Wagon Train

NBC (ended 1965)

Wagon Train Fan Reviews (3)

• Wanted to move west after this show.

This and the Beverly Hillbillies made Calfifornia look good. Thank god I never moved there.

The show was great and was a family viewing event. Made for a good childhood.
  • This program is quite simply a classic.

It has been a while since I have written a review, and I usually write reviews of episodes. However, I bought the DVDs of one season of Wagon Train and have been thoroughly enjoying them. I remember watching Wagon Train as a child, but I don't remember specific episodes. I'm guessing that it is one of the reasons that I have had a life-long love of the western -- Wagon Train, The Rifleman, Maverick, Sugar Foot, The Big Valley, The Virginian, Laredo, The High Chaparral, etc. Some of these programs I haven't seen since I was a youngster, but I have found that the difference with Wagon Train is that it could stand up today. The characters are not one-dimensional. All sorts of folk are treated with respect that was not always found in classic television. There are stories about women, not just men. Furthermore, I have been astonished at the quality of actors guest starring in this program, e.g., Barbara Stanwick, Ed Begley, Carol Lawrence, Carolyn Jones, Suzanne Pleschette, Brian Keith, Michael Rennie, Tommy Sands, Ann Blyth, and many more. I highly recommend Wagon Train, particularly Season 7. I am looking forward to trying to find DVDs of the rest of the series.
  • This was a classic TV Western drama.

Wagon Train was one of the first and one of the best westerns to ever appear on television. Even beyond that, it is one of the better shows on television period. The writing was so good that it still holds up to today's standards. The regular cast was outstanding. The guest starts were absolutely fantastic. In this time period of television many famous actors would make appearances on great television shows such as this. Then there were the up and coming actors that would go on to become huge stars and used this as a springboard of sorts. All in all a great show that can still be watched today without missing a beat.