Warehouse 13 Forums

Syfy (ended 2014)

Official Discussion Thread: Beyond Our Control (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Jul 18, 2010
    • level: 100
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 7/20/10 episode "Beyond Our Control".

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

nolefan32

[2]Jul 19, 2010
    • level: 11

Looks like it should be an interesting episode, one where the whole thing takes place right in the little unincorporated township adjacent the warehouse. Hopefully this will give some insight as to why after all this time, the town still isn't even wanting to say "hello" to Pete and Myka (which was odd because even though that was the first time we've seen Pete and Myka out and about, they've referenced going for ice cream/burritos/etc. and there's never been any previous mention about the townspeople being cold fish). I've moved around a lot over the years and have had much trouble breaking into the established cliques in some places - after all, some people just don't cotton to strangers very well - but I've never dealt with people that were downright surly, not even in the post office. And maybe this will give Pete and Myka the "in" they need (though in a way, I sort of hope the episode ends with everything going right back to how it was, the people aware of the events but woefully unaffected by them ... much to Pete's chagrin).

kanniballl

[3]Jul 19, 2010
    • level: 18

Well, they did walk around the small town in the pilot. But for the life of me I can't recall how well they were welcomed by the locals.

Maybe it's their *job* to walk around and act like a town. I mean, how cheerful are you at your job :-) And how cheerful would you be if *that* was your job.

nolefan32

[4]Jul 19, 2010
    kanniballl wrote:

Well, they did walk around the small town in the pilot. But for the life of me I can't recall how well they were welcomed by the locals.

Maybe it's their *job* to walk around and act like a town. I mean, how cheerful are you at your job :-) And how cheerful would you be if *that* was your job.

I happen to love my job, thank you very much. I'm a Secret Service agent at this warehouse thingy in South Dakota; my boss is kind of grumpy sometimes, but my partner is hot ......

kanniballl

[5]Jul 21, 2010
    • level: 18

LOL, I guess I should've seen that coming. They did technically work for the Treasury Department, so IRS isn't that much of a stretch and explains why people don't like them.

It was a fun episode, my favorite part was their bit about hoping nobody fast-forwards through commercials... right before the commercial break. The evil monologue bit was also funny.

---------------------

I guess she drew an Omega symbol on the sheet of paper, meaning this grand plan might be quite catastrophic.

---------------------

A re-appearance of the regents! I like that actor. He usually dominates the episodes of other TV shows he appears on, though I have to admit his Warehouse 13 appearances are rather ordinary.

---------------------

Considering how much Philo Farnsworth gets mentioned in the show, and they had an actor portray him in an actual episode, I wonder if they'll bring him back for an episode or two later.

kaly24

[7]Jul 21, 2010
    • level: 1

Mark Sheppard is great. I think he's great in leverage and he fills out the regent part really well. I'm also excited about Faran Tahir joining the cast later in the season, also going to be a great addition for those episodes. Anyway back to the storyline! It's great that someone just trying to mind their own business while watching some classics is unknowingly participating in the town's destruction, and the timeline they set by his movie progression is a really clever way to give the sense of urgency. All in all it was a good episode this week. And btw here's a great recap of the story, there are a bunch of good roundups of important facts from the episode http://ology.com/screen/warehouse-13-recap-wild-wild-wichita enjoy!

amaryllis88

[8]Jul 21, 2010
    • level: 20

I really liked this episode, even if they didn't exactly go anywhere fabulous, and finding out about the town's name. I did enjoy the shout out from the writers/producers of our show, Drew Z. Greenberg & Jane Espenson to their fellow former Buffy/Angel alum writer Steven S. DeKnight by slipping in the word "Spartacus," in their dialogue. Steven is the head writer for "Spartacus," that airs on Starz.

What did Artie mean that he hasn't been benign since 1956? (Was that the right year? Or did he say 1955?) I'm rather curious as to what he meant by that. Also, the depth to which Ms. Fredericks is going to help Leena recover from her visions makes me question how much she really cares for her associates. Before Ms. Fredericks was involved she seemed not to have cared all that much about the others, but I guess since the explosion, she seems to be playing a more prominent role in their life....even though Leena was told to let her know if she started experiencing anything out of the ordinary,poor thing, had to have thePearl re-inserted to feel better. So, I guess that answersmy question, she didn't give it to Artie & crew to log it into their inventory, she's keeping it.

I loved when Claudia met that guy at the hardware store, wonder if that'll go anywhere. Oh, and definitely Pete with his bowl of popcorn and leading everybody else to his room to watch a movie! How sweet.

Edited on 07/21/2010 9:48am

nolefan32

[9]Jul 21, 2010
    amaryllis88 wrote:

I really liked this episode, even if they didn't exactly go anywhere fabulous, and finding out about the town's name. I did enjoy the shout out from the writers/producers of our show, Drew Z. Greenberg & Jane Espenson to their fellow former Buffy/Angel alum writer Steven S. DeKnight by slipping in the word "Spartacus," in their dialogue. Steven is the head writer for "Spartacus," that airs on Starz.

What did Artie mean that he hasn't been benign since 1956? (Was that the right year? Or did he say 1955?) I'm rather curious as to what he meant by that. Also, the depth to which Ms. Fredericks is going to help Leena recover from her visions makes me question how much she really cares for her associates. Before Ms. Fredericks was involved she seemed not to have cared all that much about the others, but I guess since the explosion, she seems to be playing a more prominent role in their life....even though Leena was told to let her know if she started experiencing anything out of the ordinary,poor thing, had to have thePearl re-inserted to feel better. So, I guess that answersmy question, she didn't give it to Artie & crew to log it into their inventory, she's keeping it.

I loved when Claudia met that guy at the hardware store, wonder if that'll go anywhere. Oh, and definitely Pete with his bowl of popcorn and leading everybody else to his room to watch a movie! How sweet.

As far as the Mrs. F and Leena thing, it reminds me of a popular theory I've seen floated around about them, that they're mother and daughter. Other theories have been that they're the same person (i.e., they change back and forth - but that's clearly been disproven), or that they're the younger and older versions of the same person existing in the same timeline (though that doesn't seem as likely either). Of course, this is mostly because they're both African-American - you don't see people wondering if Myka and Claudia are the same person, or Pete and Myka. It's not unlike the people who wanted the believe that the reason Shepherd Book knew so much about operatives is that he *was* the Operative, come back in time to right his wrongs or something.

TankLike

[10]Jul 21, 2010
    • level: 7

Well, I liked the episode. The whole Leena and Mrs. F part of the story didn't psych me that much. But at least now I finally understand why it's so important: Residual memories or hints of McPhearson could be crucial to their investigation concerning HGW. I never really got that before!

Funny thing about the whole "wannabe family endings": The more often they do it the more believable it seems. I'm also thrilled that they make Claudia more of a "person" by giving her something to do (or possibly someONE) outside the Warehouse.
    Although the whole "messing with artifacts" is very dangerous. And Claudia should know that!

And I'm guessing they are trying to do something like the Eureka-Carter/Tess despise-turning-into-friendship-or-more thing with Pete and that veterinarian (who is totally hot by the way!). I'm looking forward to that.

Tha plot was kinda lame - especially the whole "repairing" of the camera. There were too many obstacles and everything fell in place just a bit too neatly.
    But the idea of that pairing 3D camera and projector and making the pictures come to life was awesome IMHO

nolefan32

[11]Jul 21, 2010
    I liked the episode, probably the best one yet this season (though we're only three episodes into the season, so I realize that's not saying a whole lot, but they have been three pretty decent episodes).

Much as I like Badger, err, Mark Sheppard, I really didn't think he brought much to this episode, and so far I've not been terribly impressed with the Regents. Neat idea, but the less we see of them, the better I think it will be. Just every so often have Mrs. Frederic mention them, that she got a directive from them or something, but keep them out of the actual episode. Sort of like the shark in Jaws, the less we saw it, the scarier it was; in this case, the less we see of the Regents, the more ominous they are. The more they show up, the less mystical they seem.

I like the banter between Pete and the veterinarian. Maybe we are setting up Pete a love interest, other than Myka. That'd be nice. It will also be fun to watch if she thinks he's from the IRS and is pissed off at him for it.

I also like how the IRS thing seems to answer why the town is so surly to them, and it definitely played nicely with the post office worker. But it still seems contrived, at least in the sense that last season, Pete, Myka and Claudia frequently went into town and seemed to enjoy it, didn't seem to get the cold shoulder like they do now (and it seems odd that it's taken until *now* that Pete, Myka and Claudia find out they're IRS workers, that in the six months or year or however long it's been that they've been in the town, not once has it ever come up previously). Heck, when Artie went out for pie and met the Regents last season, it didn't seem the least bit odd to him then that the waitress was being nice to him, considering that everyone in town is otherwise surly, and yet it didn't dawn on him that something was amiss until Mrs. F pointed out that she and everyone else in the room were the Regents. So in that respect, this season does seem rather incongruent with last season.

Though I do admit that it makes sense that there'd be some sort of cover story for what the town thinks the warehouse is, and the IRS storage facility is just mundane enough that it would keep people from wanting to investigate further.

I'm also with Tank - the "family" ending worked better in this episode than in the previous one. And it sort of makes sense that they'd all bond, in that if everyone in town hates them, then all they've really got is each other. My only problem is that the writers didn't do much at all to hint at any of this being the case in the first season, so there's just a lot of it that seems to be coming out of nowhere, even if they do want us to believe it's been the case all along.

And I also agree with the thought that Claudia might actually be getting a love interest in town, as well. That, too, made this episode neat, because it really got everyone out of the warehouse and into the community, rather than just off on a mission, and so it's an arena where we can see even different sides of everyone.

As for the Spartacus reference, doubt there's a Buffy link there. Jane Espenson (and Brent Mote) are the creators of the show, but nothing I've found shows them having been involved with it past the production of the very first episode. They set the tone, but it's been other people involved since, and she's the only one behind the scenes with any Buffy link. Spartacus may indeed have a Buffy link, but honestly when I hear the word, I'm thinking of the Kirk Douglas film (with the classic line, "I am Spartacus!"). Of course, Spartacus was a real guy, both the movie and the series are based on his life and the slave revolt he led.

haldrey

[12]Jul 23, 2010
    • level: 22
    When Pete said 'and the R stand for Revenue' in reference tor IRS I wonder for what word was the lady using the R. 'Rotten' maybe?

nolefan32

[13]Jul 23, 2010

haldrey wrote:
    When Pete said 'and the R stand for Revenue' in reference tor IRS I wonder for what word was the lady using the R. 'Rotten' maybe?
    I wondered that myself. And the most risqué I could come up with (i.e., that the writers wouldn't want to let us hear on prime-time TV) was "rectal". But even that's not really so bad. It's possible the writers really didn't have a meaning in mind, they figured it would elicit a giggle no matter what. Which it did.

amaryllis88

[14]Jul 23, 2010
    • level: 20
    nolefan32 wrote:
    As for the Spartacus reference, doubt there's a Buffy link there. Jane Espenson (and Brent Mote) are the creators of the show, but nothing I've found shows them having been involved with it past the production of the very first episode.

I didn't intend to bring it down the Buffy route of linkage, I was just bringing up that the writers/executive producers of this episode, worked with the head writer for Spartacus: Blood & Sand, more of a Joss Whedon link than anything else.

Jacks_Son

[15]Jul 28, 2010
    • level: 13

I liked the little "Shout Out" to "Smallville's" episode featuring DC's comic's The Wonder Twins, when Claudia (who played Jayna, one of the twins in that episode) told Todd he was her Wonder Twin.

danharr

[16]Jul 28, 2010
    • level: 45

Decent episode I want the Lena/Mrs. F sleeper agent thing to be done with I've heard enough about Mcpherson for a while. Pete was overly dumb don't like when they go off the deep end with the slap stick the agents should be competent and the comedy should come from the artifacts. I also think HGW should take a rest as well the agents have more to do than chase this one person like last season each episode did not mention Mcpherson.

nolefan32

[17]Jul 28, 2010
    danharr wrote:

Decent episode I want the Lena/Mrs. F sleeper agent thing to be done with I've heard enough about Mcpherson for a while. Pete was overly dumb don't like when they go off the deep end with the slap stick the agents should be competent and the comedy should come from the artifacts. I also think HGW should take a rest as well the agents have more to do than chase this one person like last season each episode did not mention Mcpherson.

For all of those reasons, you'll love Age Before Beauty. Except for Claudia's budding romance, it's pretty much a stand-alone episode.