Wagon Train Forums

NBC (ended 1965)

Wagon Train

giantsfan2401

[1]Feb 5, 2006
    • level: 4
    Does anyone know if this show is airing anywhere? I would love to see it!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lowjack9

[2]Jul 31, 2006
    • level: 1
    It used to be on Hallmark channels "Rough N Ready Saturday", but they took it off so they could play more "important" shows such as Matlock and Walker, Texas Ranger. Brilliant idea Hallmark-NOT!!!!

mujerado

[3]May 12, 2007
    • level: 2

Were they showing the older Ward Bond episodes, or the later John McIntyre ones? Those were still good, but I remember most fondly the earlier ones.

I can remember the last Ward Bond episode, completed by John Ford after he died, in honor of their many years together. Frank McGrath did the "Wagons Ho" for that one, as the visuals had been shot, but it hadn't been dubbed yet; and there was a silhouette appearance by John Wayne, in remembrance of his longtime friend. I'd love to see some of those old episodes again.

Movie stars didn't do much television in those days, but they considered Wagon Train a showcase, because it had such a huge, loyal audience on Wednesday nights. Bette Davis herself did at least two, playing in one a woman taking her charge of dance-hall girls west. I believe that was "The Elizabeth McQueeny Story."

And I've always wished I could find a recording of the original opening theme. It was written by Jerome Moross, and was later replaced by the instrumental one also by him now available on several different TV theme collections. There was a male vocalist singing "Roll along, Wagon Train..." I always thought the replacement was wimpy by comparison.

lowjack9

[4]May 15, 2007
    They showed the original black and white eps (with Bond and Robert Horton) from episode #1 on in order. They were Wagon Train and not the  Major Adams Trailmaster syndicated versions. The later colorized versions with Robert Fuller and McIntyre were not shown on hallmark. Too bad Hallmark decided to stop showing all these great westerns all day and night on Saturdays. It was a blast while it lasted.

tvking1

[5]Apr 3, 2008
    • level: 42
    I can remember the "Major Adams" syndicated airings around 1970 or so. It seemed to have a different theme tune, not the ones that were done over the course of the original run. Anybody know anything about a possible DVD release?

daveblyth

[6]May 17, 2009
    • level: 15

I'm a Wagon Train fan living in the UK and fondly remember the show screening on ITV on a Monday evening at 8.00 p.m. I'v recently purchased both DVD sets released by Timeless Media - a 12 episode compilation 3DVD Set of black and white episode from many seasons and a 16 DVD Set of the complete colour season when the episodes were 90 minutes long and 16 further Black and white episodes from across the seasons. I'm thoroughly enjoying watching these episodes and delighted that the story lines, by and large, stand the test of time a half a century on from their original screening. Would love to exchange memories and views on individual episodes with any other fans of this wonderful series. Would also be interested to learn of any other sources for other episodes of this series.

Water78

[7]Aug 1, 2009
    • level: 47
    i saw it on retro tv

Deavolos

[8]Jan 25, 2011
    • level: 2

Wagon Train is NOW on Encore Western Weekdays at about 6pm eastern 5pm mountain

michaelcarraher

[9]Mar 20, 2011
    • level: 3

Wagon Train is currently showing on Encore Westerns. Seasons one through Ward Bond's last episode in season four are available for instant viewing on Netflix.

gunsmoked

[10]May 1, 2011
    Encore's showing of Wagon Train Series is set to record, everyday, on my DVD. I absolutely love this show. Where else can you see famous folks like Bette Davis, Ernest Borgnine, Ed Wynn, etc as gueststars? Could anyone imagine Tom Cruise guest starring on a show in this day & age?
    It's a strong testament to the quality of this shows production.

Read much on the discord between Ward Bond & Robert Horton, which is why the show started splitting them up & 1 episode would say tonight starring Ward Bond & the next episode would be Horton. Also gave them both a break from the hard rigors & long hours of being a principle character on a weekly show.

Recall day Ward Bond suddenly passed away from a heart attack while visiting Dallas for a football game in Nov 1960. Was in car with my folks & it came across the radio, I cried all the way home.