots of nail biting stuff and it's just cool science fiction. Compared to todays special fx some people may find the music a bit cheesy but the story line is so cool who really cares. What's really refreshing is that the humans didn't smack these intergalactic spacefarers with our version of computer software ingeniuseness - come on we have trouble launching microsoft consistently even today. Some thought the hybrid ending was a bit corny but that just added to it I thought.

Again totally cool series.
  • A brilliant and compelling sci fi drama.

This show is perhaps one of the best during the 80s. It almost feels like a metaphor for the russian invasion paranoia prevelent during the last years of the cold war. The show was almost a mirror image of the volatile rivalry between the WARSAW PAC and NATO. The Russian front and its allies were the reptiles covered in human skin and their spaceships represented the superior military arsenal rolling off from the stalinist war factories. Set the politics aside, and you get yourself an action adventure sci fi series. This show is a little old now but at the time it was an intriguing drama filled with escapism. Some episodes weren't so good, but it was an entertaining series.
  • It started out as a clever idea.

The original concept for V was to parallel the resistance in Nazi Occupied parts of Europe with the United States occupied by aliens from outer space. Unfortunately, the filler stories became really inane and pointless. Dominique Dunne was originally cast as Robin, but was murdered during the filming of the first min-series. I can only speculate on how the overall series might have been improved if she hadn’t been replaced by Blair Tefkin, who is quite possibly one of the worst actresses I’ve ever seen.

There’s talk of either a sequel or a remake. I don’t know, maybe if they promise to not use ANYONE from the original cast…
  • this was a cool show considering

v was quite possibly one of the best sci fi mini series of all time. in the eighties i do not know anyone who had not seen it. when they turned it into a weekly series, i thought cool. but it went down hill pretty fast. i bet they did not have as much money to produce the tv show as they did the mini series, but still it was great for a while.
  • I get a funny feeling whenever I watch V on tv. It sends a chill up my spine in a way that I can't quite describe. This time, it's no exception.

I get a funny feeling whenever I watch V on tv. It sends a chill up my spine in a way that I can't quite describe. This time, it's no exception. When I picked this up during my visit to Blockbuster, I knew I was in for a treat as I have been so many times felt before. I was right! If you haven't gotten this yet, beg, steal, buy or do whatever you need to get it. You won't regret it.
  • Good Bad Good

7.3
    V aliens ivade the earth and trick the arth people into helping them take over the world.

This program started off good it was exciting and you never new wat was going to happen.

During the middle of he film it started to get a bit boring in well what could possible now. it went on for to long and should of ended sooner.

Toward the end of the film it stared to get interseting again, and moe intersting stuff happend.

Near the end the program did thing that were way before its time. and that made it intersting to see what they thogut would happen. when you watch it about 20 years fter it was made.

If you like the sci-fi stuff the watch it it may be intersting to you.
  • V for very ok.

First, how could there be a series following another mini-series that was entitled `The Final Battle'?
    V:The Series was not a disappointment, just don't compare it to the first two mini-series. V and V:The Final Battle were landmarks in television history, V:The Series was a great science fiction series. Yes, it could have been better, but it was still great all the same. Most of the cast from the originals turned up for the series and some great new ones as well, and V:The Series was sweet while it lasted.
    This show might be really great for a remake like as in Battlestar Galactica. With Terror is on people's minds, V is the perfect dark sci-fi show. Maybe there will be a mini series called "V: No Really, This is the Final Battle. What Do You Mean You See Our Fingures Crossed."
  • Just a classic Sci-Fi series, 80's nostalgia for those who remember it as kids, those who don't just a good, fun Sci-Fi series.

I first came across this series one rainy day several years ago, when there was nothing on TV. My Dad suggested we watched a movie, after I had turned down many of his suggestions, he suggested V-The Mini Series. After looking at the cover and briefly reading the blurb on the back I was less than convinced that I would like it, but thought I would give it a shot.

Generally, poor special effects and crude feels to shows put me off, but immediately I was hooked. I loved every part of the show. Not realising the length of the DVD (approx 3 hours) it was a real treat. The story just progressed so fluidly and had me captivated throughout.

The film opens with fifty gigantic spaceships, hovering over all of Earth's major cities, while mankind anxiously awaits the outcome of their mysterious, awe inspiring presence. (You can see where 'Independence Day' got inspiration from.) The story continues to depict the how relationships develop between the aliens and humans. When revelations are made that they have not come in peace, an underground resistance unit is formed, as most of mankind still believe they are affable.

The cliffhanger ending that the series was left in, only further sparked my interest in watching the following parts to the story (V-The Final Battle). Which definitely doesn't disappoint.

This saga has everything, suspense, action, thrills, unusual special effects, a great story line, a moral message, and an inter-species romance.

Go and Watch!
  • Miniseries Rocked

Great Story, Great Characters, The series has a little too much cheese...but the original miniseries rocked ! Donovan, Juliette, Willie, Diana and Lydia were the characters everyone can identify with. I would really like to see a modern version, but suspect that It could never be as good as the original. Growing up watching this show was a big deal...I loved it then and now !
  • A great premise...but poor writing doomed this show.

7.4
    After a pair of mini series aired that told of an alien race that come to Earth ( named the Visitors by the media and such) supposedly in peace but really to conquer and annihilate humanity, the TV network heads, impressed by the ratings, ordered that a regular species be created. Picking up where the second mini series, a resistance group based in Los Angeles learns that the Visitors have not left Earth forever and the fight to save humanity starts all over again. In a good twist, Los Angeles becomes what some viewers might think as a modern Casablanca as a powerful, and evil, businessman/strongman Nathan Bates ( wonderfully played by Lane Smith arranges for a truce with the Visitors. The truce leaves Los Angeles an open city and the resistance members at odds with Nathan.

The episodes in the series used the theme of the resistance vs the Visitors and Nathan many times over the course of the series but the producers did move the location to areas outside Los Angeles. This allowed for some good episodes that showed a chemistry between the different actors that was nice to see. Unfortunately, this chemistry, as well as the series, dissipated rapidly as the series underwent changes around half way through the first season. To be more specific, Michael Ironside's departure left a gaping hole in the show that it never really recovered from. As the season progressed, there were more changes to the cast and the plots started to become really thin in quality. For this reviewer, it seemed like every other episode showed resistance members in dire straits only to be rescued by the powers of the Star Child.

By the time the series limped to the end, most of the original cast was dropped or marginalized in favor of a final confrontation between the surviving resistance and the nasty Visitors. The fact that the series ends on a cliffhanger with no resolution seems to be fairly appropriate considering the way the series was fairly aimless and lacking direction throughout its brief run.
  • Bad 80's sci-fi, with cheesy special effects, but we all loved it at the time. Now though it appears dated.

I must admit to having loved this series originally, but watching repeats of it many years later, was appauled by the cheesy special effects, and acting. It's bad 80's sci-fi, but we all loved it at the time. Now though it appears dated.

Now though, I wouldn't watch it a third time -- it just doesn't stand up to some of the fine sci-fi that DID come from the 80's, such as Battlestar Galatica, or Alien Nation from the 90's. It wasn't just a lack of special effects -- some of the cast had really weak acting. Best to remember it with a little nostalgia, but not to examine it too closely.
  • An astounding sci-fi tv series in a time where you couldn't find decent sci-fi on tv.

On present time, maybe the fx will be seen poor compared to Independence Day but on the time that is was premiered, it was awesome! I don't think any other tv series of its time had fx, costumes and gadgets like this one. Also, the plot was cleverly plotted using the topics of jewish persecution and civil resistance of the WWII. The cast was awesome. In mini-series format, I think it's the best tv sci-fi mini-series of all time. The plot decayed a lot in the following tv series but still kept many of its magic.
  • V was a seried =s about aliens invading earth to take our food and water resources. It was continued from a 8 part mini series. nothing like that movies and the series became a dissappointment

V was a seried about aliens invading earth to take our food and water resources. It was continued from a 8 part mini series. The series started out ok but by the time it was cancelled the plots because so outrageous that it seemed nothing like that movies and the series became a dissappointment
  • Classic Si Fi

Considered by many to be one of the best in the genre, V is a television classic.

This mini-series was a surprise ratings smash. Critically praised for it's introspective tale with strong themes, the special effects were top-notch, particularly for television of the time.

NBC had taken a gamble with this cutting-edge, creative, and creepy alien-invasion story that pays off in some memorable performances from members of the large cast.
  • Okay, admittedly not the first time aliens invaded Planet Earth, but nevertheless great.

The story of V isn't exactly the most imaginative one to begin with. Aliens come to Planet Earth and slowly take over without mankind realizing this until it's too late - well, almost too late.

When seen today, the series doesn't seem as scaring as it was in the 80's ... today people are used to far better special effects, of course. But the whole idea of a humanoid race of reptiles who disquised themselves as humans.
    The actors weren't bad on the whole, playing their roles well and making them believable (even if the role was a reptile from outer space who enjoyed eating hamsters - and humans of course).

When watching the series for the first time - without knowing from the beginning how 'friendly' the aliens really were and in a time when nice aliens were en vogue ('Close Encounter of the Third Kind' or 'E.T.' for example) - I really liked the twist to the average 'evil aliens conquer earth'-plot.
  • They came to earth... to enslave mankind... and so the story went...

V was a classic show about human nature and what a person will do when facing an enemy. Some might say, "If you can't beat em, join em." Some human beings were seduced by the aliens, some were converted by them, but most hated them. And for the few who were brave enough to risk their own lives, they stand up and fought against them. People from all walks of life, rich or poor, different races and ethnic backgrounds came together for a common cause and that was to rid the earth of the Visitors. This war brought out the best and worst in each individual.
  • What happens when a man loves a woman very much and wants to show her how much he loves her by creating a new life but the man is wearing a rubber mask and actually he is one of the lizard-people known as the 'Visitors'? You get the V-Baby!

The V-baby was an amazing breakthrough for network TV. In 1984, the biggest thrill you could get on television was wondering whether Bo & Luke Duke would be able to jump the broken bridge over the creek on Ol' Man McPickleshifter's farm. To have thrust upon you the stark reality of mating with an alien (keep in mind this was before Dan Akroyd discoverd that My Stepmother is an Alien), was a real eye opener for American viewers. But the V-baby, a sniveling, slimy little lizard-person doomed to tough life among the resistance, was not born alone. There is (was) a-noth-er, so to speak. A twin sister! Yes! The hideos visage of the V-baby was matched only by the angelic aryan characteristics of his slightly more human twin...with a forked tongue!
    It's no wonder that Ronald Reagan told Gorby that what the world needed was a common enemy, an invader from the stars, to make their jobs easier. V, the miniseries and the less compelling series that followed it (with a young but lizard-hatin' Michael Ironsides to boot) earns a place as the finest network program featuring humans making alien babies ever made and starring Robert Englund in a non-Freddie role. Some may say that this is a bit of an overstatement, but I would dare anyone to name a show that better embodies those principles.