Warehouse 13 Forums

Syfy (ended 2014)

Official Discussion Thread: Duped (possible spoilers)

Carycomic

[21]Aug 31, 2009
    • level: 13

I missed part of Lena's explanation, though. Was Alice Liddell supposed to be some kind of "Bad Seed" serial killer?* And, the mirror (supposedly by random coincidence) dragged her in like a black hole?

*For those who never saw the movie, think "The Good Son." Only with Cindy Brady, instead of Macaulay Culkin.

Edited on 08/31/2009 1:00pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kalel18

[22]Aug 31, 2009
    • level: 11
    haraldpaulsen wrote:

Loved the episode but the ending was silly, sorry.

Alice can see the future, and she doesn't use the chip more often to see that they are trying to catch her?

And how did our gang figure out that they even had a chance to catch someone who could see the future?!

Sorry, the ending was a cop-out for me.

You have a valid point. It's something the writers should have caught; they sometimes do not pay attention to the little details. I've been one of the bigger complainers in the past, but have decided to not sweat the small stuff. So for me, personally, it was not enough to spoil a good episode. I don't agree that the ending was a cop-out, but I respect your opinion.

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Hey Kalel, how are you? Was it only me or were you dying laughing when you saw the face of the electrically charred and tied to the chair gambler when Pete pretended he had been killed? He was electrically fried and in obvious pain but that facial expression was priceless... Another great episode!!!
    Doing well my friend. Yes I did find it funny.

Excellent episode.

I still have the image of Alice, hammer in hand, in the Warehouse with "White Rabbit" playing in the background, bouncing around in my head.

Carycomic wrote:
    I missed part of Lena's explanation, though. Was Alice Liddell supposed to be some kind of "Bad Seed" serial killer?* And, the mirror (supposedly by random coincidence) dragged her in like a black hole? *For those who never saw the movie, think "The Good Son." Only with Cindy Brady, instead of Macaulay Culkin.
    I actually don't remember how the explanation went down, but she was definitely supposed to be a "bad seed."

Also, for anyone who has never seen the movie "The Bad Seed" and is interested, ignore the 1985 remake, and go straight to the 1956 original. It's readily available online.

Young Patty McCormack's portrayal of sweet, precocious (evil, demented) young Rhoda was truly chilling. She would have taken that character portrayed by Macaulay Culkin in "The Good Son", chewed him up, spat him out, and used one of his splintered bones to pick her teeth clean.

lynna12000

[23]Aug 31, 2009
    • level: 21
    I did end up feeling bad for Alice. If she had not been trapped in the mirror originally she would have ended up in either a mental institution or prison. She would have had some hope of getting out if only by death. As it is now, she has spent at least 70-80 years trapped in the mirror, with nothing to interact with. If she wasn't crazy to start with, the lack of sensory input would have driven her stark raving mad.

Carycomic

[24]Sep 1, 2009
    Kalel18 wrote:
    haraldpaulsen wrote:

Alice can see the future, and she doesn't use the chip more often to see that they are trying to catch her?

And how did our gang figure out that they even had a chance to catch someone who could see the future?!

You have a valid point. It's something the writers should have caught; they sometimes do not pay attention to the little details. I've been one of the bigger complainers in the past, but have decided to not sweat the small stuff. So for me, personally, it was not enough to spoil a good episode. I don't agree that the ending was a cop-out, but I respect your opinion.

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Hey Kalel, how are you? Was it only me or were you dying laughing when you saw the face of the electrically charred and tied to the chair gambler when Pete pretended he had been killed? He was electrically fried and in obvious pain but that facial expression was priceless... Another great episode!!!
    Doing well my friend. Yes I did find it funny.

Excellent episode.

I still have the image of Alice, hammer in hand, in the Warehouse with "White Rabbit" playing in the background, bouncing around in my head.

Carycomic wrote:
    I missed part of Lena's explanation, though. Was Alice Liddell supposed to be some kind of "Bad Seed" serial killer?* And, the mirror (supposedly by random coincidence) dragged her in like a black hole? *For those who never saw the movie, think "The Good Son." Only with Cindy Brady, instead of Macaulay Culkin.
    I actually don't remember how the explanation went down, but she was definitely supposed to be a "bad seed."

Also, for anyone who has never seen the movie "The Bad Seed" and is interested, ignore the 1985 remake, and go straight to the 1956 original. It's readily available online.

Young Patty McCormack's portrayal of sweet, precocious (evil, demented) young Rhoda was truly chilling. She would have taken that character portrayed by Macaulay Culkin in "The Good Son", chewed him up, spat him out, and used one of his splintered bones to pick her teeth clean.

In other words, Culkin's character would _not_ have lived long enough to prosper. \V/

Lol!

Edited on 09/01/2009 5:01pm

thetruesora

[25]Sep 1, 2009
    • level: 22
    I thought it was weird (in a good way) seeing the two from Eureka as a couple in this too. Next episode has Henry from Eureka. Maybe Global Dynamics is testing Pete and Myka!

lynna12000

[26]Sep 1, 2009
    haraldpaulsen wrote:

Alice couldn't see the entirety of the future; at least not the way I interpreted it. The chip showed her how to destroy the mirror. It showed her how to gain entry to the Warehouse, where the hammer was and the location of the mirror. At a guess, the old saw about being careful what you wish for is rather true. Despite being an apparent sociopath who spent several LIFETIMES stuck in the mirror with no sensory input, Alice was still a child. Children don't think long term. For them there is really only the short term.

For Alice, her goal was to ensure she never had to be stuck in that horrible place again. To bad for her that she didn't wish that someone else destroy the mirror.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[27]Sep 1, 2009
    lynna12000 wrote:
    haraldpaulsen wrote:

Alice couldn't see the entirety of the future; at least not the way I interpreted it. The chip showed her how to destroy the mirror. It showed her how to gain entry to the Warehouse, where the hammer was and the location of the mirror. At a guess, the old saw about being careful what you wish for is rather true. Despite being an apparent sociopath who spent several LIFETIMES stuck in the mirror with no sensory input, Alice was still a child. Children don't think long term. For them there is really only the short term.

For Alice, her goal was to ensure she never had to be stuck in that horrible place again. To bad for her that she didn't wish that someone else destroy the mirror.

Exactly! She was hell bent on destroying the mirror. Not so concerned about the future. She only used the artifact to see the future to gain entry into Warehouse 13. As there was a clear path for her to the mirror, there was no need for her to use the artifact to continually look into the future.

thetruesora

[28]Sep 2, 2009
    If she was still a child then that makes it wrong that she was kissing Pete (even if she was appearing as Myka).

lynna12000

[29]Sep 2, 2009
    thetruesora wrote:
    If she was still a child then that makes it wrong that she was kissing Pete (even if she was appearing as Myka).

You can't blame Pete for that. At the time he didn't know it was Alice, and not Myka. Alice did not look like a child. She looked like an attractive woman who Pete likes..a lot.

Alice had been deprived of any sensory input for a long time. No sound, no physical touch, no taste...nothing; to be able to experience ANY feeling at all would be something deeply desired.

thetruesora

[30]Sep 2, 2009
    I didn't think of Alice still as a child (it did show her as a child in the mirror but that could of been just that "her body didn't age in the mirror"). So seeing you say in your post that she's still a child makes that scene now kinda awkward. Pete still didn't seem to have any trouble with telling Myka he kissed Alice while appearing as her.

lynna12000

[31]Sep 2, 2009
    Mentally, Alice is not an adult. Regardless of how long she was in that mirror; she never had a chance to develop as an adult. Someone can be 40 years old and STILL be a child.

nyjets111

[32]Sep 29, 2009
    • level: 4
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    lynna12000 wrote:
    haraldpaulsen wrote:

Alice couldn't see the entirety of the future; at least not the way I interpreted it. The chip showed her how to destroy the mirror. It showed her how to gain entry to the Warehouse, where the hammer was and the location of the mirror. At a guess, the old saw about being careful what you wish for is rather true. Despite being an apparent sociopath who spent several LIFETIMES stuck in the mirror with no sensory input, Alice was still a child. Children don't think long term. For them there is really only the short term. For Alice, her goal was to ensure she never had to be stuck in that horrible place again. To bad for her that she didn't wish that someone else destroy the mirror.
    Exactly! She was hell bent on destroying the mirror. Not so concerned about the future. She only used the artifact to see the future to gain entry into Warehouse 13. As there was a clear path for her to the mirror, there was no need for her to use the artifact to continually look into the future.

In addition, I think the coin only showed the future that was written in stone. The guys in the warehouse wanted her in so that is what she saw. THey had plans, however, to try and prevent the destruction of the mirror. Therefore, the future was murky at that point therefore the coin did not show the destruction of the mirror.