Wagon Train

NBC (ended 1965)

NiteWatch

Wagon Train Fan Reviews (3)

• This program is quite simply a classic.

It has been a while since I have written a review, and I usually write reviews of episodes. However, I bought the DVDs of one season of Wagon Train and have been thoroughly enjoying them. I remember watching Wagon Train as a child, but I don't remember specific episodes. I'm guessing that it is one of the reasons that I have had a life-long love of the western -- Wagon Train, The Rifleman, Maverick, Sugar Foot, The Big Valley, The Virginian, Laredo, The High Chaparral, etc. Some of these programs I haven't seen since I was a youngster, but I have found that the difference with Wagon Train is that it could stand up today. The characters are not one-dimensional. All sorts of folk are treated with respect that was not always found in classic television. There are stories about women, not just men. Furthermore, I have been astonished at the quality of actors guest starring in this program, e.g., Barbara Stanwick, Ed Begley, Carol Lawrence, Carolyn Jones, Suzanne Pleschette, Brian Keith, Michael Rennie, Tommy Sands, Ann Blyth, and many more. I highly recommend Wagon Train, particularly Season 7. I am looking forward to trying to find DVDs of the rest of the series.