Warehouse 13 Forums

Syfy (ended 2014)

Official Discussion Thread: 3...2...1 (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Aug 7, 2011
    • level: 100
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 8/8/11 episode "3...2...1" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

shadowysea07

[2]Aug 8, 2011
    • level: 25

decent ep and likewise i miss hg D: please have her back more often

marknmo

[3]Aug 8, 2011
    • level: 12

I really enjoyed this episode! I loved seeing HG Wells again, but the best part of it for me was seeing Ianto from Torchwood!!!!! Oh, how I miss Ianto!

blackmage8472

[4]Aug 8, 2011
    • level: 15

So I'm guessing the HG in London segment served as a pitch for the potential spin off. Yeah, I'd watch that.

PuckTheJoker

[5]Aug 9, 2011
    • level: 9
    Anyone else notice that the stadium worker at Allegheny Field was wearing Cincinnati Reds clothing instead of Pittsburgh Pirates clothing.

MichaudMR

[6]Aug 9, 2011
    • level: 17

It was a nice, well put together episode. I liked catching up with Jack and Rebecca again, and I also enjoyed watching H.G. Wells at work in her own time. The only thing that kind of bugs me is how hard the writers are working at rehabilitating H.G. in the modern era. Her character has experienced way too many rapid swings from one end of the spectrum to the other to be plausible anymore.

kanniballl

[7]Aug 9, 2011
    • level: 18

MichaudMR wrote:

It was a nice, well put together episode. I liked catching up with Jack and Rebecca again, and I also enjoyed watching H.G. Wells at work in her own time. The only thing that kind of bugs me is how hard the writers are working at rehabilitating H.G. in the modern era. Her character has experienced way too many rapid swings from one end of the spectrum to the other to be plausible anymore.

Well, anyone can go a little crazy sometimes. Go through enough grief, and you probably don't want a hand gun next to your bed let alone a WMD.

She was a good person once, though she did take a massive step to the dark side. It's POSSIBLE she's realized the error of her ways and her friendship with Myka was probably genuine (and redeeming).

But attempting to end the world, heck coming within inches of succeeding, is kind of a big deal. It's not like they talked her down from just shooting a suspect or robbing a bank.

I think it's just the fan's reaction so maybe they're rethinking things. The actress is beautiful, charismatic, and can act quite well. Add to that they were shaping her character to be quite interesting and with many layers. BUT in the end threw it away and gave her a cliche "the world isn't right, it must end" ending... it bothered some viewers..

I think having her risk destroying the world in an effort to revive (or save) her daughter would've been good. That Myka stops her from risking the world, and then is still imprisoned. Her character just deserved more than "I'm biding my time until I can blow up the world" route.

Edited on 08/09/2011 8:56pm

kanniballl

[8]Aug 9, 2011

Personally I like stories where the villain isn't just some dark figure that wants to destroy the world.

For example, my more favorite Lex Luthor bits in the comics are when the writers are showing that he thinks he's doing good. That Superman is holding back the world by saving it (instead of letting it grow/evolve), or that he's just too big a threat, and that he's just trying to do the world a favor and the ends justify the means. As opposed to other issues/arcs where he's just jealous that he's no longer Metropolis's favorite son. Both are villains, but the former is deeper than the latter.

The same thing here, we had an HG that had many layers and was interesting... she did bad things and was punished but she thought the end justified the means. But they went from "deep / layered villain" to "2nd rate comic villain that just wants to blow up the Earth."

nolefan32

[9]Aug 10, 2011
    • level: 11
    I agree with the thoughts that H.G. Wells is swinging way too much too quickly, that her bad-to-good-and-back again just aren't realistic. But that doesn't change the fact that she's one of my favorite characters in the WH13 universe, and I'm so glad they didn't kick her to the curb after last season's finale. I'm even more excited by the possibility of a series built around her - I imagine it being a cross between WH13 and Highlander, going back forth between the present (she's got a male partner and potential love interest that carries her transmitter around on missions) and the past (her adventures at WH12, or just in that era), and the two periods are frequently somehow linked. Yeah, I'd watch that.

But I liked this episode for more reasons than just it probably being a back-door pilot for the rumored H.G. Wells spinoff. I liked the three generations of Warehouse agents working this one case (it really would have been cool had we had a prologue where the horn is at Warehouse Two but is somehow lost, and then Artie and McPhereson chasing it as field agents, which would then give us all generations of the Warehouse that we've so far been exposed to).

I was a little disappointed that they telegraphed it was the little boy distraught over the loss of his father behind the whole thing. Soon as he walked in the room with the space helmet on and they said that it was his father that was lost at the barn, my wife and I both felt pretty confident it was him.

We did like the use of one of the great icons from the Bible, Joshua's ram's horn. But now I have visions of Pete in a leather jacket and Jack's fedora, on the trail of the Holy Grail in an episode.

danharr

[10]Aug 10, 2011
    • level: 45

Good episode how this means psycho H.G gets let out I have no ideal almost ending the world isn't a oopsy give me another chance situation and unless they come up with a real good excuse won't be watching any spin offs.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[11]Aug 12, 2011
    • level: 13
    kanniballl wrote:

MichaudMR wrote:

Well, anyone can go a little crazy sometimes. Go through enough grief, and you probably don't want a hand gun next to your bed let alone a WMD.

She was a good person once, though she did take a massive step to the dark side. It's POSSIBLE she's realized the error of her ways and her friendship with Myka was probably genuine (and redeeming).

But attempting to end the world, heck coming within inches of succeeding, is kind of a big deal. It's not like they talked her down from just shooting a suspect or robbing a bank.

I think it's just the fan's reaction so maybe they're rethinking things. The actress is beautiful, charismatic, and can act quite well. Add to that they were shaping her character to be quite interesting and with many layers. BUT in the end threw it away and gave her a cliche "the world isn't right, it must end" ending... it bothered some viewers..

I think having her risk destroying the world in an effort to revive (or save) her daughter would've been good. That Myka stops her from risking the world, and then is still imprisoned. Her character just deserved more than "I'm biding my time until I can blow up the world" route.

Agreed. Also, I believe H.G.'s long heart warming speech near the end of the show was penned by the writers to convince the fans that she has finally seen the error of her ways.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[12]Aug 12, 2011
    PuckTheJoker wrote:
    Anyone else notice that the stadium worker at Allegheny Field was wearing Cincinnati Reds clothing instead of Pittsburgh Pirates clothing.

I saw the worker and looked at that scene several times. It was hard to clearly make out the logos on his shirt. Especially in the less than 2 second appearance he had. Definitely wasn't the Cincinnati Reds colors (red and white).

nolefan32

[13]Aug 15, 2011
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    PuckTheJoker wrote:

I saw the worker and looked at that scene several times. It was hard to clearly make out the logos on his shirt. Especially in the less than 2 second appearance he had. Definitely wasn't the Cincinnati Reds colors (red and white).
    They probably didn't have an agreement with the Pirates or Major League Baseball, so they made up a fake stadium (the Pirates play at PNC Park) and a fake ball team.

kanniballl

[14]Aug 15, 2011

nolefan32 wrote:
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    PuckTheJoker wrote:
    They probably didn't have an agreement with the Pirates or Major League Baseball, so they made up a fake stadium (the Pirates play at PNC Park) and a fake ball team.

OR, they didn't want to pay for licensing fees. As SyFy is already trying to make the shows cheaper.

I know know which (or if all) teams have this, but if you want to show their logo and stuff then you have to pay a fee. And some of the teams have VERY high fees. So it might just be cheaper to make up a team and use a fake logo.

But like I said, I can't tell for sure.

nolefan32

[15]Aug 15, 2011
    kanniballl wrote:

nolefan32 wrote:
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    PuckTheJoker wrote:

OR, they didn't want to pay for licensing fees. As SyFy is already trying to make the shows cheaper.

I know know which (or if all) teams have this, but if you want to show their logo and stuff then you have to pay a fee. And some of the teams have VERY high fees. So it might just be cheaper to make up a team and use a fake logo.

Interesting. Usually it's the other way around - if you want to have your product used in a movie or TV show, you are the ones who have to shell out the bucks for the advertising. That's been taken to the extreme of late, with moments like Claudia mooning over Jinks' Prius for 10 minutes, but it's been the case for years.

But it seems backwards that any team would be demanding royalties, when you consider that what we're talking about is advertising.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[16]Aug 15, 2011
    nolefan32 wrote:
    kanniballl wrote:

nolefan32 wrote:
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    PuckTheJoker wrote:

Interesting. Usually it's the other way around - if you want to have your product used in a movie or TV show, you are the ones who have to shell out the bucks for the advertising. That's been taken to the extreme of late, with moments like Claudia mooning over Jinks' Prius for 10 minutes, but it's been the case for years.

But it seems backwards that any team would be demanding royalties, when you consider that what we're talking about is advertising.

After looking at the shirt several times, I thought they did a horrible job of making up any team's clothing. Looked like a circus worker's clothes.

haldrey

[17]Aug 18, 2011
    • level: 22

Loved the episode, HG and the antique cars, specially the Packard Caribbean, that is a model thatis usually never seen.

Edited on 08/19/2011 8:21pm

grailwolf

[18]Aug 19, 2011
    • level: 55
    Did anyone else think that the last bronze figure on the right looked like the golden age Sandman from DC comics? I'm about 90% sure, but can't find any verification, so I'm reluctant to add it as trivia.