Vegetable Soup

PBS (ended 1979)

Vegetable Soup Fan Reviews (3)

• It takes all kinds of vegetables All kinds of vegetables All kinds of vegetables...

I used to absolutely love this show when I was a kid. But then there weren't too many shows that actually catered to African-American and Latino Kids during that time, true ever cartoon was some groovy bunch of friends with a weird pet solving mysteries, and singing psychedelic rock songs (like we didn't know) ... but Vegetable Soup was about Education and it was funky and groovy which appealed to us African-American and Latino Kids think about it... when was the last time Sesame Street taught you how to make a cheap filling meal that actually tasted good without you burning down the Kitchen??? P.S. And don't get me started on Krofts Super Show...
  • Worse movie ever.

Worse movie ever. Well actually that's being very harsh. After all, I'm sure the production company had put a lot of effort in producing this and trashing it like I am doing right now seems downright unfair. However, I can't forgive those who waste my time with something like this. Why did I pick up something called Vegetable Soup in the first place?
  • I miss TV from the 70's

I remember having to watch Vegetable Soup in elementary school on rainy days. I only remember liking the Outerscope segments with the puupets and the spaceship. A few years ago I stumbled upon reruns of the show on some local PBS station at like 5am on a sunday and started taping it. Where Sesame St is aimed at younger children, Veg Soup is for slightly older kids and the focus is mainly on racial harmony and integration. There are some great lessons on sharing and friendship and dont forget to take care of your giant snake! There's some amazing "before they were famous" stars too. Bette Midler gave neat recipes as Woody the Spoon. Daniel Stern as a bumbling crook who tries to steal a home made space ship from some puppets. And dont forget the incomperable James Earl Jones as the voice of the evil Long John Spoilsport during the game show segments. Maybe its nostalgia but after rewatching most of the episodes I really like this show. The hippie animation is cheap and weird and the music is very 70s AM radio. I don't think kids of would enjoy this show. It might be to slow and preachy for their fast paced MTV brains but I remember a simpler time when shows like Vegetable Soup and Zoom could babysit your kids.