Veritas: The Quest

Skulls

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Feb 10, 2003 on ABC

• Now this is more like it!

A new story, not connected to the first two, or to Solomon’s wife/Nikko’s mother. Maybe this will open things up a bit more allowing a more open, one-off story. That’s what I was hoping for as I\approached the viewing of the episode anyway.

While this still isn’t an episode from the top drawer it is a vast improvement over the first two. Those two felt like they were part of a long complicated back-story, rather like you would have felt if you started watching X-Files in the fourth or fifth series. You could possibly enjoy the episode but are more likely to be lost by the sub plots. Starting a series like that is a bad idea, puts viewers off straight away.

This episode is much more like you would have expected this series to be like; shades of Tomb Raider and Indiana Jones are at last apt comparisons.
    We have the search for a lost item, Nazi Fourth Reich, cross and double cross and a beautiful female treasure hunter (The wonderful Liz Vassey, Captain Liberty from the live action Tick)

Bella Nicholson is the best character to appear in the series so far. She is smart, sexy and the perfect counterpoint to the aims and ideals of Solomon. By the end of this episode I was already hoping that a quick reappearance for her was already scheduled. Her scenes with Solomon actually bring something out of him, the chemistry between them is readily apparent.

There are even some clever plot touches in this that are not completely off the wall stupid, like Calvin’s revitalisation!
    The trick the Veritas team play on Cordoba and the Germans with the map/blueprint brought a wry smile to my face and that doesn’t happen very often.

If we get to see more episodes along the lines of this one, get some more depth to the characters and get Bella back then for the first time I think I can say that I would be looking forward to seeing more of the Veritas crew.

This episode was such an improvement that I don’t even have anything to say about the annoying Nikko, and that probably says more than any words I can put to paper!