Veronica Mars Forums

UPN (ended 2007)

Java The Hut - The Official Off Topic Thread

eMetiB_101

[1]Oct 6, 2007
    • level: 36

Welcome to Java The Hut, please take a seat and Veronica will be by your table soon to take your order. There's a special on the cherry pie this week and if you need a pick-me-up I recommend the Chai coffee... but please, no karaoke before 7pm.

So there's a lot of off topic chatter in other threads these days since the show got cancelled I personally don't mind off-topic chatter in threads, but some do so I thought I'd create this thread for people to post to as an alternative.

Edited on 10/06/2007 8:35am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

eMetiB_101

[2]Oct 6, 2007

Some of you are Supernatuarl fans so... I just saw the first episode of Supernatural season 3 and I thought it was excellent! Has anyone else seen it and what did you think?

Katie Cassidy made her first (brief) appearance (as Ruby) and the girl kicks ass! Lauren Cohan (Bela) won't show up until episode 3, but if episode 1 is any indication it should be a great season.

tvfan332

[3]Oct 6, 2007
    • level: 37
    eMetiB_101 wrote:

Some of you are Supernatuarl fans so... I just saw the first episode of Supernatural season 3 and I thought it was excellent! Has anyone else seen it and what did you think?

Katie Cassidy made her first (brief) appearance (as Ruby) and the girl kicks ass! Lauren Cohan (Bela) won't show up until episode 3, but if episode 1 is any indication it should be a great season.

I thought it was a pretty great premiere.

***SPOILER***

Vital_Shot

[4]Oct 6, 2007
    • level: 25
    eMetiB_101 wrote:

Mm, I'm a recently new Supernatural fan, and I taped it and I havn't gotten to it yet. I'll be sure to watch it though and get back to you.

michael_LB92

[5]Oct 6, 2007
    • level: 24
    Yay. Off-topic threads. (We should ask FlameMoth if we can make it a sticky)

Anyway, I haven't seen the season 3 premiere yet. There are too many shows going on at once, that I have to catch up on! (Heroes, Bionic Woman, Supernatural, Moonlight, etc.)

Did anyone like Bionic Woman? I thought it was an awesome pilot, but for some reason, I have a feeling the rest of the series will suck.

eMetiB_101

[6]Oct 6, 2007
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    Yay. Off-topic threads. (We should ask FlameMoth if we can make it a sticky)

Anyway, I haven't seen the season 3 premiere yet. There are too many shows going on at once, that I have to catch up on! (Heroes, Bionic Woman, Supernatural, Moonlight, etc.)

Did anyone like Bionic Woman? I thought it was an awesome pilot, but for some reason, I have a feeling the rest of the series will suck.

Yeah I'm watching Bionic Woman. I like that show and the second episode was pretty good. They're still working out some of the kinks, but I think the show is getting better and has a lot of potential. They have good actors... it all depends on the writing from here.

Michelle Ryan is playing Jamie well and I like the revamped sister character played by Lucy Hale. The icing on the cake for me is Katee Sackhoff I really enjoy watching Katee play Starbuck on BSG and she's good on Bionic as well.

electricpeppers

[7]Oct 7, 2007
    • level: 26

michael_LB92 wrote:

Heh, same here. I've been attempting to catch up with Smallville and SPN, mostly unsuccessfully. I was too busy watching the last few episodes of Heroes S1 because I couldn't wait any longer. Damn that show is good, I feel bad for ever thinking it was crap.

eMetiB_101 wrote:
    Michelle Ryan is playing Jamie.

I cannot watch Bionic Woman for this very reason, she will always be Zoe Slater from Eastenders to me. The cockney accent is too ingrained in my mind... *shudder*: "You ain't my muvaaah!" lol anyone who has ever watched Eastenders will get that reference.

Edited on 10/07/2007 4:23am

asutho

[8]Oct 7, 2007
    • level: 17
    I'm caught up on everything, except Supernatural, iv got all the episodes, so ill eventually watch it, but it's not a priority.

NJZ

[9]Oct 7, 2007
    • level: 29
    electricpeppers wrote:
    eMetiB_101 wrote:
    Michelle Ryan is playing Jamie.
    I cannot watch Bionic Woman for this very reason, she will always be Zoe Slater from Eastenders to me. The cockney accent is too ingrained in my mind... *shudder*: "You ain't my muvaaah!" lol anyone who has ever watched Eastenders will get that reference.

LMAO I remember that scene from 'Enders. And that was back when Eastenders was actually enjoyable. Anyway, before you completely write-off Bionic Woman, I have to tell you that I felt exactly the same about Michelle Ryan. I liked the Zoe character but Michelle wasn't very good at playing her. However, she is so much better in BW. Her accent is a bit weird for the first 20 mins of the pilot, but after that, you just get used to it. I reckon you should give Bionic Woman and Michelle Ryan a try, they might just suprise you.

Vital_Shot

[10]Oct 7, 2007
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    Yay. Off-topic threads. (We should ask FlameMoth if we can make it a sticky) Anyway, I haven't seen the season 3 premiere yet. There are too many shows going on at once, that I have to catch up on! (Heroes, Bionic Woman, Supernatural, Moonlight, etc.) Did anyone like Bionic Woman? I thought it was an awesome pilot, but for some reason, I have a feeling the rest of the series will suck.

Ooh, Bionic Woman was good it's first two episode. I'm not sure how they are going to make a whole series out of it though.
    ***SPOILER***
    I like it so far, and I have a load of shows to catch up on too.
    Edited on 10/07/2007 12:58pm

blufuzycow

[11]Oct 7, 2007
    • level: 19

good idea for a random thread since it seems like no matter what we are talking about we segway prett easily...

anyway i was just wondering if anyone's watch Pushing Daises yet, i finally sat down and watched the premier this weekend and i thought it was prety good...i am certainly going to continue watching, it doesn't feel like the same old stuff on TV. Even though i liked it i am not in love with it just yet... i hope the show lasts for a little while, i think its only been ordered for 13 eps and its very stylized so i feel like people will either love it or hate it and even though the pilot had a good plot and storyline i just don't know what they are going to do week to week...

eMetiB_101

[12]Oct 8, 2007
    blufuzycow wrote:

good idea for a random thread since it seems like no matter what we are talking about we segway prett easily...

anyway i was just wondering if anyone's watch Pushing Daises yet, i finally sat down and watched the premier this weekend and i thought it was prety good...i am certainly going to continue watching, it doesn't feel like the same old stuff on TV. Even though i liked it i am not in love with it just yet... i hope the show lasts for a little while, i think its only been ordered for 13 eps and its very stylized so i feel like people will either love it or hate it and even though the pilot had a good plot and storyline i just don't know what they are going to do week to week...

Yeah... I feel pretty much the same way about this show... I like it, but don't love it yet... it's different which is refreshing. One thing that could get old really fast and therefore very annoying is that the guy can't ever touch the girl again or she'll drop dead. I just don't think that's plausible as people always make mistakes and do things without thinking no matter how well intentioned they might be.

Interesting that he can bring fruit back to life as well, but this seems to have no consequences... or maybe there is a rainforest somewhere that is being destroyed because of his culinary delights

NJZ

[13]Oct 8, 2007
    eMetiB_101 wrote:
    One thing that could get old really fast and therefore very annoying is that the guy can't ever touch the girl again or she'll drop dead.

That's one of the things that really put me off from watching Pushing Daisies and one of the reasons I probably won't ever watch it (unless it comes to UK tv). You just know that, at some point, the guy and the girl are going to fall in love (if they haven't already) and then they'll be all tortured and broody because they can't be together. That kinda stuff pisses me off a lot in tv shows if it isn't delivered right. For example, I totally ship Buffy & Angel because you can actually feel for them coz of the awesome writing and acting. Then there's couples like Clark & Lana (from SV) that just annoy me to no end because they are badly written and repetitive.

electricpeppers

[14]Oct 8, 2007

blufuzycow wrote:
    anyway i was just wondering if anyone's watch Pushing Daises yet, i finally sat down and watched the premier this weekend and i thought it was prety good...

What is Pushing Daisies actually about aside from Wonderfalls guy bringing people/things back to life? Is it a comedy or an off-the-wall drama? I don't understand how a show of that nature could work... the premise seems very limiting. I don't think I will watch it, personally. I liked Wonderfalls though!

NJZ wrote:
    LMAO I remember that scene from 'Enders. And that was back when Eastenders was actually enjoyable. Anyway, before you completely write-off Bionic Woman, I have to tell you that I felt exactly the same about Michelle Ryan. I liked the Zoe character but Michelle wasn't very good at playing her. However, she is so much better in BW. Her accent is a bit weird for the first 20 mins of the pilot, but after that, you just get used to it. I reckon you should give Bionic Woman and Michelle Ryan a try, they might just suprise you.

Lol, indeed. I've started watching Eastenders again, on and off, and God it's soo bad. Ian Beale has gone *poof*, hopefully for good. I'll give BW a go... see what the Pilot is like.

electricpeppers

[15]Oct 8, 2007

Also, I managed to watch Smallville and Supernatural. Smallville was good, it annoys me that the writers are showing us how good the show is without/with minimal Lana. She needs to stay in China; I love Kara LV is a great actor and Grant is... not what I was expecting. He was pretty ruthless to Chloe but I think that seemed truer to a real editors attitude than that which we have seen in the past.

One thing I love about SPN is you know how once a new season of a show starts it tends to feel different, like it seems different despite the fact that the characters are never aware of it? Like Heroes feels different this season what with new characters and characters being absent, new big bad etc. SPN on the other hand always feels somewhat unchangeable every season. I like it, it's 'homely'.

I liked Katie Cassidy, she only had one line but I was worried she would ham the evil up. I don't mind which woman they keep as long as they keep one, the show needs another regular. But anyways I thought it was a great episode. Although, Dean alternated between highly irritating and highly amusing; I hope Sam sorts out Deans soul-demon-deal fairly soon, hedonistic Dean is annoying. I don't want this plot line hanging over the whole season. I mean its silly seeing as neither brother would actually die and stay dead, unless it's the bonafide series finale. So overall, pretty pointless.

Edited on 10/08/2007 1:03pm
    Edited 2 total times.

NJZ

[16]Oct 8, 2007
    electricpeppers wrote:
    NJZ wrote:

Lol, indeed. I've started watching Eastenders again, on and off, and God it's soo bad. Ian Beale has gone *poof*, hopefully for good. I'll give BW a go... see what the Pilot is like.

Weirdly enough, I've been watching Enders on and off again too. It's only coz I want to watch Friends at 8pm but my brother always wants to watch EE and I'm too lazy to get up and walk out of the room. Anyway, I'm not too sure whether you'll like BW from the offset since you seem to prefer shows that are more original in concept and storytelling. You might just find it enjoyable though.

Vital_Shot

[17]Oct 8, 2007
    electricpeppers wrote:

Also, I managed to watch Smallville and Supernatural. Smallville was good, it annoys me that the writers are showing us how good the show is without/with minimal Lana. She needs to stay in China; I love Kara LV is a great actor and Grant is... not what I was expecting. He was pretty ruthless to Chloe but I think that seemed truer to a real editors attitude than that which we have seen in the past.

One thing I love about SPN is you know how once a new season of a show starts it tends to feel different, like it seems different despite the fact that the characters are never aware of it? Like Heroes feels different this season what with new characters and characters being absent, new big bad etc. SPN on the other hand always feels somewhat unchangeable every season. I like it, it's 'homely'.

I liked Katie Cassidy, she only had one line but I was worried she would ham the evil up. I don't mind which woman they keep as long as they keep one, the show needs another regular. But anyways I thought it was a great episode. Although, Dean alternated between highly irritating and highly amusing; I hope Sam sorts out Deans soul-demon-deal fairly soon, hedonistic Dean is annoying. I don't want this plot line hanging over the whole season. I mean its silly seeing as neither brother would actually die and stay dead, unless it's the bonafide series finale. So overall, pretty pointless.

I agree, Smallville was great this past week, but I think Lana SHOULD come back. I wonder how Clark is feeling about the whole thing, and I want to know. I wish she would have killed Lex when he came to her apartment in China, but we all knew she wouldn't do it. The series really entertains me, and keeps me coming back for more.

blufuzycow

[18]Oct 8, 2007
    • level: 19
    electricpeppers wrote:

yeah very little lana is good for both us the viewer and the character but now that she does finally know Clark's secret if and when she comes back they will finally have a new dynamic for them to play, unless Lana undergoes further brain damage which is completely possible and she forgets everything that has happened in the past year...I like super girl so far the interaction between clark and her is fun and i think she really is going to help Clark in his overall journey...I really liked the character of Grant i wasn't sure how i would feel since i have mixed feelings b/c i most relate micheal cassidy with his characters from The OC and Hidden Palms which were just eh but i like that his character seems to have motivation and a purpose, also yay for family rivalry for Chloe and Lois...last thing i want to say in my supposed to be short rant is that Lex cloning Lana might have been a jump the shark moment, i really do not like the way that storyline is being handled...

michael_LB92

[19]Oct 9, 2007
    electricpeppers wrote:
    Heh, same here. I've been attempting to catch up with Smallville and SPN, mostly unsuccessfully. I was too busy watching the last few episodes of Heroes S1 because I couldn't wait any longer. Damn that show is good, I feel bad for ever thinking it was crap.
    That's a nice change of heart. About time, too! I love Heroes, except for 2 things...

Hiro. I mean, I love his character; but I just got so sick of his quest to find some sword; I didn't get why it would get his powers back, or whatever that storyline was supposed to be for.

Also, Niki was constantly driving me insane with her repetetive storyline - but I was glad by the end of the season she stood up to Linderman, beat the crap out of that shape-shifting be-otch, and whacked Sylar with a parking meter. Hopefully she starts to do something interesting after that sort of "step up" from her usual, whiney self.

electricpeppers wrote:

I've never watched Eastenders, but I've heard of it. I tend to stay away from shows that are aired on every weekday ... or shows that are English (but that's only because I think American TV is the only type worth watching these days )

Oh, and I could hardly tell she was English in it. (And I listened for the accent the entire time)

michael_LB92

[20]Oct 9, 2007
    electricpeppers wrote:

I get what you mean, and it is good that a show can stay constant like that; but right now I'm getting a little bored of SPN. It seems every week Sam & Dean just have a fight about Dad and Mum and the Yellow-Eyed Demon (in the first two seasons anyway) and how one of them is acting weird because we live such emotional, dramatic lives!

It's a good show, but they seriously need to cut back on the arguments between them. My brother and I fight less than them!