Warehouse 13 Forums

Syfy (ended 2014)

Official Discussion Thread: Don't Hate the Player (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Aug 14, 2011
    • level: 103
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 8/15/11 episode "Don't Hate the Player" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Princess_Pinky

[2]Aug 15, 2011
    • level: 11

Well, this is officially my new favorite episode of the series! LaughingI hope to be back later with properly formed thoughts.

mepm

[3]Aug 16, 2011
    • level: 2

Fargo doing this project didn't make much sense at all to me, seeing as how he didn't even have enough time to run G.D. and go for the titan mission I doubt he's going to have time for this.

nolefan32

[4]Aug 16, 2011
    Princess_Pinky wrote:

Well, this is officially my new favorite episode of the series! LaughingI hope to be back later with properly formed thoughts.

I'm not going to call it my favorite episode of the series (that's still the Alice in Wonderland episode, Duped), but I think it's the best outing this season. Claudia as an elf, Pete as a gladiator and Myka as ... whatever that dominatrix archer thing she was supposed to be ... very cool.

I loved Pete's line to Claudia about the princess ... how could you not see this coming. My wife didn't see the other Fargo episode and yet she saw the Claudia-as-princess turn coming, but it would have been disappointing had it been any other way, and I give the writers great credit for having some fun with it.

Jinks' constantly telling the truth - not really surprising that a guy who can spot lies in others doesn't really have the ability to tell lies of his own. And Artie's "that never gets old" (regarding Jinks saying he was lying) was funny, too. The fact that the evil FBI agent is a good liar, that's an interesting turn, too.

And the absolute highlight - the Star Trek fight music as Pete and the others battled the evil girlfriend. I so got my geek on throughout this whole episode.

Now for the stuff I wasn't impressed with. The bad guys, so far, aren't impressing me. They just don't have the wow factor that H.G. Wells had last season, heck they're paling in comparision to McPherson at this point. Granted, there's the whole who-is-the-baddie-in-the-wheelchair thing (have we seen him before, is that why his identity is secret so far?), but I'm just not feeling it. I also wasn't terribly impressed with the game itself. The best parts of the game were brought into the mix not by the programmers but by the tea set - the game itself seemed to be kind of boring. Release the Lena angel, go to the black tower and free Princess Claudia, game over. Outside of the WH13 crew, there's not even the oh-my-gawd-it's-Artie factor. Boring. It felt like Warehouse 13 meets the offspring of Tron and the live-action game MagiQuest, except that Tron and MagiQuest were/are way more exciting. Nice idea, Fargo, but needs a LOT of work.

I think someone else mentioned that it was a little unrealistic for Fargo to be in this episode the way he was, as he's so busy already with his Eureka duties. I don't watch Eureka, but even I did find it interesting that the CEO of a major company had time to hang out in Silicon Valley and work on this new technology. Though with Eureka being cancelled, he's about to have a lot of time on his hands, so maybe this episode was a future episode. At least it was a better used cameo than Dr. Vanessa was on Alphas.

kat4543

[5]Aug 16, 2011
    • level: 4

I agree this episode had good parts and bad parts. Fargo's game was great, but the Jinks and artie part was dum. jinks is suppost to tell when someone is not tell the truth and can't tell when the evil fbi agent isn't.

kanniballl

[6]Aug 16, 2011
    • level: 18

mepm wrote:

Fargo doing this project didn't make much sense at all to me, seeing as how he didn't even have enough time to run G.D. and go for the titan mission I doubt he's going to have time for this.

Alt-Fargo could've started it and laid the ground-work. After the timeline switch, we find out that Alt-Fargo had done a whole bunch of work on the side that Our Fargo knew nothing about.

Meanwhile, Our Fargo did some mind/computer interface stuff way back in the day... he could've recycled that work... added some new tech... and walla.

Still, there are some plot/logic holes.

- On one hand we have Fargo drooling over Felicia Day's character, and on another over Allison Scagliotti's character. Sure, one can like 2 people at the same time... but he's really trying to have a relationship with the Holly character and none of that came out here.

- Is someone working in GD allowed to have a publically-launched / investable project like that? I know most companies keep/own all of the work you do... even if you are a boss.

kanniballl

[7]Aug 16, 2011

kat4543 wrote:

I agree this episode had good parts and bad parts. Fargo's game was great, but the Jinks and artie part was dum. jinks is suppost to tell when someone is not tell the truth and can't tell when the evil fbi agent isn't.

Well, for starters... maybe they have an artifact that shields her, or perhaps he can't tell if a pschopath is lying, or perhaps it's an alt-personality thing they setup and trigger her to go "evil" when they need her.

Or...

I don't recall her lines... has she said a lie? If she's been careful about her responses then maybe it's all true. Like, he's she's here as an FBI agent to investigate the death. Meanwhile, her boss arranged for her to be the agent sent there in the first place. Stuff like that. One can tell nothing but true facts, and still not be telling the truth.

kanniballl

[8]Aug 16, 2011

Not bad. It had his moments, I loved the whole Artie thing inside the fortress... including Pete's observation that he's going to be mighty pissed.

The Star Trek music was a hoot!

I wonder how much the post-processing to turn everyone into line-art / cell-shading cost. Combined with the regular SFX (dragon, teleporting, etc) it must've been one of the most expensive episodes they've had. And that's taking into account re-using the warehouse aisles for most of the set.

I like how every now and then they went into "First Person Mode." That was a nice touch, considering it was a video game they were in.

Really, Claudia was surprised at the identity of the princess? Eh, her response to the whole thing was great (What is that on my chest).

She had the saddest fear of them all... really that must suck. Not to mention, it was believable. You were a psych patient diagnosed with believing in a fantasy (brother's death). Seeing an image of your doctor telling you this is all just a fantasy is pretty dark... considering everything she's experienced lately is quite fantastic. Brother coming back from the "dead" while un-aged. Crazy contraptions / mythical devices / etc. Inside a video game.

Edited on 08/16/2011 11:16am

nolefan32

[9]Aug 16, 2011
    kanniballl wrote:

Really, Claudia was surprised at the identity of the princess? Eh, her response to the whole thing was great (What is that on my chest).

Let's not overlook how completely airheaded the princess was. I don't think Fargo earned any points with Claudia by programming her that way.

I got the impression Allison must have had some fun getting to play the princess, just getting to go against type like that and make a statement with it at the same time.

NewSpace

[10]Aug 17, 2011
    • level: 8

I do love this show but I have to say, this episode was pathetically stupid. It's like the writers had never played a video game. What was with the lame 'video game' effect? It looked like a bad Photoshop effect. Effects and bad writing aside, the execution of the plot was horrendous.

I really can't stand half-baked, stereotyped representations of video games and computers in TV and movies. It's never really done well and always comes across like the writers and directors did zero research.

This was adisappointingepisode. Even the scenes involving Artie and Jenks were dull.

I only make this post because the show is usually really good. I don't know why this episode is so different, but it is.

MichaudMR

[11]Aug 18, 2011
    • level: 17

All in all I liked this episode. Claudia is rapidly becoming my favorite character, and she really carried the "A" plot-line on this one. I just loved the look she shot Fargo when he made that comment about "old girlfriends". However, there was one plot hole we could drive a truck through; why didn't Artie or Jinks just Tesla Agent Stukowski when she showed up during the grab at the museum? As far as I know, one of the side effects of the Tesla is memory loss covering the moments just prior to getting hit. Also, I seriously doubt Stukowski gave them back the original Van Gogh and suspect this possibility is going to come back and bite them all at some point (beyond the mechanical bugs which are now invading the Warehouse.

kanniballl

[12]Aug 18, 2011

MichaudMR wrote:

However, there was one plot hole we could drive a truck through; why didn't Artie or Jinks just Tesla Agent Stukowski when she showed up during the grab at the museum? As far as I know, one of the side effects of the Tesla is memory loss covering the moments just prior to getting hit.

I was wondering the same thing. IN the pilot and some other episodes they established that getting "zapped" meant you lost some of your recent memory, like the last couple of min before the zap. A VERY useful feature, else people would be reporting getting zapped with a ray gun.

And as we saw with Artie back in Season 1, he was no qualms about using an artifact to temporarily neutralize federal agents. He tesla'd the guy in the Pilot, and then used the camera to turn Pete's/Myka's old boss into a card board cut out.

I see it as a convenient plot-hole so they had to work together.

However, if you're like me and need a quick non-cannon explanation in your head to stop thinking about it:

- Tense situation, she was on guard and probably didn't want to risk her shooting back

- If he Tesla'd her, then what? They'd have to finish the robbery and move her into the hallway and perhaps ruining her career. "Why were you here after hours, near where a painting was stolen?"

In any case, Artie should know something is up.

kanniballl

[13]Aug 18, 2011

I watched the episode again, though I wasn't paying THAT much attention I was listening to her lines.

Not many lies, and many things that could've been true had it been arranged that way.

But I wasn't paying THAT much attention.

Plus, as suggested earlier, maybe she has a way to block the lie detector.

nolefan32

[14]Aug 18, 2011
    People in movies and TV shows do stupid stuff all the time. Horror movies are the worst. How many times have we seen the screaming blonde girl run upstairs where she's trapped by the maniac and easy pickings, instead of out the back door and to a neighbor's house for safety. Eddie Murphy used to joke about how short the Amityville Horror would have been had the family been black - once the voice said "get out", they'd be out. Unfortunately, smart characters make for short movies.

I thought the same thing too - why couldn't they have just Tesla'd her. At least the wedding episode had a throwaway line about it being "a wedding, we don't need the Teslas" to contend with that plot hole. This episode didn't offer us that. But just as it would have been a really short episode if Pete had just Tesla'd the Marines, this one would have been really short had they Tesla'd the evil FBI agent. I just gave them credit for not thinking fast enough, and tried not to think too hard about how, though Jinks was new to situations like this, Artie had been in plenty of similar situations where he had no problem whipping his Tesla out (and yes, I'm aware that reads like a naughty euphamism).

I guess I've just gotten used to moments like this and try not to pay too much attention to them. Which is also why some shows that try to make their audiences think irritate me - make up your mind, do you want me thinking about every little nitnoid detail, or do you want me paying only cursory attention to your show so I'm not spotting every weak plot device you have to employ to keep the thing afloat? But as long as the writers don't make the plot devices so screaming obvious, I don't worry about it.

Princess_Pinky

[15]Aug 19, 2011

mepm wrote:

The shows don't necessarily have to be taking place concurrently though. I haven't paid close enough attention to try and pinpoint where exactly the shows are in their individualin-story timelines as I have with other shows, but it's possible that the events of "Don't Hate The Player" could take place before the events of "Liftoff." (Also, it sounds like Gibson and Jerry did a fair bit of the work, too, so it wasn't entirely on Fargo's shoulders. Plus, given Fargo's resources - Parrish's comment about Pierre Fargo in "Glimpse" seems to imply that Pierre may not have been cryogenically frozen in this timeline, so could be extremely well off and famous for hiswork- he might have been able to hire a good number of people to help him get FARGAMES off the ground in Palo Alto, while he was busy at GD.)

haldrey

[16]Aug 19, 2011
    • level: 22
    Maybe not my favorite episode but quite close to it and definitively one of the funniest. Pete in that gladiator avatar was just hilarious.

danharr

[17]Aug 22, 2011
    • level: 45

Good episode always knew Lena had nice big wings it was great to see them and yes obviously fbi chick has an artifact protecting her from Jinks and although odd Fargo not mentioning GD I'll let it pass it was a good story cut em a brake.