Veep

First Response

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Jun 09, 2013 on HBO

5.7
  • A lot of time spent on one joke...... but creative nonetheless

Creative, yes. It was interesting to see a whole interview process. But it dragged. On and on. And really it was one joke - Selina thinking she had it all under control when clearly that was not going to be the case.

The behind the camera part didn't seem to have any point to it though. Maybe I just didn't get it. Why would a director and Selina's chief of staff be arguing and insulting each other? What was the point, or what would the point be? I would have thought faked politeness would be far more likely, and possibly funnier.

I also felt this episode gave no positive side to Selina, which is the bit I normally find clever. No matter how daft her and her team are, she somehow gets the politics right, or right enough to get away with it.

This would just have made a totally bizarre interview from a viewers perspective, with no redeeming feature for Selina.
  • First Response

Not the funniest episode of Veep yet, but arguably the most creative and the most believable with the battle between Selina and the interviewer, and even Amy and the EP behind the camera. Well-done, interesting and a fun break from the usual formula of the show.