Veronica Mars

UPN (ended 2007)

ZapperLife

Veronica Mars Fan Reviews (770)

• Veronica Mars....A Show that Will Stand the Test of Time

There has been no show that has stayed with me the way Veronica Mars has long after it has ended...its dialogue, the characters, its original take on noire...it is a show that I will watch off and on for the rest of my life.

I was intrigued as soon as I heard Veronica say in the pilot, "you want to know how I lost my virginity? So do I..." but it was mid first season that I knew this was something special. The heart of the show, I believe, is the relationship between Veronica and Keith, which really comes to fruition in the 1st season finale and the start of season 2, and Kristen and Enrico bring a tenderness and depth to their portrayal of father and daughter who are sometimes at odds but always have each others backs that has never been seen before or since.

Veronica Mars does something that is incredibly difficult to pull off: it creates a mystery arc that it sustains with enough twists and turns to keep you guessing ( and more importantly, interested), which is already difficult enough...but it does the nearly impossible...it has that arc and mystery pay off in the end..and it pays off in spades!

Veronica Mars greatest achievement though may be that it follows a season as inspired as its 1st with what some argue is an even better season 2, continuing its superior writing with a season and mystery that is connected somewhat to the 1st but stands on its own: it does not make the classic mistake of making the 2nd season of a successful show feel like just more episodes of the 1st, I'll be honest, I didn't think they would be able to do it...man was I pleasantly surprised.

Thre you have it, my diatribe about Veronica Mars.... it is a show I cannot recommend highly enough. The combination of clever, original writing (of which no other show can hold a candle to, with the possible exception of DEXTER) and a cast so perfectly chosen you can't imagine anyone else playing these roles, led of course by the mercurial Kristen Bell, who infuses Veronica with such heart and grace, snark and wit, that had this show been on a major network, I truly believe Kristen would have nominated for, and deserved to win, emmy awards. She is that good. I guess you could say I'm a fan! haha

Side note: My favourite episode is Season 2's "Not Pictured" , the season finale that I would put up against anything on television, past or present, for pure drama, writing, and performance. Period.

cheers, Kevin