A Veronica Mars Community
UPN (ended 2007)
So… As many of you might know, or maybe not, I’m a fan of the best zombie show on TV. And by that, I mean iZombie. Come at me, TWD fanboys! And as many of you might know, iZombie was created by the same person who created Veronica Mars. A year or so ago, I figured “Well, golly! I sure do like this iZombie TV mover. I wonder what other things these people have done!” Then I spent a minute on IMDb and saw that he had another show called Veronica Mars. Just kidding. I knew Rob Thomas was involved with Veronica Mars from the very start. Buuuut I continued to ignore the show for about a year because I never had any interest in it. You know? The basic “should I watch that show” routine. It’s an art-form. Kind of like a dance. An extremely dull, uninteresting, and non-sensual dance. You know, it’s only logical. I can’t commit myself to some show that would not appreciate me for who I am.

I think it’s pretty obvious that I ended up watching the show… Or am I just winging an entire article. Who knows? No one!

So first things first. This… Thing… Covers the whole first season. Therefore, it’s not going to be “in-depth”. I don't have time to add pictures. So if a wall of text bothers your as much as it does me, too bad. Maybe we can meet for a lunch. Then I could read it to you as you gently fall asleep. Also, this won’t be a recap or anything. It’s going to be some sort of a ridiculous attempt to go with the flow, resulting in general confusion, broken hearts and none of this seeing the light of day since I’m writing the first draft of this with Word and I'll eventually just think that it's shit. Also, delete this if you’re actually going to publish it online, you ignorant ass.

Okay, no more attempts at humor. Firstly, I suck at it… And secondly, I find myself laughing at my own jokes. That makes me quite sad.

Enrolling in Neptune High School after spending a year in a morgue with Liv was a weird thing. First of all, one doesn’t have many expectations going to the morgue. High School is a whole other thing. One has a fair share of things to expect from a High School built by the person who built the morgue. Okay, maybe my “smart” speech figures and figure of speeches are too much and I should go the same route as I did with my attempts of humor. The gist is, I had absolutely no expectations about iZombie. Veronica Mars on the other hand… Well, it’s from the guy who’s currently making my favorite show. Expectations were aplenty. And so I have to admit that if I actually used the four-episode test on this series, I might have not stuck with it. It took me about 8 episodes to properly get interested about Veronica Mars. Both the show and the character. But it got there! Or I got there? I am extremely aware of the fact that my expectations probably had an effect on or caused my slow warm-up. Although, it could be the fact that the show takes place in this weird time-period. Can you imagine that one of the side-characters literally bragged that his family was one of the first families in the entire United States to have a Wi-Fi connection? Come on?! What sort of historical piece this show is?

So Veronica Mars tells a story of, prepare to be amazed, Veronica Mars. Or stories. Veronica Mars is the main character. Shocking, I know. She’s the daughter of an ex-sheriff who’s currently a private eye and Veronica, being her father’s daughter, does some investigating herself. This already brings a nice change to this dull “case of the week” premise. You know..? Because the victims are rarely dead since Veronica is a high school student. So it’s usually “someone’s sabotaging my studying” or “someone stole the school mascot” or something along the lines. Usually the victim is around, that’s the point. The victim isn’t a corpse and the episode usually features him or her in some other capacity than lying as a corpse. So, in some cases, I actually cared about the victims. Or I wasn’t actively questioning “Why should I care?” It was refreshing. There’s also this overarching story about Veronica’s best friend’s murder. The formula is the same as with iZombie, an interesting overarching story plus fairly interesting and humorous case of the weeks.
The overarching story is a bit hard to get into at start. Mostly because it’s a case of “a dead character you are supposed to care about because reasons”. And I’m sort of not into those. Luckily the show incorporated a significant amount of flashbacks that at least made Lilly, the corpse, into somewhat human character. It was a nice touch. Though she did come across as slightly one-dimensional party girl. I had absolutely no idea how someone like her could have been the best friend of a character like Veronica Mars. Though Veronica did go through things that obviously changed her so she might have been a slightly different prior to the specific thing that happened to her. All in all, the overarching story and my feelings toward it was very similar to my overall feeling of the show. Slow start and then it got interesting and good.

The characters are where the show shines. Obviously there are some breakthrough characters. Logan in all his idiotic antics is actually pretty great. And by that I mean that he’s sort of an asshole but in an endearing way. And for a good reason. I mean, there’s no reason to be an asshole but I understand why he would act the way he did. Then there’s Wallace, the Robin to Veronica’s Batman. A humorous young fella. When we first meet him he’s duct-taped to a flagpole. Good times. There begins his and Veronica’s mutually beneficial relationship. There’s Veronica’s ex, Duncan... I didn’t quite warm up to him. He’s interesting but I didn’t really get any touch with his “personality”. Let’s just say that with a cast of characters like these, an average, somewhat interesting character can come off as relatively dull. Veronica’s father is pretty awesome. Weevil was great as well. In fact most of the characters are a lot deeper than they first appear. Logan and Weevil are the best examples of this “hidden depths” thing. Weevil didn’t get as much screentime as Logan though.

What else, what else.

The romantic shenanigans of the show were a bit iffy. At start. You know, it’s easier to tolerate/get invested in fictional relationships if you care about the characters. The first half of the show was me just basically groaning at every romantic development. Now I’m pretty into those as well. I mean... Who doesn't?

Okay so that’s that. It’s getting late… At least where I’m from. And the whole overarching story went through a lot of twists over the 22 episodes. So that’s why I didn’t cover that in detail. And also, I did want to keep a general mystery alive. Did I really watch the show? Or did I just read some character wiki pages? Okay… I did watch it.

In conclusion. People who said that I’d enjoy Veronica Mars if I enjoy iZombie were right. It was a little slow to start, but once it got there, it was genuinely good. By the end of the first season, I couldn’t stop watching the next episode. So the season only got better. Much like I feel iZombie is continuously getting better. I might write up another thingy about season 2. With this pace, I’ll be done with the season in just a few days. I’m on a vacation for a week and I have absolutely nothing else to do. So. Yeah.

Oh… I wrote an article on the “gaming” community a few days. Since nobody uses the community, nobody promotes the articles anymore. Even though I put on make-up, jiggled my ass and sold out like Kiss.

So… If you played (highly doubtful) Tales from the Borderlands game from Telltale Games, here’s a link to that. If you didn’t play it, I suggest you do so. It’s easily one of the best games of the year. You know, if you dig point & click adventures. Knowledge of Borderlands games won’t hurt either. Please. Again, I’m selling myself. At least check it out. I put an absurd amount of time into getting screenshots, playing the game, writing the article, making some edits and all that. I am quite sad that nobody has probably even seen it. I mean.. Come on. People get featured on the front page by literally posting a poll. It takes like a minute?! I spent 10 hours on that article thingy! I think that with this last paragraph, I lost all my dignity. Luckily you guys don't personally know me.
10 Comments
Comments (10)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Nov 03, 2015
I'm always happy for people who newly discover Veronica Mars. I'm also quite enjoying iZombie, though my love for Veronica Mars runs much deeper.

I'm surprised it took you so long to get in to Veronica Mars. I can honestly say that it was probably the only show of my life that I was 100% hooked within 10 minutes of starting the pilot. I just love the fast-paced, clever, funny narration and the fact that I was swept up into multiple mysteries and social interactions in just the first episode.

But hey, glad you're enjoying, and I'll be watching iZombie along with you. :)
Flag
Oct 20, 2015
Nice ...text? article? rant? I can't tell, but it was nice indeed. A few years back I took the same trip into VeronicaMarsLand like you did. My reaction was a bit more mixed. I did watch the whole 1st season and a little bit of the second. Then I stopped (I think, it's been a while since then). Nice as it may be (and coming with glowing reviews by people whose opinions I respect) the general tone of the show left me indifferent. Come to think about it, I think I might have to drop iZombie as well. it's nice and everything (in fact it's much more than just "nice"), but there's too much good tv out there and too little time left to watch stuff I'm not completely into. Cheers!
Flag
Oct 22, 2015
Yeah I have no idea what this article is. A text seems to be the most accurate. I might have under-highlighted how hard it was for me to actually properly get into Veronica Mars. I mean... 8 episodes before I even got interested in it properly is bad considering that I usually drop shows during the 3rd or 4th episode. I basically gambled for 8 hours and hoped it got me hooked. And luckily it did. In large part thanks to the side characters. Logan, Weevil and Keith were hilarious with Logan's sense of humor being straight up my alley.

But come on... Dropping iZombie? Nah, man! You tripping balls! Though I don't really watch that much TV these days. iZombie, Supernatural, South Park and The Walking Dead are pretty much the shows that I watch religiously as they air. And that's it. I should probably start watching a proper "award-bait" drama though. No chance that I watch Game of Thrones after the fifth season took a massive dump on my favorite character arc.
Flag
Oct 22, 2015
"Text" seems about right... As for your "gamble" as you call it, it obviously paid off. Not so much for me. And now I definitely don't have the time for more gambles. If a show doesn't hook me right away, I'm ashamed to say that I can't give it more time. Recent victims of time constraints are The Strain and Supernatural. After following the brothers for 10 years I think it's time for me to let them go.

Any given day, I only have time for maybe two episodes. I watch Castle, The Blacklist, Person of Interest and recently The Grinder with my wife (and GoT when it comes back, though I also have some of the same objections as you do over the last season), and when she goes to bed I may watch another episode of something. But let me tell you what shows wait and demand my attention: last seasons of Hannibal, Banshee, Penny Dreadful , Fargo, a couple of seasons worth of Justified, Blacksails, The Americans, Manhattan and more. And I try to keep up with Agents of SHIELD and The 100 when it comes back.

So, you see my predicament? Why keep on watching iZombie (good though it is)when I feel I should be watching the last season of Hannibal or Banshee before it comes back? And somewhere in there, there's also life to be lived...
More +
Flag
Oct 22, 2015
Yeah. It really is a golden age for TV in a way. Sure there's a lot more crap on than there was ten or twenty years ago... But there's also so much greatness and must-see shows that it's hard to keep track of it all. Almost impossible in a way. Without Netflix and the occasional flu, I would have missed out on Breaking Bad, Chuck and countless of other shows. And now that I went back to school, most of my time goes into yelling at my code for not working.

But yeah... I'm certainly not jealous of your TV-schedule. I have personally given up on the Arrow and the Flash. I'll watch them at some point but I'm just not interested enough to keep watching them as they air.
Flag
Oct 19, 2015
Nice to know that more people are jumping on the Veronica Mars bandwagon! Rob Thomas really has a knack for creating awesome shows along with complex and well-rounded female heroines. First with VM and now with iZombie.
Flag
Oct 19, 2015
Yeah. It's always a pleasure to see well-rounded female heroines. Thanks to the setting of the show, I kiiiind of figured that the characters might fall flat. Third dimension-wise. Luckily Veronica, Logan, Weevil, Wallace, Duncan and pretty much every main character proved me wrong.
Flag
Oct 21, 2015
Yeah, seeing that it was set mostly set in a high school in California can kinda make you assume that the characters would be superficial like the ones on Gossip Girl. ;) But I sort of disagree with you on Duncan. To me, Duncan was always bland and dull against the other characters. Sure, he was an important character central to the plot in the 1st season but his personality was always just so blah!
Flag
Oct 22, 2015
The school setting does conjure up images of caricature characters in my mind, I have to admit. Luckily I got past it. Duncan was easily the least interesting character from the main cast but at least I never actively hoped for him to go away. I was just sort of apathetic towards him.

Logan is easily my favorite character apart from Veronica. Which is sort of a surprise for me. Prior to me starting to watch the show, I heard a lot of good things about the character and his development... And I sort of spoiled myself about the on/off thing he has with Veronica. I rarely respond well to the fan-favorites. It might be my inner hipster or just hype-backlash. But whatever the case was, Logan's development and the fact that pretty much everything he said made me chuckle quickly made me change my mind.
Flag
Oct 22, 2015
Other than Veronica Mars, I think The OC did pretty well with some of their characters even though it was set in a prestigious high school.

It's pretty much a given that Veronica was everyone's favorite character and I definitely agree with you on Logan. In the beginning, he was just another spoiled rich kid but as the show went along, you start to see how complex of a character he was. It definitely helped that his relationship with Veronica was a significant part of that which is probably one of the reasons why I love the pairing of LoVe (heh!). Yeah, he definitely had some funny moments especially when hearing his voicemails as daily inspirational quotes. ;)
Flag