Warehouse 13 Forums

Syfy (ended 2014)

Artifact Recovery Scorecard

nolefan32

[41]Aug 19, 2010
    • level: 11
    Princess_Pinky wrote:

MichaudMR wrote:

The glasses are listed as recovered in "MacPherson" but we could presume most of what he was using (or selling) during his story arc had been items stolen from the Warehouse only to be returned later. It probably wouldn't do much beyond muddy the waters if I began a tally of items lost and then recovered beyond skimming the posts in this thread. I do think there is more than meets the eye with the grappling hook gun, seeing as it had a case and a location, besides does anyone believe anyone can hold onto another person with one arm while being lifted into the air like that with the other hand? Sounds artifacty to me.

Oh! I forgot about "MacPherson." Whoops. This is why I need to get season one on DVD.

And I agree about the grappling hook. It probably became an artifact when H. G. invented it, which is why it has a case and place inThe Warehouse,and it's not exactly a common place item (like a cell phone), so I think it should stay listed as an artifact. Plus, like you said, the way it was used just makes it seem like there's more than meets the eye.

The glasses in McPherson were a copy of Timothy Leary's, not the real thing. Artie made a point of saying "You'd know if they were the real thing because you'd never want to take them off."

As for the grappling hook - I state it again, artifacts are not artifacts simply because they aren't commonplace (like a cell phone); the warehouse staff themselves use gadgets like the Tesla gun and the video phones that aren't commonplace, but those aren't artifacts, either. It's an artifact if it has a power that goes beyond human understanding (and thus may be potentially dangerous), i.e., there's a supernatural element to it. The grappling gun is just a gadget. Might be one-of-a-kind, but it's still just a gadget. Otherwise, everything that's ever been invented would go straight into the warehouse, and we'd be still living in caves.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MichaudMR

[42]Aug 19, 2010
    • level: 17

Great catch on the glasses!, I can't remember if Artie made the comment before or after they discovered MacPherson was looting the Warehouse. If it was before then he might have just presumed they were replicas thinking the originals were safely locked away. If we can figure that out I'll amend both the Scorecard and Artifacts Employed lists accordingly.

As far as the grappling hook goes, I respectfully have a different opinion. Who's to say what makes the cut as an actual artifact? We could endlessly debate the merits of many of the objects we've seen so far (such as Henry Ford's Bio-Electric Car) which might just simply be exotic technology for its time but not particularly dangerous to humanity. As stated before, I'd love to have a chance to poke around in their dumpster. In order to limit this type of dilemma I've determined the best course of action is to make note of objects that have been pursued, seized, and/or stored in the Warehouse (snagged, bagged, and tagged). We watched Myka put it in a box and presumably shelve it, if that's good enough for them it's good enough for me.

Edited on 08/19/2010 6:05am

Princess_Pinky

[43]Aug 19, 2010

nolefan32 wrote:
    The glasses in McPherson were a copy of Timothy Leary's, not the real thing. Artie made a point of saying "You'd know if they were the real thing because you'd never want to take them off." As for the grappling hook - I state it again, artifacts are not artifacts simply because they aren't commonplace (like a cell phone); the warehouse staff themselves use gadgets like the Tesla gun and the video phones that aren't commonplace, but those aren't artifacts, either. It's an artifact if it has a power that goes beyond human understanding (and thus may be potentially dangerous), i.e., there's a supernatural element to it. The grappling gun is just a gadget. Might be one-of-a-kind, but it's still just a gadget. Otherwise, everything that's ever been invented would go straight into the warehouse, and we'd be still living in caves.

Great. That's your opinion of what an artifact is. I firmly disagree with you. Yes, I believe the Tesla and the Farnsworth are artifacts as well and I'm glad they are also on the list, just as I feel the grappling hook should be.

Edited on 08/19/2010 9:32am
    Edited 2 total times.

nolefan32

[44]Aug 19, 2010
    Princess_Pinky wrote:

nolefan32 wrote:
    The glasses in McPherson were a copy of Timothy Leary's, not the real thing. Artie made a point of saying "You'd know if they were the real thing because you'd never want to take them off." As for the grappling hook - I state it again, artifacts are not artifacts simply because they aren't commonplace (like a cell phone); the warehouse staff themselves use gadgets like the Tesla gun and the video phones that aren't commonplace, but those aren't artifacts, either. It's an artifact if it has a power that goes beyond human understanding (and thus may be potentially dangerous), i.e., there's a supernatural element to it. The grappling gun is just a gadget. Might be one-of-a-kind, but it's still just a gadget. Otherwise, everything that's ever been invented would go straight into the warehouse, and we'd be still living in caves.

Great. That's your opinion of what an artifact is. I firmly disagree with you. Yes, I believe the Tesla and the Farnsworth are artifacts as well and I'm glad they are also on the list, just as I feel the grappling hook should be.

Not my opinion. but don't believe me -- here's Artie from the pilot defining what artifacts are and why they're put into the warehouse:

Artie: And that is exactly what we do here. We take the unexplained.. and we just safely tuck it away in this super-sized Pandora's Box.
    Pete: Metaphorically speaking.
    Artie: Well, actually, Pandora's box is over in Aisle 989-B. Empty, of course.

They're the "unexplained," "safely tucked away." If we understand how something works because we invented it, it's not "unexplained" and thus does not need to be "safely tucked away."

kanniballl

[45]Aug 20, 2010
    • level: 18

I don't have much to add on the whole Tesla/Farnsworth/etc == artifact debate. Only to say it's a matter of opinion.

On one hand, I see the artifacts as things that defy logic or conventional scientific knowledge. He goes on to say that there's not magic involved, just science we don't understand. An analogy Artie uses is someone finding a working radio way back in the colonial days or what-not.

On the other hand I'm sure a lot of items retrieved as artifacts include science we understand but are a little on the dangerous side. Case in point,

-the body armor that absorbs kinetic energy that Claudia re-purposed to fight the super hero / villain. I didn't sound mystical.

-the holographic gadget that Claudia re-purposed for the virtual autopsy. Obviously understood, she was able to tweak it and such.

-vacuum bombs had blueprints and were reproducable

-the Einstein wormhole bridge is brought in as an artifact even though Henry and Dr Grant knew how it functioned, though it had various unforeseeable side effects.

-Stick string.

-The DodgeBalls were made by the military and the science is probably understood, but they're too gosh-darn dangerous.

-etc

So eventually Science catches up to the artifact and their function becomes understood. They might still be dangerous or unhealthy such as how the kinetic armor proved fatal or whatever.

Now, tools *used* by the Warehouse agents could probably be either-or in terms of artifacty-nes, but I imagine tend to fall towards the artifact side of things. Ben Franklin's lightning rod is an artifact, the tuning fork that fixes hearing is an artifact, etc.

Tools *made for* the Warehouse agents probably lean towards the side of "not an artifact" though some might still be. Then again, the Electric car wasn't made *for* the agents, and I thought the Farnsworth was first made for something besides the Warehouse.

Edited on 08/20/2010 7:05am

Princess_Pinky

[46]Aug 21, 2010

nolefan32 wrote:
    Princess_Pinky wrote:

nolefan32 wrote:

Not my opinion. but don't believe me -- here's Artie from the pilot defining what artifacts are and why they're put into the warehouse:

Artie: And that is exactly what we do here. We take the unexplained.. and we just safely tuck it away in this super-sized Pandora's Box.

No, it's still very much your opinion, just as that is your interpretation of Artie's quote.

Artie's quote describes just one of the things that The Warehouse and its agents are for. It's common (perhaps the main thing) for the agents to go out and retrieve unexplained things and house them in The Warehouse, but it's not the only thing. The Warehouse also houses artifacts - explained (even in psuedo sci-fi terms) or not - that are harmful, to protect the rest of the world from them. So too do they house artifacts that aren't necessarily harmful, but that the world is deemed un-ready for. (Or, as in the case with the electric car, that are specifically kept secret so that other inventions can become popular instead, like the gas powered car.)

Edited on 08/21/2010 11:38am
    Edited 2 total times.

MichaudMR

[47]Aug 25, 2010

I'm going to add the bookends, the stockings, and the lens shard from the Pharaohs Lighthouse. I'm somewhat torn about calling Mata Hari's Stockings neutralized rather than destroyed. They were damaged to break the "spell" and when Artie tucked them away he did not employ the purple gloves or protective bag, so we can presume they were rendered inert. However, they were not obliterated and he did seize them, thus it would be a stretch to call them destroyed.

They also showed us a sardine can from Shackleton's expedition and the "Original Can of Worms" along with a few other odds and ends, but didn't go into what they do, so I don't see much value in adding them to the list of items in the Warehouse.

Did I miss anything?

Edited on 08/25/2010 6:30am

MichaudMR

[48]Sep 1, 2010

I'm going to presume that the Croquet Balls were recovered although it wasn't shown.

Does anyone know what the technical term is for the hammer that a doctor uses when checking your reflexes?

Artie also mention some other artifacts but we didn't really get to know them so I don't see any point in adding them onto the scorecard.

kanniballl

[49]Sep 1, 2010
    • level: 18

From Vendetta

Well there was a whole table of artifacts in the room when Artie was being tortured. I didn't pay attention to what they were.

One of them caught Artie's attention though, I think he mentioned that he had Jax, I imagine like the game.

Beyond that, I only recall seeing a statue of some kind.

Princess_Pinky

[50]Sep 2, 2010

MichaudMR wrote:
    Does anyone know what the technical term is for the hammer that a doctor uses when checking your reflexes?

I believe it's called a plexor.

MichaudMR

[51]Sep 3, 2010

I Remember Artie stating "you have the Jax" and did spot the table full of goodies, but they didn't go into any detail. Beyond making an entry along the lines of "A random collection of miscellaneous artifacts" I didn't see much of a need to add anything to the scorecard. In the interest of accuracy, it would be nice to know the exact number so we could add it to the tally.

Also, Thanks for the info on the Plexor, I've amended the list.

MichaudMR

[52]Sep 14, 2010

Other than WH 2 itself I don't think we saw any new artifacts for Buried, and the story line hasn't played out yet so it might be wise to hold off trying to catalogue it just yet. Did anyone pick up on anything other than that?

Princess_Pinky

[53]Sep 15, 2010

MichaudMR wrote:
    Did anyone pick up on anything other than that?

What about the device they used to guage Mrs. Frederic's brainwaves/remaining brain space? I'm too tired to rewatch the episode, so I don't remember what it's called or how they described it, but definitely looked (and acted) more artifacty than it did modern medical.

Edited on 09/15/2010 12:08am

MichaudMR

[54]Sep 22, 2010

Lets see; Daedalus' Wings, Lizzie Borden's Compact, The Minoan Trident, and Warehouse 2 can be placed in the recovered category. We also have the brain scanner used in "Buried", and the tracking device cooked up by Claudia. Can anyone help me with some compact, descriptive titles for them? Also, I haven't had time to rewatch and I'm sure there are more artifacts than listed above. Does anyone have anything to add?

Princess_Pinky

[55]Sep 22, 2010

The Corsican vest can also be added. And maybethe tar? I don't remember if they said that came from the La Brea Tar Pits or some place else though.

Dragonsi2

[56]Sep 22, 2010
    • level: 6

Can someone give me more info on the Eureka crossover please? Like what season and episode, that's all, not detailed spoiler info. I can find it that way to watch. This is the first time I heard of it, mentioned here in this checklist, I didn't see advertised at all that I noticed so I am surprised by it.

I have the first season and watched maybe the first 5-6-7 episodes 2 years ago or so and really did like it, but somehow lost touch and never watched anything after, not out of boredom of the show, more like never getting back to finishing it. The last episode that I remember was the back of a trailer home being blown out, (by the space time black hole thing maybe?) but may have watched 1-2 after that one.

As a side note, I really enjoy "Haven", the Stephen King series, and they off handedly mentioned Eureka once and wondered if the troubles plagued that town as well. (troubles is a term describing humans with usually bad supernatural powers ONLY located in Haven, then the troubles disappeared 27 years ago and now are back and humans have uncontrolled powers the police must investigate). So my point is that it's good SyFy keeps their supernatural shows connected somehow. Now Pete and Myka need to investigate an artifact in Haven to come full circle next season.

Princess_Pinky

[57]Sep 23, 2010

Dragonsi2 wrote:
    Can someone give me more info on the Eureka crossover please? Like what season and episode, that's all, not detailed spoiler info. I can find it that way to watch. This is the first time I heard of it, mentioned here in this checklist, I didn't see advertised at all that I noticed so I am surprised by it.

Sure! The first crossover happens on Warehouse 13 in 2x05 called "13.1" and the second crossover happens in Eureka in 4x05 called "Crossing Over." It's not a two-parter and they are mostly standalone crossovers, with the exception that Fargo already knows who Claudia is in the Eureka crossover since he met her first in the Warehouse 13 crossover.

Dragonsi2 wrote:
    As a side note, I really enjoy "Haven", the Stephen King series, and they off handedly mentioned Eureka once and wondered if the troubles plagued that town as well. (troubles is a term describing humans with usually bad supernatural powers ONLY located in Haven, then the troubles disappeared 27 years ago and now are back and humans have uncontrolled powers the police must investigate). So my point is that it's good SyFy keeps their supernatural shows connected somehow. Now Pete and Myka need to investigate an artifact in Haven to come full circle next season.

Out of curiosity, what was the context of the quote? I'm wondering if they were simply joking (meaning Eureka exists as a television show in their universe) or if they meant it as a physical place (meaning it exists in the same show-verse) or if they purposely left it ambiguous so as to leave both options open.

MichaudMR

[58]Sep 24, 2010

Princess_Pinky wrote:
    And maybe the tar? I don't remember if they said that came from the La Brea Tar Pits or some place else though.

H.G. stated that it was "Primordial Tar from Pitch Lake in Trinidad" but this leaves us with a dilemma, the tar is not an individual object but an unknown quantity of viscus material of which she used a small quantity. I propose that it should be listed as "Discovered" along with WH2, both have no clear disposition as of yet and probably won't as they are not that important to driving any particular story line.

MichaudMR

[59]Dec 9, 2010

I added the Christmas Truce Ornament, Ali's Gloves, Swiss Mishap in a Cup, and the Original Mistletoe. Did I miss anything?

MichaudMR

[60]Jul 13, 2011

Well this is a new one, an artifact (or at least part of an artifact set) has been voluntaraly removed from the Warehouse and placed in a public location. Why do I just know Zues' Statue will find a way to get into mischief somewhere down the line.

Jimi Hendrix's Guitar - Recovered (The New Guy)

Shakespeare's Lost Folio - Recovered (The New Guy)

Tesla Grenade - A Tesla stunner modified into a grenade by Claudia - Part of Claudia's field kit (The New Guy)

Statues of Zeus and Hera from the Battle of Corpendium - Will fight by exchanging bolts of lightning - Hera is stored in Warehouse 13, Zues at the Univille Garden Conservatory (The New Guy)

Mrs. Frederic's Consciousness Transporter - Self descriptive - Used by Mrs. Frederic (The New Guy)