A Warehouse 13 Community
Syfy (ended 2014)

Warehouse 13 S04E18: "Lost & Found"

OMG Nick bronzed our Claudia. Nick is so going down. He also apparently defied his mom by going on the run with the alchemist Parcelsus (Anthony Head because it's like a Buffy reunion this season or something), and I would eagerly anticipate Evil Mommy Charlotte going all, well, evil on him—but apparently Charlotte has been demoted from villain to probable hero and all of her past evildoing has been in an attempt to ditch the immortality thing that she and her son (and husband, wherever he is) have going on because immortality ain't all it's cracked up to be. Duh. We all read Tuck Everlasting in elementary school—well, all of us except Nick, because he's been stuck at age 15 for the past 500 years. No wonder he's so irate. Five hundred years of being stuck at the worst part of puberty. 

When a ping led Artie, Myka, and Pete to a cache of artifacts stolen during the transition between Warehouse 12 and Warehouse 13, Charlotte decided to play nice in order to, she hoped, get her hands on the Philosopher's Stone (yes, Pete, like from Harry Potter), which could reverse her family's sucky immortality. I think we know what artifact is going to come into play with Myka's cancer storyline. 

I've had—and continue to have—my doubts about Warehouse 13's ability to not turn Myka's storyline into a travesty, but all things considered, this episode did okay. I especially liked the repeated fake-outs of Myka revealing her unfortunate news to her team and highlighting a range of possible responses from Pete. 

Myka's outburst over Charlotte's quest to become mortal was also very well done. Under normal circumstances, Myka would have more than likely signed up for Team Mortality because it's generally acknowledged that living forever would suck after a generation or two of watching everyone you love drop dead a la the aforementioned Tuck Everlasting, every vampire book ever, Foreveretc. However, when you've been handled a possible death sentence in the middle of your prime, it becomes a lot harder to listen to the immortal chick whine about how unfair eternal life is and not resent her just a wee bit. 

Myka has been written very honestly and unflinchingly human in the wake of her diagnosis . The introduction of the Philosopher's Stone as an artifact that grants (or un-grants?) immortality seems to slide right into Myka's story as the artifact that could save her, giving the warehouse agents a more pressing reason to team up with Charlotte in search of its other half. However, artifacts tend to have their downsides, and even though Warehouse 13 has been very lax lately with what used to be a stiffer "no artifacts for personal use" rule, the question of whether immortality is the best cure for Myka's cancer in the long run is a question that she'll have to face in her conflicted state. This has the potential to be a really great—if somewhat predictable—storyline. 

Also, why do we have to go right for the immortality-granting artifact? Is there nothing out there in the stacks that could help Myka out in a less-extreme way?

We're in the homestretch, which means the Library of Crazy has to get extra crazy to make it all worth while—something which is all the more apparent following a slew of generally boring episodes since the mid-season premiere back in April. Nick effortlessly played on Claudia's eagerness to collect strays like herself and to pay the goodwill Artie and Mrs. Frederic showed her forward (which makes him especially awfulof course) and bypassed all of Claudia's fancy security to run amok in the warehouse while Steve was whammied into doing paperwork with the magic of magnets. 

All of the manipulation and sneaking into the warehouse was part of Charlotte and Nick's original plan—but just as Charlotte appeared to make nice with Artie and the others, Nick decided to go off-script and embrace his eternal teenage rebellion, un-bronze an alchemist, and hit the road, leaving a bronzed Claudia and a destroyed bronzer in his and Evil Giles' wake. Next week is Season 4's penultimate episode, and while I think we're in a good place, story-wise, as we head into the last two episodes of the season, I still wish we hadn't preceded what's shaping up to be a generally enjoyable storyline with so many inconsequential one-shots. 

Okay, I'll stop whining now. "Lost & Found" continued the improvement that last week's "What Matters Most" started in terms of giving this aimless half of the season some much needed direction and I couldn't be more delighted.  While the consequences don't seem as dire as the usual "save the world from apocalyptic destruction," the Myka angle has given Warehouse 13 a smaller-scale, more personal story that is no less important than the usual sweeping heroics. As we gear up for the final season, bringing the warehouse crew back together and adding the immediacy of trying to save one of their own builds on what has always been Warehouse 13's greatest strength—its characters. 

NOTES FROM THE LIBRARY OF CRAZY

– "It's time for my 3am sandwich." "It's 1am." "Still on East Coast time." 

– The smokey ghost/monster thing was a big special effects improvement over the cheapo lava. It was actually kind of cool-looking. 

– The one honest thing that Nick said to Steve was that he wanted a normal life. So I guess there's hope for him. Or something.

– Abigail keeps disappearing. Not a sight of her this week. It's like she's only around when we explicitly need to talk about our feelings. 

– What did you think of the episode? 

– How do you think the Myka/Charlotte/Nick/Philosopher's Stone story will play out?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/19/2014

Season 5 : Episode 6

38 Comments
Comments (35)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Ha, I didn't latch onto the stone being the cure for Myka's cancer, that could very well be, good call. I still would prefer they just go with "Nick changed the results". That said, the immortality angle was played up BEFORE the cancer angle when we first met these characters in the season premiere.
Flag
'I have this place locked down tighter than Ms Fredric's weave...' Oh Claudia....:) I would have loved to see CCH Pounder stroll in behind her after that line.

Anthony Stuart Head!!! Am I the only person that remembers the 'Taster's Choice' commercials where he was introduced to American audiences? Why does this network, SyFy not have Marsters in the epis with Polly Walker? They are wonderful together which we learned from 'Caprica', another one of Jane Espensen's gone too soon shows. The Myka story is working too well. Ms Kelly is breaking my heart in her scenes. I have a worry that she may not be coming back for the final season so don't assume her story is going to have a happy ending. The young Canadian actor playing Nick needs Jordan Gavaris' ("Orphan Black") dialect coach to work on his British accent.)
Flag
You're not the only one who remembers those commercials. ASH was also King Uther on Merlin which recently ended its run on SyFy/BBC a few weeks/months ago. Overall a good episode that looks like it's going to lead to a thrilling season finale since it seems the bronzed Claudia is in danger of crumbling apart.
Flag
Wasn't there an artifact that transfers diseases last season? Charlotte wants to die but can't, Myka doesn't want to die just yet...it makes perfect sense.
Flag
ugh this Nick storyline is going to get on my last damn nerve. he annoys me so much.. and he looks super weird. and that fake British accent? give me a break.
Flag
I would love to see just one female villain who CHOOSES the dark side and COMMITS to it.
Instead of the usual well intentioned with questionable tactics, sees the error of their ways and/or seeks redemption, and my least favorite coerced/manipulated.
Keeping in mind baddies of the week and and full on psychopaths don't count.
Flag
Irene Adler.
Flag
Yea, pretty much just her and Lilah Morgan
Flag
Good to have Artie cracking the with funny again.
Shame the writers didn't drop a Pretty Polly line in this pirate ep. though,
Flag
Very good episode to me. Myka's cancer storyline makes things much more interesting, as well as Charlotte and Nick being IMMORTAL (WOW!!), and Parcelsus entering the show. Claudia being bronzed totally shocked me!!! I love it!!! Don't get me wrong, I was pissed for Claudia given Nick totally betrayed her, but the ending was a shocker. Plus, we have no idea what Parcelsus's intentions are, as well as Charlotte's husband. Gotta love ideas here.

Myka's grief was acted out well to me too. It's clearly obvious that the fun of WH 13 will be put on hold for a while, and I applaud WH 13 for doing that, cause they're keeping it real. The anguish on her face and in her voice, as well as Charlotte exclaiming that her immortality is quite the hinderance, felt very geniuine. At first I thought "What is Charlotte complaining about" but when she explained it, it made perfect sense. Also liked the visions of Pete's reactions. Well done!!!!

Pete cracked me up when he did the pirate voice, turned that wheel and opened that trap door under Artie!! LMFAO!!!
Flag
Staff
Yay! It was definitely one of the better episodes we've had lately. I'm surprised by how good the Myka stuff has been. I hope they keep it up!
Flag
Whew!! oh yeah!! W-13 is back in form. I'm a bit confused by Charlotte since she's gone from good to bad and back and forth some here. I understand the immortality / mortality thing for her but with her son Nick involved, a mother will do anything so definitely wouldn't trust Charlotte. And now we have to get Claudia back but we know that's a no-brainer. I don't think Myka will have to go for immortality to be cured but Parcelsus will probably have something to with it.

There still is something with W-13 that I can't quite peg this back half season even with the good stuff now. Maybe it's that I'd still wish HG could show up again or possibly Leena but honestly I don't think so. Some type of mojo is missing even with them ramping up. But for sure looks good with what's going on now.
Flag
PS,,, where the hell is Mrs. Frederic? She just HAS to show up in one of the last two eps. this season or I'll be disappointed.
Flag
GIles?! As a crazy alchemist that was bronzed. This could be great. I enjoyed the episode but them getting snowed by NIck, to me, it just wasn't that believable. I mean they have dealt with far more intelligent bad guys and to be snowed by a kid, even a 500 year old kid seems a bit much.

However somehow I think Myka is going to be ok. Perhaps even immortal.

Anyways good episode.
Flag
Staff
Myka will totes be okay. I'm torn on immortality, though. I can see it ending up as a choice: take her chances with a human approach to cancer and MAYBE live or jumping on the immortality train, definitely beating cancer, but sacrificing her humanity in the process.
Flag
Two people from Buffy (Tony Head and James Marsters) hardly constitutes a reunion. There is only one reason I started watching this show. That reason is Jane Espenson. Damn near everyone I know watches this show. Most because of Eddie McClintock. We support our locals no matter what. However Jane is a story teller. She learned from the master. And she learned well. Buffy cast showing up hear and there is no surprise. They are some of the best actors in science fiction. Jane knows that and will use the when she can. Not unlike Joss Whedon, David Fury, Marti Noxon and David Greenwalt. All will use these actors when they can because they can. Put two or more in one episode and you might have a reunion. Two or more in a season of a science fiction show is just smart casting. This story is going to come to an early end and I for one am not happy about it. Where the story takes us is not important. The fact that it does take us is. That's what a good story does.
As for Eddie, if your coming home in a few weeks for the big party, swing by and we can throw some water balloons at Marilyn Manson's dad while he is out mowing the lawn. Just because we're getting older doesn't mean we have to grow up.
More+
Flag
When you listed off the "Immortality sucks" literary parade, you missed Lord of the Rings. You know, the one with immortal Arwen and mortal Aragorn, and elves sailing West.
Flag
Staff
Yeeeeah, I pretty much wanted to stab myself in the face the entire time with that one. Still should have been included though. My bad. :/
Flag
giles and spike !!!
Flag
Kind of a depressing episode with Myka so focused on her cancer diagnosis (which was to be expected). I did like seeing the different reactions from Pete, though I knew the only thing he would do was hug her. That is what a friend would do. In all honesty I understand what Myka means to the Warehouse 13 crew but I hope they don't use an artifact to save her life. It sucks that she has cancer, but that is a real disease that regular people get everyday, saving her because she is their friend while thousands of others suffer would be a slap in the face to everyone else who has to face it. (I know this is a tv show but in the beginning there was supposed to be consequences to the person who uses artifacts for personal gain - thats why half the people who are bronzed end up the way they do, well they also do evil things but thats besides the point - if they use an artifact to help Myka then there NEEDS to be consequences, BIG consequences). While I agree that Myka's breaking point and anger towards Charlotte about becoming mortal was warranted, Charlotte also had a point. Being immortal can't be fun. I mean after the initial enjoyment of living forever, its got to suck that everyone you have ever known or loved will die and leave you alone. Myka may be facing death at the moment, but she is also not alone. She has everyone at the Warehouse, not to mention her sister (not sure about other family although I think they have been mentioned as well). Poor Claudia - always trying to help a stray, sometimes you got leave them on the side of the road where you found them. I have no worries that she will be unbronzed soon enough. Not enough Giles (Anthony Head), but I'm sure that will change next week - bad Giles, can't wait. Where is Spike (James Marsters)?
More+
Flag
How do you think the Myka/Charlotte/Nick/Philosopher's Stone story
To be honest it's not keeping me glued to the screen and I do love the show but it's getting out of hand go back to what works if the show is going to end let it end on a high not go kicking and screaming (for a better choice of words) into the tv archives.
Flag
I've got to admit I'm not enjoying this season of Warehouse 13 much. They've done three seasons of 'find an artifact in a light hearted way' and that worked for me. I didn't care much about the characters back stories I just liked their chemistry and quirkiness. The show has, until this season, been more about the artifacts than the emotional side of the characters and that was what I liked about it - enjoyment without expected emotional input. The show has never tried to play too strongly on my emotions (with the exception of Steve's death but we all knew they would save him somehow. I didn't care enough about Nina to be upset. Surprised they killed her off and left her dead but not upset.) However this season is really trying hard to put all this deep and meaningful stuff in there and for me that's not what the show is about.
I'll keep watching until it's finished but I hope they go back to the formula that had me hooked in the first place.
Flag
My wife and I love to think up interesting (but ridiculous) artifacts to wonder about. My favorite (one of mine) is "The Bone of Contention". The wife likes it and wonders if it could be something to save Myka. How can one look upon the wonder that is Warehouse 13 and not have delusions of grandeur? You're so right, Mary Ann that this show is one of the most amazing cast of characters ever--my all time favorite perfect cast is that of Human Target, btw. Perhaps this show is ending because it's just getting harder and harder to think up interesting artifact possibilities. It's been a great run and we will miss it dearly when it's gone. It is, howsomeever a keeper and can be enjoyed over and over...
Flag
Okay...so here's my theory. Charlotte and her ex-husband(I forget his name) used to be Warehouse agents 500 years ago for Warehouse 9 or 10 (or maybe 11). And they broke the rule: No using artifacts for personal use. And they and their son became immortal. The ex-husband loves being immortal, but Charlotte, not so much, which is why they broke up. So she is looking for a cure for Nick and herself.
Flag
Staff
That is totally plausible! I totally thought differing opinions on immortality were what probably drove Charlotte and the Count apart, but the warehouse agent angle is a new one for me and I like it.
Flag
I think Myka's cancer storyline ruined Warehouse 13 for me. Instead of enjoying the episode I was constantly worring about her. Due to family history any cancer of the female reproductive system is a very touchy subject for me.

I didn't even care about Claudia - I'm sure the warehouse gang will repair the machine and reanimate her in no time.

When I saw Parcelsus I was like: "Is that Anthony Head? No, it's not him". I'm surprised it actually was him.
Flag
One good thing - Myka told Pete about the diagnosis.
Flag
Would they bronze Myka as a 'when we cure it we will un bronze you'
Flag
I'd imagine they could find a healer artifact or miracle drug in that warehouse quick enough that they don't have to worry about the cancer progressing so much.

The trick is to find one with a manageable side-effect. And as we've seen, some of those "healing" artifacts pack a massive side-effect.
Flag
I'm glad Pete's reaction shots were all imagined.. at the first one when he started sobbing I had a horrified moment where "Myka has cancer = Pete's friends legs get broken" same reaction, same sobbing...

I don't know if they're getting sloppier with the CGI or I'm just noticing it more, but when there's a huge smoke monster looming over Artie (glad Smokebeast could find work after Lost) and Artie's staring at a small spot on the floor mumbling "what is that?" it just takes me right back to the horrible CGI lava

Good story sans the cancer arc though..
Flag
Poor Claudia, based on the teaser for next week now she has to pull a Jon Crichton from Farscape... being frozen in a statue and talking to people via headset.

I wonder what the kid's angle is... maybe he wants to keep Immortality but first bump up his age to 22yo or something?

Also, while I can kind of understand the motivations for siding with the WareHouse crew... it was a pretty sudden and fast turn-around. It's possible she's still not on the level.
Flag
Awsome episode...Giles still looks awsome:D Pete as character is just unsaveable. Only line I laughed at,was Harry Potter one,but rest are just boring. They try(read fail) too much with him being "idiot",saying something "funny",etc. I didn't feel Myka at all,with all those imaginary tells of cancer,etc.
Nick is dead to me!!! :D Poor Claudia,even though she wins "the bronzed look" over other bronzed people:D
Flag
Pete's various reactions to the Big C...wow.
Flag
I was kind of happy they got Sasha Roiz over from his day off on Grimm to reprise his role as Marcus Diamond (cool name, too). As a villainous henchman he's been much more impressive than some of the main villains. Even if it seemed kind of out of left field. How did Nick know about him?
Flag
Exactly! How did Nick and Charlotte know about Marcus or about the bronzer or about the Warehouse in general?
Flag
Follow this Show
Members