Vegas

Vegas

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Sep 25, 2012 on CBS

5.9
  • Welcome to Old Vegas!

The only things I knew, before watching the first episode, were that this show had been created by the same people who wrote "Goodfellas" (1990) and "Casino" (1995) and starred Dennis Quaid, Michael Chiklis and Carrie-Anne Moss. But I didn't really know what to expect from it. Would this be just another random mobster TV series? Or would it revolve around money, gambling and gorgeous women? Truth be told... it's neither, really. Apparently, "Vegas" is based on the true life story of a rancher turned sheriff back in the 60's. Dennis Quaid plays this "tough-as-nails" local rancher named Ralph Lamb, who is brought in by the Mayor of Sin City to solve a murder. However, this coincides with the arrival of Vincent Savino (Chiklis), a Chicago mobster looking to make his own way and become a big shot in Vegas. Throughout his investigation, Lamb is aided by Assistant District Attorney, Katherine O'Connell (Moss), whose family was, at one point, involved in a feud with the Lambs.

There are moments where you can tell this is a low budget series, but it possesses a coolness factor and a sense of humor that is uncharacteristic to this type of shows. The supporting cast is also great, with the likes of Michael O'Neill, James Russo and Jason O'Mara.

I must be honest here, I never thought Dennis Quaid could play this old school John Wayne/Clint Eastwood type of "cowboy", but he manages to pull it off brilliantly. I'll definitely keep watching this one.