Veritas: The Quest

Antarctica

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Feb 03, 2003 on ABC

• This series is really looking awful!

4.1
    Once more I’m puzzled by how a series with such potential can be so royally messed up. It’s not only the writing that just doesn’t hack it, which is normally the downfall of most series in my opinion, but also the characters and actors.

Nothing really connects properly; the characters are cyphers of enigmas. Two episodes in and the father and son relationship is so false it is nearly completely unbelievable. And why oh why do they have to make Nikko, the son, so bleeding annoying. He is meant to be highly intelligent but just comes across as a spoilt brat.
    Unbelievable characters leave you not caring about what happens to them. Without any sort of emotional attachment, however small, any scenes that are meant to instil a sense of tension or suspense just fall flat.

Therein lies the real big problem Veritas has. It has so far (and how many people will give it more than a couple of chances?) failed to engender any characterisation to the six main characters beyond the clichéd standards.

The conspiracy sub plot is now not only old hat but brings back memories of old the worst parts of X-Files, the never ending, and confusing, conspiracy in the background of the episodes.

Still on a small upside the basic idea behind the series…. Verities (Truth) Foundation investigates to find out the ‘real’ history of the world while the bad guys, and seemingly the government, try to hide what they already know or grab it for themselves is still intriguing. It needs a lot more work script wise and character wise to achieve any sort of success, and I cannot see that happening before the dreaded word ‘cancellation’ comes calling.

Just to continue my complaining about this episode how stupid do the writers think we are?

Why does Solomon, a brilliant man, make another mistake only to be saved at the very last moment by his son? Surely he should be able to work things out himself?
    How did Calvin come back to life, without anyone batting an eyelid? He doesn’t seem phased by his near death experienced and aren’t the rest of them worried about being close to something that can do that?

All in all I am moaning about so much of this because it holds such promise, a promise I fear it will never live up to.