Vegetable Soup

PBS (ended 1979)

Vegetable Soup Fan Reviews (3)

• I miss TV from the 70's

I remember having to watch Vegetable Soup in elementary school on rainy days. I only remember liking the Outerscope segments with the puupets and the spaceship. A few years ago I stumbled upon reruns of the show on some local PBS station at like 5am on a sunday and started taping it. Where Sesame St is aimed at younger children, Veg Soup is for slightly older kids and the focus is mainly on racial harmony and integration. There are some great lessons on sharing and friendship and dont forget to take care of your giant snake! There's some amazing "before they were famous" stars too. Bette Midler gave neat recipes as Woody the Spoon. Daniel Stern as a bumbling crook who tries to steal a home made space ship from some puppets. And dont forget the incomperable James Earl Jones as the voice of the evil Long John Spoilsport during the game show segments. Maybe its nostalgia but after rewatching most of the episodes I really like this show. The hippie animation is cheap and weird and the music is very 70s AM radio. I don't think kids of would enjoy this show. It might be to slow and preachy for their fast paced MTV brains but I remember a simpler time when shows like Vegetable Soup and Zoom could babysit your kids.