Wallander Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on BBCBetween Seasons

Why do you like Wallander?

Heather_H

[1]Jul 10, 2009
    • level: 35
    Why do you like Wallander?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Fenny147

[2]Jul 13, 2009
    • level: 1
    Wallander - it had so much promise and never lived up to it. I watched the first episode and thought it tedious and badly done. I'm sure if I read the books, I'd enjoy them, but I thought Mr Branagh might have managed to be involved in something less dull. I see it's moving to BBC4. That really says it all, doesn't it?

angeland8

[3]Aug 12, 2009
    • level: 10
    I've been a fan of books by H.Mankell, so I decided to watch the tv-show. Not bad. Maybe not perfect, but I'd like to see another episode.

skippercollecto

[4]Oct 18, 2010
    • level: 15

I think the series is rather depressing and very gruesome and I do not like TV shows and movies that are taped in that fake contemporary black-and-white appearance (that is, the filmmakers use a filter to block out red, yellow, orange, pink and light green). So why do I watch it? I will watch anything with Kenneth Branagh.

MsAnalytical

[5]Nov 9, 2011
    • level: 3

Kenneth Branagh is reason enough! I started reading the books after watching the first episode of Wallander. The books (as always) are so much better than the shows. Branagh seems to capture the essence of Wallander. He is a very flawed character, but he wants to have better relationships, he has dreams, but it always slips away or he does something to make the situation worse. He just seems so real, and Branagh's sleep deprived eyes and emotionally charged yet repressed representation is wonderful to watch. I also love the cinematography. I do not think that the series is a good representation of the books and I think they changed a bit too much back story in the shows.