Wacky Races

CBS (ended 1970)

Wacky Races Fan Reviews (17)

7.8
  • A racing classic show that will be there forever.

This show could have problem but, the only thing that it needs to work on is the errors. One time Dick Dastardly actually won the race without cheating. But the judges think that he cheated. No! He won the race. So that scene was pointless. I can understand because of the cliche the good guys always win. another time is the slow mo gas. How could Dick dastardly moved to last place when everyone was slow. Unless Muttley used excessive amount of that gas. Like I said this racing show is a classic. 97/100 Awesome.
  • This is a classic favourite.

I love this show. I take time to watch it on most of my days. Im thrilled at the fact that Dastardly never wins although it would be nice to see him win at least once in a while. Anyway i love that Penny Pitsop is in this too, this makes for a great spin off for the her show and for Dick Dastardly and Muttley as well. Honestly I don't know why it just didn't carry on with more shows, but anyway its still a good programme. It has to be one of Hanna-Barbera Produtions best. I also love how they later incorporate this show into Dexter's Laboratory, it made for great comedy.
  • A highly addictive cult favorite.

The TV series "Wacky Races" is a bit like Coca-Cola: even if we know that it has its faults, you can't help savouring it, it's so addictive.

Just ask to whoever likes the series. Of course there are animation mistakes. The continuity is often arguable and many scenes are predictable. But who cares? It's just too damn fun to watch.

So what's so attractive about that series? It's surely not because of the animation. At each race, you can see cars running off-road without altering their driving. The animation, should it be said, is much like any Hanna-Barbera cartoon: minimalist and unpretentious.

The stories are well built, even if many have a lot of continuity mistakes. And if you want to witness Dick Dastardly failing with all of his tricks, there's a lot to love here, but you'd be better served if you tune in to the Road Runner Show.

I think that the charm of the series is the drivers themselves. There are eleven cars overall and twenty-three participants, if we don't count the omni-present narrator who describes and sometimes intervene into the action.

Honestly, I love to see Dick Dastardly and Muttley trying to sabotage the race and to systematically eliminate each driver, but I like even more to watch the interaction between the other drivers. Each car owns its own characteristics and all of the drivers (and their co-drivers) are very colorful, which makes them irresistible.

Even if the series was originally broadcast at the end of the 60s, it hasn't aged one bit. To prove it, there are new fans with each passing year. At the point that the Goodwood Festival of Speed in England has built life-size replicas of the cars and they participate in friendly races, much to the happiness of the fans and of those who are not but who find these unusual cars rather funny.

Almost each race is competed on a track linking two American localities. The majority of the races take place on a rural track. I find these races less interesting, because they're too much ordinary. We see too many farms, woods and flat landscapes. I rather have a knack for the highly original tracks which come in once in a while, like those ones:
    - By Rollercoaster to Upsan Downs (ancient theme park)
    - The Wrong Lumber Race (deep forest)
    - The Great Cold Rush Race & The Ski Resort Road Race (snowy landscapes)
    - Oils Well That Ends Well (oil shafts)
    - The Dipsy Doodle Desert Derby (Death Valley desert)
    - Overseas Hi-Way Race (Florida Keys)

There are also a few highlight moments that I have to mention here. The very first race (See-Saw to Arkansas), for example, ends with an unforgettable photo finish and the second one (Creepy Trip to Lemon Twist) ends with the "disqualification" of Dick Dastardly, which still fuels debates among the show's die-hard fans.

If you're lucky enough to find a TV channel that still broadcasts the show, then you have to watch it. Or you can try to find the DVD box set which includes every episode of the show. Then you'll see how much fun it is.
  • Competing for the tile of the world's wackiest racer, this was one amazing show!

There are cartoons that deserve to be on the cartoon Hall of Fame, and this one is one of them. The show tells us the adventures and misadventures of a group of racers who fight on order to get to the finish line, using some of the craziest vehicles and gadgets that anyone has seen in a cartoon. Among the most memorable characters, we have Penelope Pitstop, the Ant Hill Mob, the Slag Brothers, Peter Perfect, and fo course the villanous duo Dick Dastardly and his canine sidekick, Muttley. All fo them, and other characters contributed to create a series where you couyld actually choose your own racer, and see if he made it to the finish line before the others, while hoping to see also Dick Dastardly and Muttley winning a race (which only happened once, and they were disqualified for cheating, which doesn't make much sense because everyone cheated, one way or another). The humour was fresh, and even though you know that whenever Dick Dastardly and Muttley were up to something, you would be surprised with what they would come up in order to stop or slow down the other racers, just to get a better shot to end up in first place. Thank God they did this, otherwise we would have never seen the spin-offs "Dastardly and Muttley in their Flying Machines" and "The Perils of Penelope Pitstop", nnot to mention that the series also served as inspiration for "Captain Caveman". A big 10 is in order for this one, as far as I'm concerned.
  • A race between some racers in some very unusual cars.

Another 1960's classic.

Dick Dastardy & Muttley in "The Mean Machine" race against other members of "The Wacky Races" but spends too much time trying to cheat. There were a couple of times where Dick Dastardly almost won the race....However, he was disqualified for extending the front end of his car across the finish line. Additionally, he stopped at the finish line to sign an autograph for Muttley. Finally he stopped at the finish line to get his picture taken.

A few of the names have double meanings:
    IE: Pat Pending....a gag referring to the label seen in copyrighted material.

You must love Muttley's wheezing laugh. It's too funny.
  • this show helped change cartoons

Wacky races was a hannah barberah production. It had 34 eppisodes. Let me tell you, funny random charectors racing and cheating already sounds funny when you first hear it. Even though I love it I must say if you've seen one you've seen them all. I love the show, all of them are funny but all are the same. dick dasterdly cheats and loses every time. But what I love is that every charector cheats, not just Dick Dasterdly. This cartoon helped reveloutionize cartoons along with other great cartoons like looney tunes, scooby doo, and Tom and Jerry.I love this classic show, but you either love it or you think its stupid. I recomend this show for all to watch.
  • One of the more influential of the mid-60s Hanna-Barbara cartoons.

This fondly remembered pure piece of action showed a dozen racers using tricked up racers that would make James Bond's Q drool, if you ever want to start a discussion among middle aged cartoon freaks ask them to name the racers and their vehicles. Number one was the Bouldermobile, driven by Rock and Gravel. It was a rock on wheels, sort of like what Fred Flintstone drove, only a little less sophisticated. As were Rock and Gravel. Number two was the Creepy Coupe, a haunted house on wheels, The Gruesome Twosome drove, but the various supernatural inhabitants of the car did all the work, from additional speed to the occasional dirty trick. Number three was the Convertacar, driven by Professor Pat Pending. A transformer that makes Optimus Prime look like a wannabe, this rolling Swiss army knife could do just about anything but win consistently. Number four was the Crimson Haybailer, driven by the prerequisite Prussian, WWI ace The Red Max. His vehicle had one of the better names, but one of the poorer vehicles, lacking most of the comic accessories of the others. Number five was the Compact Puddycat ( TV.com wont allow me to use the real title of the car as the language is offensive ) anyway it was driven by Penelope Pitstop, southern belle and token female. More an automated beauty salon on wheels than a racer.

Number six was The Army Surplus Special, driven by Sargeant Blast and Private Meekly. It may not have been the fastest, but it carried the most firepower. Number seven is the vehicle which is sure to cause the most geeky argument. The Ant Hill Mob drives a vehicle called "their Bulletproof Bomb" in the opening credits but which is referred to during one of the episodes as The Roaring Plenty. Whatever the name, it had no special features except for the hole in the floor which allowed the Mob to put their collective feet to good use. This team also would find a second chance at stardom in The Perils of Penelope Pitstop. Number eight, The Arkansas Chugabug, was the pride and joy of hillbilly Luke and his cowardly bear, Blubber. Hard to say what needed the most explanation - how a plank on wheels with a potbellied stove could go 0-60 in 5 seconds, or how Luke managed to steer it. Number nine was the Turbo Terrific, driven by Peter Perfect. Another great name for a car with no real ability except to go to pieces on a regular basis. Number ten was The Buzzwagon, driven by Rufus Ruffcut and his beaver co-pilot, Sawtooth. This log cabin with saw-blade wheels must have been hard on the backside, but I imagine the superhumanly strong Rufus could handle it. Certainly he had no problems with traction. Finally, car 00 was The Mean Machine, driven by Dick Dastardly and Muttley. As versatile as the Convertacar and as well armed as the Surplus Special, it also went to pieces far too often, due to its villainous driver's evil plans. Dick and Muttley would get their own show together, but it would be Muttley with his distinctive snicker who would go on to appear again and again in other cartoons.
  • One of the Better Saturday Morning Cartoons

One of the best reason why I watch Saturday morning cartoon,(I have very few reasons) is "Wacky Races." This film may been inspired from the 1965 film "The Great Race." This is Hanna-Barbars's best Saturday morning cartoon show. I can recall as a kid, I can't wait to get up in the morning and racing to my TV set to see those racers going down the road. Is this is heaven, so be it. The racers are a montley crew of fun characters ranging from Dick Dastardly and Muttley to Penelope Pitstop and the Ant Hill Mob. Although the show lasted for two years, it was wroth it.
  • NASCAR never gets this wild!

Man, did I love this show as a kid. I always looked forward to watching this show on Saturday mornings. One of Hanna-Barbera's best- not quite the classic as "The Flintstones" but right up there. Unfortunately, this show only lasted two years. The spinoffs were OK but weren't up to par with "Wacky Races". It was neat how each of the 11 cars were so unique- my favorites were the Army Surplus Special, the Buzzmobile and Dick Dastardly and Muttley. Even though Dastardly and Muttley were supposed to be the "bad guys", you had to love 'em! Dastardly's evil chuckle and Muttley's snicker are timeless.
  • Its a show about cars racing and its a cartoon. What else do I have to say.

This is my favorite cartoon show becasue it always has a bad guy wanting to gang up on all of the other competitors. Its just fun to watch and see who wins the race. I always had my pick and my brother always had a contest to see who would win.
  • Great

I love this show. At the time it was way ahead of its time. You could not help but laugh at all of he crazy characters they had assembled for these wacky races. Anyone wh does not like this show should not be able to watch tv at all ever again. I love Wacky Races!!!
  • A show I loved for it's complete craziness!

This is one of the wackiest shows I have ever seen, yet I loved it! Dastardly and Muttley were so hilarious in this series when they were cheating to win all the time, but never did! A very original show that had it's own style! This show proves that wacky shows can come out on top!
  • Wacky Races was a Saturday morning cartoon show which ran on CBS from 1968 to 1970.

This show had a great concept. The character designs of the characters and especially the cars were one of the best from Hanna-Barbera. I remembered watching this cartoon show during the 1969-1970 2nd season and I loved it! Until Cartoon Network started showing this cartoon on it's network, the only thing I remembered about this show, up to that time, was the character of the professor and his car (that was a great car design!). I was so glad to see it again and I remembered why I loved it! Of course, Dastardly and Muttley were the standouts, but I was also glad to see Penelope Pitstop and the Ant Hill Gang together in their own series.
  • Pretty good

This show is about 8 or 9 racers and one of them is always trying to stop the others by making traps but he always coomes out last. His little dog who mostely makes his plans go wrong is his sidekick. In all wackey races is a realy funny show
  • Cannonball Run before Cannonball Run and a cartoon to boot!

All I remember clearly was loving Penelope Pitstop and Muttley, yet I did wish Penelope didn't yell so much. Ah, pre-feminist awareness!

Yeah, some racers tried dirty tricks to get ahead, but the show had stricter limits then, and made sure that justice happened even if fairness didn't win out at the finish line.

Still, the wordplay and backgrounds were chock full of gags and jokes, pointedly current and timesless jumbled together in a crazy stew of humor that never really stopped. If you missed one joke there were plenty comin' to go for!

With age the gags are probably easier to get and adds a layer to the funny, no doubt.

I recommend this series because it's just funny.
  • Cartoon racing - what more could you ask for?

7.2
    What more could you ask for with racing featuring your favorite cartoon characters? Characters include an assortment of many other characters that race for ground supremecy. Sometimes, they even resort to cheating to win which makes for an evil livelier show. Everyone will enjoy this show from the start to the finish (of the series I mean; no pun intended)!
  • Wacky Races is a show about 11 cars and there cross-country race to different locations. One of the characters, Dick Dastardly, always tries to stop the racers. However, he is always foiled in his plans. So throw away the rule book, and start your engines

Wacky Races is a one of a kind show. A show of it's kind has never been created after it was cancelled. I haven't seen every episode, but I wil when I get the DVD. The 11 cars and drivers are the slag brothers in the boulder mobile (a car made of rock ), The Gruesome Twosome ( Big Guresome and Lil' Gruesome) in the creepy coupe (a haunted house on wheels complete with dragon), Proffesor Pat Pending in the Convert-a-car (a car made of different parts that can turn into almost anything, thr Red Max in the Crimson Haybailer (a bi-plane inspired by WW1), Penelope Pitstop in the Compact Pussycat (a girl's dream car), Sargent Blast and Private meekly in the Army Surplus Special (the sweetest tank ever), the Anthill Mob (Clyde, Ring-a-ding, Kurby, Nilly, Mac, Danny, and Rug-bug Benny) in the Bulletproof Bomb (a classic mobster car), Lazy Luke and Blubber Bear in the Arkansas Chug-a-Bug (a hillbilly car that's falling apart), Peter Perfect in the Turbo Terrific (a long hotrod type car), Rufus Ruffcut and Sawtooth in the Buzzwagn (a car made of wood and sawblades for wheels), and the sneeky Dick Dastardly and his sidekick Muttley in the Mean Machine (it even looks evil). I reccomend you watch at least one episode and maybe you'll watch it again. I did and I still am.