Vikings

The Choice

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Apr 24, 2014 on The History Channel

• Saxons from the future

If you're reading this you like the show, maybe even love it. I sure do.

And that's partly because of the authenticity of the series. I feel deeply immersed because it's believable.

Of course I'm willing to make concessions, I don't like nitpicking - after all it's entertainment, not a documentary.

But I *do* have some basic historic knowledge of the era and more importantly - common sense.

This rather great episode was ruined for me by the battle against the saxons. I love the battle scenes in Vikings, so I was looking forward to some fighting, if you know what I mean.

Remember the picture of the aprox. two hundred heavily armored saxon knights storming against our beloved northmen?

Dramatic, wasn't it? You might've thought: "That's bad!"

Well, I thought: "That's impossible!"

Let's start with the horses. There was no standing cavalry. Who could've afford horses only for war? There were a dozen farm horses, but cavalry worth mentioning didn't turn up for at least two hundred years later.

And all in full armor? Everyone? Plus helmet, expensive sword and steel (!) shields. You wouldn't have found enough iron for that army in whole of England at that time. No cheap spears?

And don't get me started on the helmets. 14th and 15th century!

With that army those selfproclaimed kings of a few marshes and some dozen villages could've conquered the whole of europe.

I have nothing against dramaturgical exaggeration, but in a movie say in the Napoleonic Era I don't want the prussians defeat Napoleon with tanks and Apache helicopters - it ruins the believability for me.

What do *you* guys think? Am I too harsh?