Wallander

Faceless Killers

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 03, 2010 on BBC

• Dry (British) Swede Mystery

Not having seen any other Wallander's, either of the first three KB episodes or any of the native Swede efforts this was a good-ish intro to the series. Right away it is a little disconcerting that every character speaks "British", a variety of UK accents; city, country, which makes it seem the whole deal is set in Northern England somewhere. Probably better than if the actors were talking with faux Swedish accents but I would prefer a completely Swedish language/subtitle English film as per the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", which for some reason is being remade in English, but I digress. Back to "Faceless Killers", Kenneth Branagh's Wallander is a moody, pensive sort, makes for a little boring TV after a while watching a guy think. The murder mystery unfolds after a while, it's reasonably plotted. The cinematography has some above average scenes, some stereotypical; the lone tree on the horizon, left side of frame, the wind waving fields of grain. At the end I didn't really perceive a real "Swedishness", only a vague Euro/English PBS Mystery feel to it all.