Vampire Knight

Night of Vampires

Aired Monday 11:55 PM Apr 07, 2008 on TV Tokyo

• This is the first episode of Vampire Knight where all the characters are introduced.

After waiting for this anime to start airing for months, it finally has! This was a wonderful first installment to this exceptional series. It did not stray to far off of the manga, either.

To begin with, the scene with Yuki as a child lost in the middle of a snowstorm, was a great opening! Actually, I believe this is the best opening to an anime series that I have ever seen. The transition to the theme song from the opening is one of the best, too. The theme song matches the vampire theme well, and the lyrics match the storyline.

The part with Yuki trying to keep the Day Class in line was great because she couldn't get them to behave. Then, once the Night Class gate opens, they all start to behave while Yuki apologizes. After watching this episode, I've begun to like the other vampires a lot more. Idou has to be my favorite character with all his funny moments like pretending to "shoot" the Day Class girls. I never considered him to be one of my favorites in the manga.

The voice actors and lines match the personalities from the manga well, too. Zero is the serious character he always has been, and Idou is still the crazy guy the girls call "Idol". As for the Headmaster, I don't believe they could've picked a better voice actor for him!

The only part of this anime episode that I did not like was how it jumped around a lot. Of course, it's only the first episode and there was a lot to tell, so I understand. I also hate how they drew Kaname. His head is small compared to the rest of his body. Other than that, the storyline and the artwork were nicely done. This episode does not disappoint!!!
  • it starts...

Yuki Cross's earliest memory is of a snowy night in winter, when she was attacked by one vampire and was saved by another, Kaname Kuran.Yuki is the adopted daughter of the Headmaster of Cross Academy, Cross Kaien and has grown up and became a prefect for the school with one main purpose: to protect the Human Day Class Students and the Vampire Night Class Students from each other. Her fellow guardian, Zero Kiryu, a childhood companion whose parents were killed by a pureblood vampire, is now determined to kill them all and refuses to trust them. Through a cruel twist of fate, Zero becomes a vampire himself, having been bitten by a pure-blood vampire four years before, Shizuka Hio. Kaname leads the group of Night class as their President, with the help of Takuma Ichijo, the Vice-president.
  • There's flashback of when Yuuki is attacked by a vampire then saved by Kaname, another vampire. In the present, she is attending a school where humans take day classes and vampires take night classes. She makes sure no one finds out about the vampires.

Overall review so far: This show is definitely geared towards girls, with a lot of pretty and charasmatic males, several of which seem to be going for Yuuki. Part of this is because of her apparently "delicious" blood, which attracts vampires with its intoxicating scent. There is also the vampire who saved her, along with a boy named Zero who was orphaned when vampires killed his family. Zero doesn't show romantic interest in Yuuki, but they've known each other for years, and he does seem jealous or protective at times. The show reminds me of the anime/manga Fruits Basket (Furuba), with Yuuki being similar to Touru, Zero being similar to Kyou, and Kaname being similar to Yuuki Souma. But, it has slightly more action in more ways than one. --- Episode review: The first episode certainly drew me in and ended in such a way that I wanted to see the next episode. Quite a bit seemed to be going on right from the start, which always helps.