Voltron: Defender of the Universe

Coran's Son Runs Amuck

Aired Unknown Nov 02, 1984 on

• Though you can see the censorship-driven plot holes, its still a good build-up...

In GoLion, Raible (Coran) learns once and for all that his wife and child were killed in the early attacks. Even though we are told in Voltron that the two emigrated to another dimension (How DBZ of them), Coran will never see them again, so its the same difference. There is a sadness and a feeling of regret. One would think that anytime the dead come back on Arus, the heroes would look for Lotor and Haggar, but they are after all Human. I'm personally glad that Nanny did better than her counterpart, Lady Hys, but since we never see her again until the third season, it again strikes at being the same difference.

Still, the cannon sequences are awesome, and our heroes' battles are cool and full of action, and Coran keeps our respect by tendering his resignation, which his daughter-in-all-but-name naturally refuses. Best of all, the robeast/scheme of the week is actually part of a progressive storyline leading to the season finale. Still, one wishes Zarkon and Lotor would wait sometimes before telling their pawn that they are just a pawn. Seems as counterproductive as sending out drone ships.