A Warehouse 13 Community
Syfy (ended 2014)

Warehouse 13 S05E01: "Endless Terror"

It's the beginning of the end for Warehouse 13 as we kick off the Syfy stalwart's final season. It's also the beginning of the beginning, in a few different ways: Claudia coming into her own as the next caretaker, Pete and Myka's relationship—they are so endgame—and the conclusion of Paracelsus's reign of terror as the Warehouse's most persistent problem. There are six episodes in this hiccup of a swan song and Warehouse 13 just isn't the sort of show to go out on such a big downer as its heroes losing against a wholly monstrous adversary. 

Lots of Warehouse 13's past baddies have espoused the ever-chilling "end justifies the means" philosophy, but Paracelsus embraces it completely. He also lacks the emotion that has driven so many of the Warehouse's former enemies—including Sykes and, for a time, H.G.—and which allowed us to humanize them even as they did awful things. Paracelsus is just a cold bastard who simply wants to do a science and make a discovery at any cost... and then use that discovery to further his own power, of course. He also tends to be the smartest person in the room at any given time, which makes him even more of a threat; iI Wear the Black Hat, the always-awesome Chuck Klosterman wrote that a true villain is the person who "knows the most and cares the least," and I think that pretty succinctly sums up ol' Paracelsus. 

Regardless, I'm fully confident that Paracelsus will be defeated or reformed by the end of the series. All we have to do is hold on and enjoy the ride. 

If you're a little fuzzy on the deets of Warehouse 13's Season 4's finale, here's the scoop. Paracelsus barricaded himself inside the Warehouse with Claudia, planning to smoosh some artifacts together and most likely build something nasty. Myka's cancer storyline was a thing that I'd forgotten about until this episode; same goes for Claudia's secret sister Claire. Not gonna lie, I'm infinitely more interested in the Myka and Claudia stuff than the Paracelsus stuff, mostly because I'm lazy and jaded and I assume he'll be disposed of eventually. 

Anyhoo, "Endless Terror" saw the return of Mark Sheppard as formerly deceased Warehouse 2 expert Benedict Valda, who is alive and loyal to his alternate-timeline caretaker. I feel a bit guilty because my gut says that any appearance by Sheppard in any capacity should always be met with cheering and flailing, but I'm just so over Paracelsus, and the possibility that Valda survived the restoration of the timeline in order to potentially de-bronze Paracelsus is disappointing. It's not that his delicious evilness isn't, well, delicious, but at this point in the series, we have so much to explore in our agents' personal lives: Pete and Myka, Artie and Vanessa, Claudia and Claire, Claudia and the warehouse. I'd rather we focused on the smaller stories, rather than more cat-and-mouse shenanigans with another power-drunk madman. 

Then again, so far, all Valda has done is enter his dearly departed alternative self's vault, so maybe the dude is harmless. 

Haha, yeah right. 

In a way, "Endless Terror" fell short as a premiere, though I'll admit that it was mostly the knowledge of this being Warehouse 13's final season that raised my expectations so high. It wasn't a bad episode, but it was only an average episode. It wrapped up the biggest problem plaguing the Warehouse at the conclusion of Season 4 and it set us up for the rest of Season 5, but given that this we've only got six episodes total until the end, I wanted it to feel more special, you know? 

Even the alternate future generated by Paracelsus's meddling in the past failed to generate much excitement, though the line about P only tweaking the timeline—as opposed to completely altering the history of the world—provided some nice attention to detail and totally made sense for him. It also reinforced the notion that the Warehouse is a world within itself. While we didn't actually get to see the brave new world outside the alternate-future Warehouse, given Myka's comments, I think we can assume it's not terribly different from our own. 

However, I'd be remiss not to note that time travel—frontways and backways and every other which way—has become to Warehouse 13 what dead Winchesters are to Supernatural. When it happens so often, and usually with the same outcome every time, it becomes routine and a little boring. 

I'm still thrilled to be back in the Warehouse, though, and the series has given itself a few strings in need of tying that could prove to be a promising challenge in the next five weeks. While huge, sweeping, save-the-world types of stories have been Warehouse 13's bread and butter from the very beginning, it's the characters that we care about, and it's the characters that we'll miss when the show goes off the air. Let's wrap up the apocalypse and get down the the personal, people-driven stories that are going to last in our minds after the credits roll, okay?

EXTRA ARTIFACTS

– "Don't try to explain time travel. It never makes sense and it always makes my head hurt." —Pete Lattimer, the voice of television viewers everywhere

– Do you think Myka is REALLY fine? 

– Claire theories! Calling all Claire theories!

What did you think of the Season 5 premiere? What are your hopes for the rest of the season?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/19/2014

Season 5 : Episode 6

44 Comments
Comments (44)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Didn't Janeway say the same exact thing about time travel in an episode of voyager?
Flag
I lol'd at your dead Winchesters comment!
Flag
I think it was pretty good but expected the battle with Claudia to be a bit more than it was.

I'd guess many here have seen the season previews at the end of the ep. and it looks really awesome. Explaining most what is left but also giving us that happy, send-off feel. I sure hope so.

And let's all remember this is truly the "end" of a Sci-Fi genre and hope not for a very long time. Since W-13 and Eureka sorta are hand in hand with a certain style. I'll be yearning for more in this style but I don't see much like them.
Flag
I was left a little disappointed with the premiere too. It just didn't seem to have a lot of "heart" in it if that makes any sense. Given that there are only five episodes left, I hope this episode turns out to be the weakest.
Flag
I don't really know what to think about Myka's cancer... Is she cured with the "help" of Pete toying with artifacts, is she lying, maybe she is not aware yet?
Anyway I hope they won't kill her at the end I want an happy ending even if I'll miss WH13.
I'm also curious to know about Claudia's sister.
Next episodes seem interesting, I hope that they (the writers) will make a hell of an ending and don't waste our 5 last WH13.
Flag
Pete and Myka hooking up would be so very wrong, it'd be incestual. I was happy to get rid of Paracelsus though, it was just one too many times to the well and another few episodes chasing him would have sucked, the writing there is so shallow.

Ugh, I hadn't thought about Valda being loyal to Paracelsus, you are on the money there, DO NOT WANT.

I really haven't a clue about Myka, hadn't considered that she's lying, that'd be a massive bummer.
Flag
New spinoff - Odo and The Bionic Woman
Flag
WOW ITS BACK AND ITS BACK WITH A BANG. I love this show and this episode was warehouse at its best. I love Pete, he still manages to find time to hit on the pretty girl and save the world at the same time. The warehouse scene at the beginning where Claudia was going after the boys, that was priceless. I hope Myka is ok, like really ok. I loved this episode from start to finish.
Flag
MaryAnn, are you going to review Continuum?
Flag
What Was That?! So Myka doesn't have a cancer?! I thought they confirmed she's sick in last season? Also she was dying and that's why she needed emergency operation in season's 4 finale? And now she only has a benign ovarian cyst?! WTF?!

If Myka is lying and she still has ovarian cancer - do we really have time for more drama? We only have 5 episodes till series finale. The team should be doing everything that is possible to save her life.

If Myka is suddenly alright and it was just one big misunderstanding then Warehouse 13 just went to toilet.

I'm still too confused / angry to think straight about the premiere.

On the plus side - it looks like we'll see Jaimie Murray as Helena again - YAY!
Flag
I recently sort of marathoned the show (psyched it's back, WEAK that it's a short last season). The details of Myka's cancer curing are a little fuzzy, but sometime near the end of season 4, Pete really wanted her to get better and resorted to something super risky involving combining two artifacts. I have vague memories of her almost dying while the artifacts where doing their thing, Pete and (whoever it was who told him about the power of the combo?) lost control of it, but then of course they got it together and Myka was cured. That was the origin of the whole object-combo thing, which became a theme.

Apologies in advance if I'm off on the details, or even the whole freaking thing. While I'm a big Warehouse 13 fan, but obviously wasn't glued to the screen for each episode. It's a real shame they aren't continuing it past this season... Umm, Claudia becoming caretaker of the warehouse is sort of a BIG DEAL. The show has evolved due to events like that and all the revelations we've had about warehouse-land over four seasons. IOW, could almost be considered a new show at this point vs. what began in season one. It's got an awesome cast that I'm already to attached to. The setting is much more interesting due to what we've learned about it and everything that's gone down there. Tell me some stories with this new background!

At least I'd definitely put "Warehouse 13 in the "rewatchable in a year-or-so" category.
More +
Flag
Great episode, it was nice to see the gang back together. This is really one of my favorite shows. Right up there with Psych in terms of sheer watchability. I really dislike how SciFi has treated it especially in regards to the 6 episode finale. But that is a whole other story.

This episode pretty much had it all. I am not sure I want Valda as a over arcing bad guy. Actually with six episodes I am not sure I want an over arcing bad guy. If this show is going to go out, I would rather have the most crazy artifacts that they can come up with and the whole team interacting together. But that might be just me.
Flag
I'm not too sure that Myka is just fine after the big deal they made about her being sick last season. Then again maybe they just got that story out of the way in order to focus on the last episodes. Otherwise she is hiding something from everyone.

Of course Valda is going to be a threat and when you need a bad guy you get Mark Sheppard who is great in pretty much everything from good guys like Canton in Doctor Who to Lampkin in Battlestar Galactica but is relishes in playing bad guys like Crowely from Supernatural. I hope he turns out to be a bad guy in his own right rather than just trying to revive Paracelsus though.

As for Claire, maybe it is possible that the accident which killed Claudia's parents generated so much psychic energy that, instead of imbuing an object with power and making it an artifact, it made Claire herself an artifact and thus very dangerous, so much so that the Regents had to lock her away.

Overall, the episode was alright enough. I am glad that the alternate timeline was not going to be the basis for the entire final season and that it is out of the way. I was a bit dissapointed that Claudia didn't make much of a stand and that Paracelsus was able to take her down pretty easily. i would have liked to see a bigger fight from her. The episode also glossed over a few things that could have used a bit more explaining like Myka's illness if it is just gone like that but really it was how Mrs Frederic just easily reattached herself as caretaker after such a big deal was made about severing her ties last season.

I do hope that the series is not biting off too much by having the Claire storyline and Valda storyline with only 5 episodes left to resolve things and give a good send off.
More+
Flag
– Claire theories! Calling all Claire theories!

Honestly I've been scratching my head over this whole thing ever since Artie said how dangerous she is. Didn't he say she was the most dangers person he's ever known?

Considering how many insanely dangerous people they've interacted with... WHAT could have him so spooked. Seriously: serial killers, madmen with artifacts, crazy immortals, and a couple of people that wanted to destroy the world. And he's worried about HER?

Flag
Part of me wants to say she has some "artifact-level" power, but then I imagine if she had a power and was that dangerous then she'd be bronzed. But then Artie couldn't have gotten a fresh sample.

Is she only dangerous to Claudia? Like Claire wants to kill or hurt Claudia so Artie is trying to keep them apart?

Is she part of some evil and large organization? Perhaps with or without knowledge of artifacts?

Did she somehow cause the car crash that killed Claudia's parents?
Flag
"the possibility that Valda survived the restoration of the timeline in order to potentially de-bronze Paracelsus is disappointing."

I assumed Valda would be the big bad for the rest of the series not debronze Paracelsus.
Flag
That's where I'm leaning... he wants to be his own man instead of continuing to be Paracelsus's stooge. Else... he could have freed Paracelsus fairly easily. Instead the trailers for the rest of the season show him doing other stuff.

Doesn't de-bronzing just take a DNA sample from Artie? Like a toothbrush?
Flag
I don't recall,... when did Pete and Myka see those mind-control monocles?

They seemed to be familiar with them, but I don't recall when they would have seen them.
Flag
However, I'd be remiss not to note that time travel has become to Warehouse 13 what dead Winchesters are to Supernatural.

Hardly. Time travel has happened, what, twice on the show?
- Pete and Myka using the HG machine to body-jack agents in the 60s
- Last night's premier

We've had a couple of flashbacks (HR Wells's life) and some alternate realities. But this is only the 2nd (maybe 3rd) time travel episode.

Meanwhile, the Winchesters have died a LOT... especially Dean.
Flag
Also the entire astrolabe plot.
Flag
Ah, OK yeh I forgot that. But that was just for the 24hr period so I barely count that.
Flag
Oh good grief. This is what happened to Eureka. Instead of spending the final season on the core characters, they are wasting our time for six episodes. I love the Warehouse 13 family and have a season pass to every episode so I will be there until the end. But I am done with SYFY and sticking with Canadian shows (Lost Girl, Continuum) that I can download season passes to from ITUNES and Amazon. I do not have to worry about SYFY ruining those. P.S. Smoosh is my favorite word to use in IT when I explain something.
Flag
I agree, the reason I don't ever want to watch new episodes of shows coming to syfy, is, because they will just be cancelled anyways. Glad I finally got to watch warehouse 13 because I am so done with syfy. I was just waiting for the last season of warehouse 13. Reason the new shows that comes to syfy, their ratings are so poor and dropping, is because a lot of people don't have that trust in syfy anymore. They will just cancelled them anyways, who wants to stick around with syfy? I will miss warehouse 13. A lot of people just don't have the confident in syfy to stick to the new shows, they put or add nowadays. Good grief that I am done with syfy. Good luck for those that are going to start watching their new shows, They wont last long .
Flag
I'm with you. Amongst other problems, Syfy has an obvious obsession with religion and it's just not to my tastes. Thankfully other broadcasters are producing some great stuff. Also a big Continuum fan. I'd recommend giving The 100 a go if you haven't watched it already. I was a little worried it would be a tweeny mess but it's really very good.

I had sort of liked Warehouse 13 up until this episode but can't be bothered watching the final series now.
Flag
Unless you've read some spoilers somewhere, I don't see why you think we're not spending time with the core characters and wasting our time.

Claudia is going to have some personal storytime with her sister and everything. And Pete and Myka already had some heart-to-heart. Se we have them facing off against Valda, who used to be a recurring character.

Again, maybe I'm missing something or you read some spoilers. But the previews for the rest of the season last night didn't seem to indicate the season would be a waste.
Flag
Episode had tons of great actors and actresses in it,but boy did episode suck..most of times...Pete's "jokes" were lame,I don't know if Joanne Kelly(Myka) even takes this seriously,coz few scenes I felt,she is not even bothering with acting and same goes with few others.
I hope LAST 5 episodes are better,but from preview it doesn't seem so...I gotta wonder,what went through writes mind,when they knew they had only 6 episodes to FINISH series.
Flag
Even with the shortened final season, the Paracelsus storyline was wrapped up well (if a little hurried). Seeing Mark Sheppard on TV is always a good thing and it'll be interesting to see what he's up to.
all in all, so good to be watching the show again and will treasure the few episodes left (PS please find a way out of cancellation even now, I'm a massive Myka/Pete and HG/Myka/Pete fan)
Flag
This really pisses me off, and I'll tell you why. It was so much fun, and it's the beginning to a very short end to a show that is pretty much just a fun thing to have in your life. I never want it to be over, and I don't really care if it's believable or not, it's just so much fun...
Flag
i don't think it "fell short as a premiere". as usual, it was interesting and they had to find new way defeat the villain. i thought it was pretty intense in some of the scenes, and it was amazing how they still added some funny scenes.
Flag
I missed this show!
Flag
I'm not convinced Pete and Myka are ready for each other.
Flag
Who is the villain in Warehouse 13 season 5? Holy moly it's science!
Flag
I was glad the episodes had a good "previously on" section at the beginning because I had honestly sort of forgotten the Season 4 finale (July was too long ago).

I thought I recongized Rebecca Mader. Someone needs to update her imdb page - because when I went to check he hadn't been credited.

Like Pete, time-travel always slightly confuses me.
Flag
I'm also thrilled to be back in the Warehouse. So campy and fun, despite the 'threats'. Pete's toilet humor never really gets old, as much as he is getting old himself.
Flag
I liked it. A lot went on that seemed a tad rushed to me, but was OK. Myka only had a cyst? Or is there more to that?

What was the name of the stupid purple bird that conveniently drops in to take the tusk and fly off? For that matter, what kind of bird was it that could do that? Something about that was just plain silly.

I was also wondering why SyFy chose to air the season 4 finale after the season 5 premiere. That was dumb. Catch people up first then continue, but they did it backwards. The Metal Hurlant Chronicles should have followed it.

By the way, has TV.Com reviewed / previewed that Hurlant series? I am glad they are trying something like this and thought it was interesting, but not sure what I think of its quality just yet - slow-motion scenes, a bit of CGI stuff, and what-not. They should have animated it. Enjoyed the bunny in the second episode though. That was funny.
Flag
They called the bird a swamphen. At least in some cultures, its status approximates that of a peacock.

The whole thing with Rebecca Mader seemed kind of... pointless. I guess that's what she was doing this week that she only appeared for five minutes in OUaT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Swamphen
Flag
Ditto for Mark Sheppard (who was uncredited for some odd reason). Does he sneak out between episodes of Supernatural to film W13?
Flag
Mark A. Sheppard can be on my TV any old time, and I think he's the best character actor around.
Flag
Yeah, but they did give him the ball. Crowley, Sterling, that guy on BSG and other great roles has the ball and I wouldn't wish it any other way.
Flag
Sure. But they didn't give him much to do tonight.
Flag
It seemed to do what it needed to do. Cleaned up last year's plots, give us a villain to run out the final five episodes. Because we knew that there'd be some kind of overall threat, and Varda makes a quick and easy nemesis. And still have enough freedom to wrap up the loose ends.
Flag
Definitely gotta disagree with you: this premiere rocked every step of the way. Like you said, Paracelsus is a cold bastard, and that makes for the best kind of enemy. Everyone had to practically use every bit of their intelligence to defeat him, only to find that they have another equally intelligent villain on the horizon: Benedict Valda. I loved every bit of it because it makes for a more intriguing challenge AGAIN. The smaller stories will come, you know it, i know it, everybody knows it. The one thing Warehouse 13 shouldn't do is take the easy way out by simply concentrating on those stories cause it would be a total bullcrap ending. Challenge is the name of the game, and WH13 will always step up, even if this final season is only six episodes long.
Loved the blend of humor and drama in this premiere, just like pretty much every episode. One thing I have always loved about this show is it always plays to its strengths, and this episode was a great example.
Flag
Claire theory: She was raised by MacPherson. After watching the WH13 marathons last week, I was reminded that MacPherson is who sent Claudia's brother that artifact that made him "disappear". What if their parents didn't die in an "accident"? What if MacPherson knew that one of the Donovan girls was destined to be a warehouse caretaker, and he grabbed one to raise in his own evil footsteps? Like Artie said, she is bad and evil and whatnot.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members