A Veronica Mars Community
UPN (ended 2007)

Mark Pedowitz, the man behind all those good-looking men on The CW, took the stage at the Television Critics Association Winter Press Tour today to talk about the state of TV now (TV now). He pretended to say a lot while not actually saying anything at all, but I've sifted through everything and I think I've compiled most of the important stuff regarding the state of the network, what's coming up, the status of the just-announced Veronica Mars digital spin-off series, and what he thinks about Fox's decision to quit participating in pilot season all together.

On The CW's just-announced Veronica Mars digital spin-off:

The network has just closed a deal to resurrect the series back as a web series on CW Seed, the home of the network's original online programming, but it's so new that there's almost nothing Pedowitz could share about it. But he did confirm that the upcoming Veronica Mars film is what gave birth to the idea, and that series creator Rob Thomas is "very excited." Right now, the basic plan is to make six to eight 10-minute episodes to debut after the movie's premiere. This doesn't make up for the fact that the network unceremoniously canceled the cult favorite in 2007, but it certainly helps to ease the pain.

On becoming the home for genre television, and how pilots work for The CW: 

With the success of dramas like The Vampire Diaries, Supernatural, and Arrow, The CW has nearly become synonymous with genre television, and the network is embracing that fact. "High concept/fantasy-meets-serialized-drama ... that's what works for us," Pedowitz said. "In that vein, that's what we look for... I loved Emily Owens M.D. when we did it... [but] the audience isn't coming to us for a normal procedural." 

Pedowitz wishes Fox well in its efforts to opt out of pilot season, but The CW will not be following suit. The network doesn't make that many pilots in general, and it has a very high pilot-to-series ratio. Of the seven pilots produced last development season, five made it air. "For us, it's a very efficient system. You learn things you would never see."

On the future of Supernatural:

The fate of the series, which saw a resurgence in Season 8, has not yet been determined, but together with Arrow, the Winchesters have helped give The CW its best Tuesday ratings in five years, so no one needs to start any save-the-show campaigns or anything. Plus, Pedowitz is a fan of the show. "As long as I'm still here, and those numbers still hold, it can go as long as it wants."

On the fate of Nina Dobrev's Katherine on The Vampire Diaries

Naturally, the group of reporters in attendance was concerned about our Queen's fate, because we have hearts (well some of us do, anyway), but Pedowitz was not forthcoming with any details. "I am not allowed to discuss plot points for Julie Plec," he joked. [She will] stake me." Well, sorry guys, we tried. Guess you'll just have to tune in for the series' 100th episode next week to find out.

On the future of feel-good dramedies Hart of Dixie and The Carrie Diaries

Knowing that Zoe and the people of Bluebell will be moving to Fridays beginning March 21, the future of the series is definitely a concern for many people. Pedowitz admitted the series had a tough time period on Monday nights, and that although it did fairly well, he hopes it will also do well paired with Who's Line Is It Anyway on Friday evenings because they're both comedic shows. As for the future of the series, "We haven't made a decision one way or another." I'm personally leading the charge for the series to return because the world needs more Wilson Bethel.

When asked about the future of '80s set The Carrie Diaries, he praised creator Amy Harris on Season 2. "[She] did a really good job with the show this year." But just as with Hart of Dixie, there won't be a decision on the show's fate until May. Knowing that the series was renewed last year as a result of its streaming numbers, I urge all of you to go stream the entire second season immediately. At least six times. 

On Reign:

"I'm very bullish on Reign," said Pedowitz, using the buzzword for TCA 2014. The ratings for the series are beginning to increase, and it's doing better in the post-TVD time slot than Beauty and the Beast ever did (which isn't saying much, unfortunately, because BATB's first season performed worse than The Secret Circle and the latter was canceled. And no, I plan on never letting that go. Team Diana 4-EVER!)

On what's coming up for the network:

The CW has acquired the four-hour miniseries Labyrinth, which is not a remake of the 1980s David Bowie film as I'd originally hoped. There's no premiere date yet, but the project stars John Hurt (most recently seen in Doctor Who), Sebastian Stan (Captain America: Winter Soldier, Gossip Girl), Jessica Findlay-Brown (Downton Abbey), and Draco Malfoy Tom Felton. Set in France and South Africa, the miniseries is a historical drama about the Holy Grail. Merlin's Katie McGrath also stars. 

Barber Battle—I kid you not—is a new 10-episode reality series from Cedric the Entertainer that travels to barbershops across the country so barbers can showcase their artistic designs. Once again: none of that was a joke. 

There's also a new series called Penn & Teller: Fool Us. It will see aspiring magicians perform their best tricks in an attempt to fool the famous magicians. There's no premiere date yet. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/22/2007

Season 3 : Episode 20

91 Comments
Comments (92)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I think Hart Of Dixie should at least get a fourth season and a proper conclusion, I would be happy with that!! This season has been all over the place, I'm just waiting for it to get back to season 1 and 2 because I love this show <3 but its not the some without the Zade interactions
Flag
Or at least a 6 episode wrap /shortened up season up like Nikita had would work for me, too.
Flag
'The world needs more Wilson Bethel' - never truer words were spoken!
Flag
I saw Labyrinth, thought you meant David Bowie movie. Please don't tease me like that again!!
Flag
The Carrie Diaries is good, better than many teenage drama and more people should watch it. It is sad if the show ends so soon.
Flag
if what I heard is correct then the Veronica Mars webseries is going to be about Ryan Hansen playing a version of himself trying to get a VM spinoff about Dick Casablancas... so really it's not even a VM spinoff, they just seem like they're throwing that around to get people talking about it because of the upcoming movie.

I'll watch Labyrinth, it has people I like and it's a miniseries so why not? I don't understand "I'm very bullish on Reign" so I don't know if that's good or bad.. either way it's one of the better shows on CW.
Flag
"I'm very bullish on Reign" means he likes it.
Flag
Bullish also means optimistic about something's future.
Flag
I like Beauty and the Beast.... I guess it will be canceled, but I hope not. Reign is dumb, so I wouldn't mind if they canceled that in order to make room for other better new shows. I would like more witches or aliens.
Labyrinth sounds good.
Flag
VM minisodes? Are these going to be from material shot on the set of the movie, or are they actually putting together budgets to shoot new material? I'll be there for either, just curious how much VM this network really is willing to stand by. And honestly, online content only? Just do an on-air special or something.

I'm very interested in seeing Penn & Teller try to fool magicians, that sounds really entertaining and I hope to see more info about it.
Flag
the CW are such hypocrites first they cancel veronica mars and then they see that it's getting all this success from the kick starter to an actual movie so now they are doing a spin-off to get some piece of that pie for themselves, unbelievable
Flag
""but together with Arrow, the Winchesters have helped give The CW its best Tuesday ratings in five years,"
Arrow is on Wednesday, its with the Originals on Tuesdays.
Flag
As much as I love Supernatural it has become habitual viewing for me rather than must see. I hope they get renewed for another season but make it the last, pulling out all the stops and lining everything up for a neat ending.
Flag
with so little info on the possible VMars spinoff, hard to know if I should be excited or nervous. more nervous though. seems like there's too many ways this could go wrong and it being released through an online platform doesn't boost my confidence.

I talk VMars, Community, The Good Wife and my all-time favorite TV episode in this weeks' Untempered Television Podcast: http://www.untemperedtv.com/?p=208
Flag
I'm not excited by a VM spin off not at all and I'm not sure how it could exist. VM was about Veronica. I'm not saying that the other characters hadn't any importance "au contraire" but that was because of the links they had with Veronica.
I would say that a good solution is to resurrect the show but it's been 7 years that could be weird. Then I will satisfy myself with a good movie.
Flag
I would be excited to see the continuation, as I am with the prospect of the movie, but I can't see it working in such a short format. No time to develop a good story.
Flag
This "Labyrinth" thing is intriguing. Apparently it is about two women looking for the holy grial in two different time periods, but they must be both played by the same actress, since there is only Jessica Findlay-Brown in the announcements (the rest are males).
Flag
Bring Bobby back already, idjits!
Flag
See my post under Tim's newsbriefs today, but I think Labyrinth has already been done. I saw it about a year ago...think its a French or UK import.
Flag
No. No VM spin-off web thing. If you want to ease the pain of us marshmallows, resurrect the actual show!
Flag
i love supernatural, but i kinda hope it ends soon. i think it should have ended like 2 seasons ago. they had a great ending IMO, but then it was picked up again
Flag
As I remember the creator Eric Kripke had the series originally planned for 5 seasons with the ideas and script. So yes all after that has been weird...
Flag
Yes it was planned for 5 seasons and that was a good moment to stop the show. After that season 6 and 7 was not as good as the rest. Season 8 and 9 are better so I have hope.
I liked the show a lot but I think that they should end it soon before it crashes itself.
Flag
Actually Kripke has gone on record recently stating that the five season pre-plan is false. Although he did have a rough story guide (encompassing 1-5) from the beginning he didn't have a time frame in mind, meaning he could have stretched it out longer if he really wanted to.
Flag
Agree re: Secret Circle. How about some web episodes of that?
Flag
I hope Supernatural gets infinity seasons.
Flag
Me too.
Flag
I wish Barber Battle was a joke.
Flag
Penn & Teller: Fool Us for USA? What happened to the British one? I loved that one! Axed?
Flag
I thought the exact same thing. Didn't know it was original for the UK though. I thought we would have gotten it from America not the other way round.
Flag
Nope, Americans never had one. I guess CW's USA version.
Flag
So damn excited for the VM spinoff now that they have said that it is focused on Dick/Ryan
Flag
I love supernatural I've always loved supernatural and I think I would have a melt down when it finally does come to an end, but that's much much much later, not now.
Flag
Supernatural is great hope they never cancel it! Also rumors of a backdoor pilot for a spinoff!
Flag
And Whose Line is in there somewhere, presumably...
Flag
It returns on 3/21/2014.
Flag
Right. I just thought it was odd it wasn't mentioned at all, since it seems to be one of the CW's success stories as well.
Flag
I hope it didn't get changed!
Flag
Supernatural should run for 13 seasons, perfect for the "horror" aspect of the show, and just enough time for the spin-off to reach syndication numbers.
Flag
*McGrath, Katie McGrath
Flag
Staff
Spelling is hard. Thanks for catching the typo!
Flag
Spelling is hard!! :)
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Labyrinth was OK, but it's been out for a little while. I saw it over the summer maybe?
Flag
I'd totally be up for a CW Labyrinth show based on the 80s tv show....
Flag
Everyone would be!
Flag
Wow, is there anything The CW can't do wrong at this point? With all the right decisions being made, it seems like it's the best network atm. I still think that they should cancel BATB and replace it with a revived VM series officially on the schedule but at least it's coming back even though it's in digital form. And as much as I love SPN, I think Season 10 should be its last.
Flag
Cult?
Flag
I don't know if I can handle Tom Felton being on a CW show... too many worlds colliding! (Would this be a step up, or step down career wise?)
Flag
eh..depends on the success of the show?
Flag
If they don't renew Reign after giving that travesty BATB a second season, I'm gonna riot.
Flag
And I'll join you in the riot! Still can't believe they renewed BATB last year, Reign needs to get another season.
Flag
"BATB's first season performed worse than The Secret Circle and the latter was canceled. And no, I plan on never letting that go."

Neither do I.
Flag
A couple of years after it's cancelled and I'm still pissed that they chose to replace TSC with BATB. That's one bad decision that I'm not gonna forgive. If only another network would pick it up... #SAVETHECIRCLE
Flag
I know right...seems hopeless, but #nevergiveup

Flag
So does that mean The Tomorrow People is likely to get axed next year? Not a single mention of the show in the interview.

Flag
Staff
There were no questions/comments re: The Tomorrow People at the panel, that's the only reason it wasn't mentioned!
Flag
Isn't that worse? Doesn't that translate to no interest from the viewing public about the fate of the show?
Regular people not asking questions about the show = either they don't watch the show or don't care enough about the show to ask about its future
Press/Media not asking about the show = they don't believe their readers would be interested about that particular show, or worse, the show is so forgettable they forgot to ask about it on the CW panel which programs only 10 shows in a week.
Flag
Staff
There's also a finite amount of time for questioning, unfortunately. There's never enough time to cover every single show on a network, and when people ask questions like "Is Katherine going to die?" which he's obviously not going to answer, it eats up time for other questions.

I'm not saying whether it's good or bad for The Tomorrow People, but there are many factors to take into consideration.
Flag
with TTP moving to mondays halfway through it's freshmen season..the odds aren't looking good. Which sucks...the show's actually grown on me
Flag
TV by the numbers says that Reign and The tomorrow people are both "a toss up between renewal and cancellation" and that at least 2 of the shows Reign, The tomorrow people, The 100 and Star Crossed will be cancelled.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/01/14/cw-two-or-three-of-reign-the-tomorrow-people-the-100-star-crossed-will-be-canceled/228610/
Flag
Yeah I saw that TVBTN article too. It's like an unofficial contest with TTP vs Reign on which gets to be renewed. With Pedowitz saying he's bullish on Reign, without even mentioning TTP, I'm guessing TTP really is "Cancellation predicted". (assuming of course both The 100 and Star-crossed don't totally bomb in the ratings this year).
Flag
Based on the promo picture for Labyrinth above, it seems like they settled on Reign's B-team to do their costumes.
Flag
The placement of the Labryrinth photo is in a weird spot, too. It should be below the Reign article. Then again, there should be a picture of Reign in that spot.
Flag
Yay for his comments on Supernatural, it's been my favourite show for so long now & kept my interest all these years, I've sorta forgotten what life was like 9 seasons ago! Hope it carries on for a few more seasons yet, fingers crossed for a s10 renewal announcement soon.

I would looove to see Reign renewed for another season, it's been one of the shows that surprised me this year, maybe 'cos I had no expectations from it but still, I love it & I'd love to see another season or 2. His words seem promising.. 'bullish' is good right..?! Long may it Reign ;)

I expect TVD & Arrow to get renewed (yay!) The Originals too is an expected renewal to an extent. Kinda meh on everything else, BATB getting a s2 surprised me last year so not fussed about it at all & haven't seen the others.

I'm still not quite over TSC, it wasn't my absolute favourite & maybe it didn't start strong but after how they ended s1 I was looking forward to more, that cancellation still smarts a little.
Flag
I do like TTP, too. But if I HAD to pick between Reign and TTP, I would choose Reign. I LOVE that show! It's been really hard waiting for January 23. Ugh!!
Flag
I watch TTP & like you I do like it but I agree that if I had to pick I'd choose Reign easy lol!

IKR the wait is killing me, everything else came back this week except Reign & TVD. More excited to see Reign tho, need to know what happened after Mary & Bash's runner ;)
Flag
I'll definitely be watching Labyrinth because of that amazing cast. Draco, Morgana, and the War Doctor? Hell yeah.
Flag
I hope Supernatural sticks around a few more seasons cause it's been a HELL of a ride so far.Definitely an underrated show!
Flag
Praying TCD gets a third season.
Flag
Fool Us was already on UK tv, it was good -

Flag
Guess that's what I must have been thinking about. As soon as I read that part of the article, I thought to myself, "I could've sworn that I've seen that already."
Flag
It might be an American version that is coming. Didn't UK's version get the axe? :(
Flag
In the modern age of genuine digital series (House of Cards, Arrested Development, etc), any talk of '10 minute webisodes' for Veronica Mars feels little more than a DVD extra
Flag
I know, they should just resurrect the series on Netflix. I never watched VM while it was on TV but found it on Netflix a few years ago and liked it so much that I went and bought the DVDs. It's a good thing I did too because it's no longer on Netflix.
Flag
"There's also a new series called Penn & Teller: Fool Us." - insert snide fact-checking remark here
Flag
Staff
New series could also just mean "new to The CW," which is exactly what it means in this case.
Flag
I don't really feel that's a valid use of the language we purport to be speaking, no.
Flag
Maybe it is American version instead.
Flag
Seriously, no one is letting TSC cancellation go. They shouldn't! People didnt let VM's cancellation go, and look where we are now. Getting a movie and some online webisodes!! Never let go, people!!! #Pizzana!
Flag
You know what? We shouldn't let it go. I was really looking to a season 2 after the season finale.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members