Warehouse 13 Forums

Syfy (ended 2014)

Official Discussion Thread: Age Before Beauty (possible spoilers)

Princess_Pinky

[21]Jul 30, 2010
    • level: 11

Jacks_Son wrote:

Artie called her a woman, not a teenager. He said, "I assumed, being a woman.....".

You can still be a woman and a teenager and Artie called her both:

:
    Artie: You're not a girl anymore. Y-y-y-

Claudia: What?!

Artie: Hmm? I just said that you're a woman! Not, well, you're a woman! Because, you know, you're over s-s-sixteen.

Then later, at the diner:

:
    I just sometimes forget that underneath the talented computer programmer and fearless junior Warehouse agent, there beats the heart of a teenage girl.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TankLike

[22]Aug 1, 2010
    • level: 7

I don't know about the whole date-thing. Claudia isn't very good at interacting with strangers in general. With Pete and Myka it's different I suppose since they've experienced some pretty weird stuff together.

Maybe it's because for me meeting for coffee isn't really a date. There's nothing intimate in meeting in a café and talk except for when the subject of the conversation becomes intimate. So I think that it's not so much about the dating aspect but about talking to a stranger (small-talk or whatever you wanna call it) that makes Claudia uncomfotable. That and the fact the conversation felt more like an interrogation cause he was asking her about her life constantly...

nolefan32

[23]Aug 1, 2010
    TankLike wrote:

I don't know about the whole date-thing. Claudia isn't very good at interacting with strangers in general. With Pete and Myka it's different I suppose since they've experienced some pretty weird stuff together.

Maybe it's because for me meeting for coffee isn't really a date. There's nothing intimate in meeting in a café and talk except for when the subject of the conversation becomes intimate. So I think that it's not so much about the dating aspect but about talking to a stranger (small-talk or whatever you wanna call it) that makes Claudia uncomfotable. That and the fact the conversation felt more like an interrogation cause he was asking her about her life constantly...

Oh, make no mistake. Meeting for coffee is still very much a date. Any time you are in a situation where you're goal is to impress the other person enough that they'll want to be seen in public with you again, and especially when you don't have a lot of practice at it, the pressure is on and it absolutely is a date.

Case in point - lady I've worked with for years I've always thought was really cute, but she was married so I've not allowed myself to think of her as anything other than a co-worker. A few months ago, she and her husband started going through a divorce and now I find myself hyper-aware of everything I say or do in her presence and kicking myself for everything I said (and didn't say) afterwards, because she's no longer just a co-worker, she's someone I'd like to eventually be able to convince to go out with me (no luck yet). Our situation didn't change, but the circumstances did, and now I feel like a babbling idiot all the time. Anyhow, I'm just using that to show how it's not what you do together that makes the difference, it's the pressure you find yourself under to impress.

And as for the "interrogation" - I didn't think it was an interrogation. He was trying his best to make some small talk, learn a little about Claudia, and the hardest of all, find a topic that didn't completely freak her out. Every question he asked her was fair game and standard first date topics, it's just that Claudia came face-to-face with the fact that she doesn't have a whole lot she can comfortably talk about - her job is top secret, her past is bizarre enough that no one in their right mind would ever believe her ....

MichaudMR

[24]Aug 2, 2010
    • level: 17

Nolan Gerard Funk's portrayal of Todd is just perfect, and would have been disappointing if the writers had done it any other way. He is an awkward, somewhat geeky, regular guy with slightly unkempt hair, and nerdy glasses, verses Claudia's slick, streetwise outer shell. Look just under the surface of both characters and you find Todd reasonably secure in himself and unpretentious, contrasting with Claudia who is an inexperienced mess when it comes to relating to guys around her age.

Todd gives us an opportunity to see the writers give Claudia some depth and elevates her from a supporting role to a main character. I just hope they don't over do this part of the storyline and turn it into a soap opera.

Princess_Pinky

[25]Aug 2, 2010

MichaudMR wrote:
    Todd gives us an opportunity to see the writers give Claudia some depth and elevates her from a supporting role to a main character. I just hope they don't over do this part of the storyline and turn it into a soap opera.

I am enjoying the Claudia/Todd angle. So far it's cute and sweet and it's nice to see Claudia in this brand new situation, with her bumbling her way through and even though she is this genius teenager with a top secret job, we're finally getting to really see her in a typical teenage situation with Todd.

Not that I want them to become center stage or anything, because I prefer the way the show has been handing out screentime between Myka, Pete, Artie, and Claudia right now. They're the main characters and I like that Leena and Mrs. Frederic are recurring. It seems to fit and just because Claudia now has a love interest, I don't think they need to provide her with a bunch more screentime dedicated to said romance.

All that said, I wish they'd waited until after the crossovers to introduce Todd (or at least introduce the first date), because even though I am liking them so far, I already ship Claudia/Fargo way more than Claudia/Todd, just after the "13.1" promo alone! (And this comes from someone who had never seen Eureka at the time I saw the promo, so it's not as if I was already a Fargo fan and the pairing just clicked suddenly. Since the promo came out, I have seen two episodes [trying to prep for the crossover]plus the promo for the Eureka crossover episode, which enforces my Claudia/Fargo obsession even more.) It seems that they're purposely trying to depict Claudia and Fargo chemistry in the promos: "Marry me!" and "This is awkward" as Claudia is lying on top of him.

It's possible that once the episode(s) air, Claudia and Fargo will be an awful pairing in actuality. But at this point,if they end up with far more sparking chemistry than Claudia/Todd in the episode right after the date, I know I'm going to have a hard time going back to the Claudia/Todd budding relationship.

nolefan32

[26]Aug 2, 2010

Princess_Pinky wrote:

MichaudMR wrote:

I am enjoying the Claudia/Todd angle. So far it's cute and sweet and it's nice to see Claudia in this brand new situation, with her bumbling her way through and even though she is this genius teenager with a top secret job, we're finally getting to really see her in a typical teenage situation with Todd.

Not that I want them to become center stage or anything, because I prefer the way the show has been handing out screentime between Myka, Pete, Artie, and Claudia right now. They're the main characters and I like that Leena and Mrs. Frederic are recurring. It seems to fit and just because Claudia now has a love interest, I don't think they need to provide her with a bunch more screentime dedicated to said romance.

All that said, I wish they'd waited until after the crossovers to introduce Todd (or at least introduce the first date), because even though I am liking them so far, I already ship Claudia/Fargo way more than Claudia/Todd, just after the "13.1" promo alone! (And this comes from someone who had never seen Eureka at the time I saw the promo, so it's not as if I was already a Fargo fan and the pairing just clicked suddenly. Since the promo came out, I have seen two episodes [trying to prep for the crossover]plus the promo for the Eureka crossover episode, which enforces my Claudia/Fargo obsession even more.) It seems that they're purposely trying to depict Claudia and Fargo chemistry in the promos: "Marry me!" and "This is awkward" as Claudia is lying on top of him.

It's possible that once the episode(s) air, Claudia and Fargo will be an awful pairing in actuality. But at this point,if they end up with far more sparking chemistry than Claudia/Todd in the episode right after the date, I know I'm going to have a hard time going back to the Claudia/Todd budding relationship.

I agree with you that they probably should have held off on the Claudia/Todd thing for a few episodes, not so much because of the Eureka crossovers, but just because it's a subplot that can easily be stretched and savored a bit. I do love the writing on this show, but they seem to have two speeds - tell everything in a single episode (case in point, the season 2 premiere), or drop one little breadcrumb a season (Artie's dad). Okay, they worked the MacPherson storyline pretty well, but even that could have been effectively stretched better. I just think that the Todd storyline doesn't need to be dealt with in every successive episode since he was introduced.

TankLike

[27]Aug 2, 2010

nolefan32 wrote:

Our situation didn't change, but the circumstances did, and now I feel like a babbling idiot all the time. Anyhow, I'm just using that to show how it's not what you do together that makes the difference, it's the pressure you find yourself under to impress.

Well, maybe that's where my problem lies: I'm never really out to impress people. Somehow I got that whole dancing around each other all wrong. I'm usually just there and try to have fun. The whole emancipation thing got me worked up and made me think we were over all of this. But sadly you're right: We're just animals when it comes to choosing our mating partner...
    Despite my usual MO: That's not intended to be sarcastic. I really meant it!

Anyway, B2T:
    I still think it's more a kind of interrogation since usually - if you wanna build trust and get to know someone - the way to get there is Give a little, get a little. So to keep asking questions until getting an answer just might not be that convincing.

Concerning the speed of the 'shipping:
    Anyone somehow wonders what (and more importantly WHEN) will something happen with Pete and the cute animal doc? 'Cause I'm not that happy with waiting too long für something to happen there.
    @Fargo+Claudia: I do think they'd be totally wrong for each other. Fargo is too old and "conventional" in following his career. So he's not really a "geek" like Claudia who is an autodidact (at least to some extend) and did everything at her own speed and totally out of free will.

I think a more or less genius guy working in a shop is more her "style".

MichaudMR

[28]Aug 2, 2010

One possible bit of awkwardness in shipping Claudia/Fargo would be the age difference between the characters. Although they don't give a specific age, Dr. Douglas Fargo (current head of GD) is probably somewhere in his early 30's, and Claudia is in her late teens.

Neil Grayston was born in 1981, and Alison Scagliotti 1990 so the nine year difference in real life is somewhat out of the norm for their age group but not too bad depending on the relative maturity of the individuals involved.

That said, Fargo is very immature and Claudia is in some ways well ahead of her peers, but in matters of the heart well behind. Anyways, the few tidbits of dialogue we've seen so far lead me to believe the interaction between the two ought to be interesting. We can only hope the writers don't take things too far as it would take up a lot of screen time to sort out and distract from the main plot lines.

nolefan32

[29]Aug 2, 2010
    TankLike wrote:

nolefan32 wrote:

Our situation didn't change, but the circumstances did, and now I feel like a babbling idiot all the time. Anyhow, I'm just using that to show how it's not what you do together that makes the difference, it's the pressure you find yourself under to impress.

Well, maybe that's where my problem lies: I'm never really out to impress people. Somehow I got that whole dancing around each other all wrong. I'm usually just there and try to have fun. The whole emancipation thing got me worked up and made me think we were over all of this. But sadly you're right: We're just animals when it comes to choosing our mating partner...
    Despite my usual MO: That's not intended to be sarcastic. I really meant it!

Anyway, B2T:
    I still think it's more a kind of interrogation since usually - if you wanna build trust and get to know someone - the way to get there is Give a little, get a little. So to keep asking questions until getting an answer just might not be that convincing.

Concerning the speed of the 'shipping:
    Anyone somehow wonders what (and more importantly WHEN) will something happen with Pete and the cute animal doc? 'Cause I'm not that happy with waiting too long für something to happen there.
    @Fargo+Claudia: I do think they'd be totally wrong for each other. Fargo is too old and "conventional" in following his career. So he's not really a "geek" like Claudia who is an autodidact (at least to some extend) and did everything at her own speed and totally out of free will.

I think a more or less genius guy working in a shop is more her "style".

re Pete and the lady vet - I do find it interesting that the writers chose to ignore her completely this last episode and focus on Claudia and her thing, especially since Pete and the vet have a lot more road they need to travel if they're going to ever be a thing. And I do think it's the more interesting story of the two - she seemed especially nasty toward Pete (yeah, there was the whole IRS thing, but she seemed to deal with Myka a lot better, so there was something specifically about Pete that rubbed her the wrong way), and that makes me think it's the more interesting story to follow all the way around. Granted, with Claudia, we're getting to explore how unprepared she is for the experience of dating, and that is turning into an interesting storyline as well, but there's a lot of story to tell with Pete and the vet, too, and yet we're ... not.

Seems like this show sometimes has big setups that don't go anywhere. Last season, we had Artie's secret past (there was a quote about Mrs. F burying everything not to protect him from our government but to protect him from the Russians, so that's a story that was touched on but then dropped), Pete's alcoholism (they go to great pains to establish that he's an alcoholic, but then we've never really done anything with it), and Artie's father (he's not dead, just "lost"). This season, we've potentially got Pete and the lady vet, where the heck is Pete's stuff, and Tracy as plot points that could potentially go nowhere. I realize the stuff from this season, we're only a couple of episodes from them being established, so they may very well go somewhere (and we may very well revisit some of the stuff dropped last season, you never know), I'm just saying.

MichaudMR

[30]Aug 2, 2010

nolefan32 wrote:

Pete's alcoholism (they go to great pains to establish that he's an alcoholic, but then we've never really done anything with it)

WHOA! Pete's alcoholism? I must have totally missed it. Which episode brought that bit of information into the mix? Also, I do remember something about Artie's father, but not in any great detail.

This is why I read these forums, to fill in the blanks on stuff I missed the first time around. It's also why I started the Artifact Scorecard thread last year. It looked like keeping track of them could help us with the various plot twists and turns later on. Now I'm not so sure the artifacts are anything more than throw away props used to drive the immediate action and then just as quickly forgotten about. At this point it feels kind of shoddy to totally abandon the effort, (futile as it might be) so I'll continue adding to the lists at least for now.

TankLike

[31]Aug 2, 2010

MichaudMR wrote:

WHOA! Pete's alcoholism? I must have totally missed it. Which episode brought that bit of information into the mix? Also, I do remember something about Artie's father, but not in any great detail.

This is why I read these forums, to fill in the blanks on stuff I missed the first time around. It's also why I started the Artifact Scorecard thread last year. It looked like keeping track of them could help us with the various plot twists and turns later on. Now I'm not so sure the artifacts are anything more than throw away props used to drive the immediate action and then just as quickly forgotten about. At this point it feels kind of shoddy to totally abandon the effort, (futile as it might be) so I'll continue adding to the lists at least for now.

I think that could lead to more frustration than insight. 'Cause you're like "Why didn't they use this or that artifact to neutralize the effect of that particular threat?".

Until now there haven't been that many artifacts we learnt about. But later in the show I would bet my first born that they will "forget" some of the things they introduced earlier.
    But hey - everybody's gotta hobby, right?

And I still think that Todd is a way better fit for Claudia than Fargo. That said: I do hope they will go ahaed with the relationships. Because I'm definitely not watching the show for the action or the Sci-Fi component...

Edited on 08/02/2010 12:06pm

MichaudMR

[32]Aug 2, 2010

I agree, it's become apparent that the artifacts and their properties are not going to have much in the way of consistency or utility beyond driving the short term storyline. I'm also comfortable wth the direction the writers have taken with them, so no frustration here. It's possible the producers learned a thing or two from the endless problems Star Trek faced with trying to stay consistent within their self imposed canon of events and technology, and are making an effort to stay out of that particular quagmire. Either way, I'll stick to updating the lists for now for their own sake. They may not do any any good, but they're not harming anything either.

That said, I wonder if the "Artifact" in Section 5 at General Dynamics will come up during the crossover episodes? A full season of Eureka was wrapped rather tightly around their "Artifact" then it faded into oblivion with no clear resolution when the storyline wore out. Having the agents snag, bag, tag, and subsequently bury it deep in the bowels of the Warehouse would be a rather fitting end to that particular loose end.

I also agree that Claudia and Todd are a good fit. He doesn't need much air time, but it will be a nice diversion once in a while to see the charactors outside of work and add some dimension to them.

nolefan32

[33]Aug 2, 2010

MichaudMR wrote:

nolefan32 wrote:

Pete's alcoholism (they go to great pains to establish that he's an alcoholic, but then we've never really done anything with it)

Pete's alcoholism is touched on in the very first episode, when he officially meets Artie after taking the job at the warehouse. Artie offers him a drink, but then backs off and suggests something non-alcoholic. At that point, it was very vague, but then it was re-visited when they went to the town where the chair in the reverend's office was making people do whatever they felt, releasing their inhibitions, and I don't remember exactly how it plays out, but Pete says something to the bartender about how long he's been sober. Like I said, they've done a lot to establish he's an alcoholic, but really did nothing with it (likewise, except for explaining why it is Pete can read lips, they've not done much with his deaf sister either).

As for Artie's dad, there's a moment at the end of one of the episodes, I forget which one, where he and Claudia are in the warehouse together, and Artie is tinkering on a keyboard. She asks what the song is, he says he wrote it for his dad, then says something to the effect of they lost him several years ago. Claudia says, "I'm sorry, when did he die?" "Oh, he's not dead, he's just lost - and when I find him, I'm going to play this for him." That was the only time that Artie's father has been referenced in the series.

Princess_Pinky

[34]Aug 2, 2010

nolefan32 wrote:
    (likewise, except for explaining why it is Pete can read lips, they've not done much with his deaf sister either).

I'd love to see Pete's sister, too. Deaf characters in TV always interest me. Though the way they introduced that bit of information - with Pete being able to read lips - really annoyed me. Shows always seem to default to deaf people and lip reading, when the fact is, most deaf people cannot read lips and it's insulting of hearing people toassumethey allcan. (And some of the deaf people who can and/or are oral, choose to not reveal that, so that hearing people don't take advantage of it.) I would hope that if they ever do introduce her, they steer away of any additional deaf stereotypes.

Edited on 08/02/2010 6:53pm

nolefan32

[35]Aug 2, 2010

Princess_Pinky wrote:

nolefan32 wrote:
    (likewise, except for explaining why it is Pete can read lips, they've not done much with his deaf sister either).

I'd love to see Pete's sister, too. Deaf characters in TV always interest me. Though the way they introduced that bit of information - with Pete being able to read lips - really annoyed me. Shows always seem to default to deaf people and lip reading, when the fact is, most deaf people cannot read lips and it's insulting of hearing people toassumethey allcan. (And some of the deaf people who can and/or are oral, choose to not reveal that, so that hearing people don't take advantage of it.) I would hope that if they ever do introduce her, they steer away of any additional deaf stereotypes.

Yeah, I'm hoping that Pete's sister and Myka's sister were not merely invented just as excuses to set up the very next thing that happened in their respective episodes (i.e., Pete's ability to read lips or his speech about how beautiful Myka is). I really prefer it when they just go with the "some girls play with Barbie dolls" thing and don't really explain stuff than to create characters only to set up scenes. If that turns out to be the case, at this rate, both Pete and Myka will come from families that rival the Waltons in size before the show is ever done.

danharr

[36]Aug 4, 2010
    • level: 45

Ok episode I liked the modern version of Dorian Gray thing but knowing this show perhaps an actual portrait story with Dorian Gray will pop up. An excuse just to see Myka look hot and give Claudia a personal life other than that a middle of the road episode for me.

nolefan32

[37]Aug 4, 2010

danharr wrote:

Ok episode I liked the modern version of Dorian Gray thing but knowing this show perhaps an actual portrait story with Dorian Gray will pop up. An excuse just to see Myka look hot and give Claudia a personal life other than that a middle of the road episode for me.

It might, especially given that they established in the episode that the portrait of Dorian Gray is "real" and stored in the warehouse somewhere (Pete: "I gotta stop staring at that thing.").

kanniballl

[38]Aug 9, 2010
    • level: 18

nolefan32 wrote:

danharr wrote:

It might, especially given that they established in the episode that the portrait of Dorian Gray is "real" and stored in the warehouse somewhere (Pete: "I gotta stop staring at that thing.").

HA, I loved that line.

That book brings back memories, it was one of those books we had to read and take a test on. So my friends and I scoured the area to find the film that actually followed the book fairly closely (counter-productive, I know).

Meanwhile, some jocks in the same class just found the first one they could: it was essentially soft-core pron. It was a humorous test-day when one of them said the book rocked and they didn't know old books were so sexy.