Veronica Mars Forums

UPN (ended 2007)

Java The Hut - The Official Off Topic Thread

tvfan332

[21]Oct 9, 2007
    • level: 37

michael_LB92 wrote:
    electricpeppers wrote:
    One thing I love about SPN is you know how once a new season of a show starts it tends to feel different, like it seems different despite the fact that the characters are never aware of it? Like Heroes feels different this season what with new characters and characters being absent, new big bad etc. SPN on the other hand always feels somewhat unchangeable every season. I like it, it's 'homely'.
    I get what you mean, and it is good that a show can stay constant like that; but right now I'm getting a little bored of SPN. It seems every week Sam & Dean just have a fight about Dad and Mum and the Yellow-Eyed Demon (in the first two seasons anyway) and how one of them is acting weird because we live such emotional, dramatic lives! It's a good show, but they seriously need to cut back on the arguments between them. My brother and I fight less than them!

Sam and Dean's fighting about the same things constantly can get irritating but I still really like the show . I thought the season three premiere was very good, hopefully the rest of the season will be as good.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tvfan332

[22]Oct 9, 2007

NJZ wrote:
    eMetiB_101 wrote:
    One thing that could get old really fast and therefore very annoying is that the guy can't ever touch the girl again or she'll drop dead.
    That's one of the things that really put me off from watching Pushing Daisies and one of the reasons I probably won't ever watch it (unless it comes to UK tv). You just know that, at some point, the guy and the girl are going to fall in love (if they haven't already) and then they'll be all tortured and broody because they can't be together. That kinda stuff pisses me off a lot in tv shows if it isn't delivered right. For example, I totally ship Buffy & Angel because you can actually feel for them coz of the awesome writing and acting. Then there's couples like Clark & Lana (from SV) that just annoy me to no end because they are badly written and repetitive.

I hate badly written relationships that last too long and don't seem to go anywhere. Clark/Lana from Smallville just seem to go round in circles every single freaking season.

Btw NJZ, are you still watching Alias?

michael_LB92

[23]Oct 10, 2007
    • level: 24
    tvfan332 wrote:

michael_LB92 wrote:
    electricpeppers wrote:
    One thing I love about SPN is you know how once a new season of a show starts it tends to feel different, like it seems different despite the fact that the characters are never aware of it? Like Heroes feels different this season what with new characters and characters being absent, new big bad etc. SPN on the other hand always feels somewhat unchangeable every season. I like it, it's 'homely'.
    I get what you mean, and it is good that a show can stay constant like that; but right now I'm getting a little bored of SPN. It seems every week Sam & Dean just have a fight about Dad and Mum and the Yellow-Eyed Demon (in the first two seasons anyway) and how one of them is acting weird because we live such emotional, dramatic lives! It's a good show, but they seriously need to cut back on the arguments between them. My brother and I fight less than them!

Sam and Dean's fighting about the same things constantly can get irritating but I still really like the show . I thought the season three premiere was very good, hopefully the rest of the season will be as good.

I can't wait to see it. I'm waiting for it to air here, because they're fast-tracking it to this Monday! So I'll only be a few episodes behind America at all times!

electricpeppers

[24]Oct 10, 2007
    • level: 26
    tvfan332 wrote:

michael_LB92 wrote:
    electricpeppers wrote:

Definitely agree with that. I think it was good and enjoyable (for me at least) for the first two seasons, I think this season will be good. The new regulars should bring in some different interactions!

NJZ

[25]Oct 10, 2007
    • level: 29
    tvfan332 wrote:

Yeah, I am. I finished Season 3 just over a month ago. It's an amazing season. It started of slow with the whole Julia Thorne thing but once the Sark-Lauren alliance culminated, the show just got better and better. I'm really eager to watch S4 but it's taking me longer to download than expected. I heard that S4 and S5 aren't as good as the first 3 seasons, do you agree with that?

electricpeppers

[26]Oct 10, 2007
    • level: 26
    I just watched the third Heroes episode 'Kindred' (just in case)
    ***SPOILER***
    Aaand, this has been bothering me. In season 1 when Charlie died because Hiro was unable to 'save her' in the second timeline did she die because of her tuma/blood clot or because Sylar got her? (again). I know Sylar is supposed to be naturally intelligent such is the nature of his original IA power, but he never really seemed like he displayed that extreme memory capacity like Charlie. Anyone know if he got her power?

NJZ

[27]Oct 10, 2007

Has anyone here heard that Gossip Girl got a full season (22 ep) order for Season 1? Click here for the story.

I know some of you like the show but does anyone else find that really annoying? I mean, didn't Veronica Mars do better, in terms of ratings, on the CW than GG has done so far? Yet VM gets cancelled and GG doesn't get the axe. I find that extremely unfair.

And I can't believe Dawn Ostroff has the audacity to praise GG and say it's an "original" show when VM was so much more original in every single aspect yet it was cancelled. Does anyone else smell the bullsh*t?

I hate the CW and don't watch any shows on that network anymore but I sincerely hope that they have the sense to renew the few good shows they do have (e.g Supernatural) and not renew the crap ones. The only reason I'm not hoping the CW crashes and burns is because I think Supernatural deserves a few more seasons but I will feel that way if they do end up cancelling SPN.

NJZ

[28]Oct 10, 2007
    electricpeppers wrote:
    I just watched the third Heroes episode 'Kindred' (just in case)
    ***SPOILER***

I'm glad I'm not the only one who really dislikes the guy. I much prefer Zach, he was sweet. Also, I'm hoping he suffers that fate too lol. As for Charlie, I honestly don't remember if Sylar did get her power or not. He certainly didn't show any enhanced memory capabilities later on, so maybe he didn't have a chance to get to her.

eMetiB_101

[29]Oct 10, 2007
    • level: 36
    NJZ wrote:
    Has anyone here heard that Gossip Girl got a full season (22 ep) order for Season 1? Click here for the story.

I know some of you like the show but does anyone else find that really annoying? I mean, didn't Veronica Mars do better, in terms of ratings, on the CW than GG has done so far? Yet VM gets cancelled and GG doesn't get the axe. I find that extremely unfair.

Yes I saw that story and was royally p!ssed off!!! Unfortunately I don't think VM's ratings were as high as GG's current 2.8 million viewers. VM averaged about 2.5 million as far as I know. I predict that GG's ratings will continue to decline over the remainder of the season. But it's too early to tell if GG's ratings average will dip below VM's...

GG Ratings http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gossip_Girl_%28TV_series%29#U.S._Nielsen_ratings

VM Ratings http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veronica_mars#U.S._television_ratings

NJZ wrote:
    And I can't believe Dawn Ostroff has the audacity to praise GG and say it's an "original" show when VM was so much more original in every single aspect yet it was cancelled. Does anyone else smell the bullsh*t?

Yeah and it really stinks!!! GG is a fraking book rip-off!

Rob Thomas created VM from nothing but ideas in his head - totally original and fresh take on the PI genre and the teen twist is what makes it so awesome and unique. GG has nothing even close to original elements... Sex and the City meets Cruel Intentions... It's all been done before.

NJZ wrote:
    I hate the CW and don't watch any shows on that network anymore but I sincerely hope that they have the sense to renew the few good shows they do have (e.g Supernatural) and not renew the crap ones. The only reason I'm not hoping the CW crashes and burns is because I think Supernatural deserves a few more seasons but I will feel that way if they do end up cancelling SPN.

I absolutely hate The CW for it's poor choices in programming. I still watch Supernatural and Smallville... but all of the new shows pretty much blow chunks IMO.

NJZ

[30]Oct 10, 2007
    I completely agree eMetiB. I thought that VM got higher than 2.5, like atleast 2.9 or something. Whilst I was looking at the wiki pages, I noticed this: "Veronica Mars is the only UPN drama series of the 2004-2005 season to survive into the 2005-2006 season". UPN had enough sense to renew the show because of its critical acclaim but the idiots at The CW didnt.

eMetiB_101

[31]Oct 10, 2007
    • level: 36
    NJZ wrote:
    I completely agree eMetiB. I thought that VM got higher than 2.5, like atleast 2.9 or something. Whilst I was looking at the wiki pages, I noticed this: "Veronica Mars is the only UPN drama series of the 2004-2005 season to survive into the 2005-2006 season". UPN had enough sense to renew the show because of its critical acclaim but the idiots at The CW didnt.

There were a few VM episodes that got around 3.6 million viewers... and I totally agree with the sentiment of that wiki quote

VM got higher ratings when it wasn't challenged by other shows on ABC like Lost... a good indicator that it would have done so much better in the ratings if The CW had of given it a better time slot *idiots*

tvfan332

[32]Oct 10, 2007

NJZ wrote:
    tvfan332 wrote:
    Yeah, I am. I finished Season 3 just over a month ago. It's an amazing season. It started of slow with the whole Julia Thorne thing but once the Sark-Lauren alliance culminated, the show just got better and better. I'm really eager to watch S4 but it's taking me longer to download than expected. I heard that S4 and S5 aren't as good as the first 3 seasons, do you agree with that?

They're both great seasons.

Season 5 was really awesome in my opinion, my favourite season after season one. And season four was my least favourite season but still had it's fair share of awesomeness.

Vital_Shot

[33]Oct 10, 2007
    • level: 25
    I just watched the second episode of Gossip Girl, and I thought it was WAY better than the pilot. The pilot was just setting up the rest of the series, but it was boring to me. Ooh, and I can see Gossip Girl's ratings going WAY down, and I wished they would have renewed Veronica Mars because I REALLY want to see it! I only watch Smallville,Supernatural, One Tree Hill, and Gossip Girl. Occisionally I'll watch other shows just to see how bad the other ones are. I can't believe they put Reaper in Veronica Mars' time slot, because that show reeks, in my opinion; and even if I have never seen one episode of Veronica Mars I know it's better than that.

Vital_Shot

[34]Oct 10, 2007
    Nevermind, I take my statement back about NEVER watching an episode of Veronica Mars. I went back a few pages on another thread and found a site that somebody suggested me to look on for Veronica Mars videos, and I got the pilot to work... and let me just say... I loved it.

michael_LB92

[35]Oct 11, 2007
    eMetiB_101 wrote:
    NJZ wrote:

Yes I saw that story and was royally p!ssed off!!! Unfortunately I don't think VM's ratings were as high as GG's current 2.8 million viewers. VM averaged about 2.5 million as far as I know. I predict that GG's ratings will continue to decline over the remainder of the season. But it's too early to tell if GG's ratings average will dip below VM's...

GG Ratings http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gossip_Girl_%28TV_series%29#U.S._Nielsen_ratings

VM Ratings http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veronica_mars#U.S._television_ratings

NJZ wrote:

Yeah and it really stinks!!! GG is a fraking book rip-off!

Rob Thomas created VM from nothing but ideas in his head - totally original and fresh take on the PI genre and the teen twist is what makes it so awesome and unique. GG has nothing even close to original elements... Sex and the City meets Cruel Intentions... It's all been done before.

NJZ wrote:

I absolutely hate The CW for it's poor choices in programming. I still watch Supernatural and Smallville... but all of the new shows pretty much blow chunks IMO.

I was hoping it would be cancelled!
    Let's also not forget the amount of advertising GG got instead of VM - which is heaps, in case anyone hasn't noticed!
    I am only sticking around for Supernatural and uhh... One Tree Hill

michael_LB92

[36]Oct 11, 2007
    tvfan332 wrote:

NJZ wrote:
    tvfan332 wrote:

Season 5 was really awesome in my opinion, my favourite season after season one. And season four was my least favourite season but still had it's fair share of awesomeness.

I thought season four was kind of a "jump the shark" season. It's always been a bit "sci-fi" like, but the show starts to dip its toes in "supernatural" I think. I'll be as spoiler-free and vague as possible, but a person actually shatters - like a window would. The season four finale also has some "Dawn of the Dead" thing going on, where some city in Russia is invaded with zombies or something.

OK, that last part may not have been as vague, but the point is that the show definitely takes a turn from the "Rambaldi was some really smart scientist prophet guy" to "Rambaldi was a gypsy who cast a potion of immortality that can be unlocked using a dragon's key"... if I'm making sense.

However, some may disagree with me... and it is only a handful of episodes that are entirely unrealistic like that. Besides that, I liked the forth and fifth season (despite the coincidence that all the season three cast somehow all remained in season four despite moving to a top-secret underground branch of the CIA )

OH and one last point, you may notice that season four takes a more "personal" approach to Sydney's life outside of work. I think this was due to the fact that people complained that seasn three didn't focus on Sydney's personal life - you know, without Will and Francie.

IMO, the show goes down in season three. It never quite recovers to it's golden years, but it's still a good show.

michael_LB92

[37]Oct 11, 2007
    Vital_Shot wrote:
    Nevermind, I take my statement back about NEVER watching an episode of Veronica Mars. I went back a few pages on another thread and found a site that somebody suggested me to look on for Veronica Mars videos, and I got the pilot to work... and let me just say... I loved it.

Awesome! The first few episodes, IMO, are a little strange and un-Veronica like, but by the eighth episode or so, I think the show definitely found itself.

Vital_Shot

[38]Oct 11, 2007
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    Vital_Shot wrote:

Awesome! The first few episodes, IMO, are a little strange and un-Veronica like, but by the eighth episode or so, I think the show definitely found itself.

Mm, well I guess it's just setting itself up the first few episodes, but I still thought it was good. I'm liking the whole Kane case thing already, and how Veronica is going to go behind her dad's back to search about it. I'm going to be watching an episode of it each day, and hopefully it'll get good, like you said.

NJZ

[39]Oct 11, 2007
    eMetiB_101 wrote:
    VM got higher ratings when it wasn't challenged by other shows on ABC like Lost... a good indicator that it would have done so much better in the ratings if The CW had of given it a better time slot *idiots*

I concur. Usually it went up against Lost and then Season 3 had to go up against House. House was the second best rated drama last year (second only to CSI). What were the CW thinking putting VM on at the same time as House? And then, on occasion, it had to go up against American Idol too. I think it's stupid how The CW took a show that had bad ratings and then put it in a time-slot that would make it even worse. Tuesdays and Thursdays on tv are bad time slots for shows that alreadys have bad ratings. I really wish they would have given VM a better slot. *sighs* I guess there's no use in dwelling now is there?

NJZ

[40]Oct 11, 2007
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    tvfan332 wrote:

NJZ wrote:
    tvfan332 wrote:

I thought season four was kind of a "jump the shark" season. It's always been a bit "sci-fi" like, but the show starts to dip its toes in "supernatural" I think. I'll be as spoiler-free and vague as possible, but a person actually shatters - like a window would. The season four finale also has some "Dawn of the Dead" thing going on, where some city in Russia is invaded with zombies or something.

OK, that last part may not have been as vague, but the point is that the show definitely takes a turn from the "Rambaldi was some really smart scientist prophet guy" to "Rambaldi was a gypsy who cast a potion of immortality that can be unlocked using a dragon's key"... if I'm making sense.

However, some may disagree with me... and it is only a handful of episodes that are entirely unrealistic like that. Besides that, I liked the forth and fifth season (despite the coincidence that all the season three cast somehow all remained in season four despite moving to a top-secret underground branch of the CIA )

OH and one last point, you may notice that season four takes a more "personal" approach to Sydney's life outside of work. I think this was due to the fact that people complained that seasn three didn't focus on Sydney's personal life - you know, without Will and Francie.

IMO, the show goes down in season three. It never quite recovers to it's golden years, but it's still a good show.

I read all of that even though there were potential spoilers and I mostly agree. I disliked how the show became more "supernatural" in essence when it really wasn't supposed to be. I haven't seen Season 4 but I definitely felt that way about Season 3. It felt like they were trying to mix every genre into one show, and although it was enjoyable, it did feel kinda wrong. I haven't seen Lost, but doesn't it pretty much do the same thing?

I'm glad to hear S4 is more personal like Seasons 1 & 2. I felt that that was what was really missing from Season 3. They did try to incorporate it with Syd hanging out with Weiss but it was never the same as it was with Francie and Will

The only thing I really disagree with you on is about Season 3. I don't think it the show went downhill. Season 3 did feel very different to it's previous seasons, but it was still pretty great.